Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now that I had a GOOD chance of playing with my ZenPad 4, I can write a decent review. Out of the box experience:When I first pulled this thing out the box I was disappointed that it didn't include my 8gb micro SD card. I knew this was going to happen and I have been emailing Enso hoping to get a response. If you want my advise, DO NOT BUY FROM ENSO! Anyway, let me tell you that the screen is VERY responsive. I am not sure what others are complaining about but it is pretty damn good. I did a video where I was comparing how lightly I must tap for it to launch an application verses the iPad. Its literally the SAME experience. When I got my tablet it was running the oldest version of the software. My tablet was delayed a week because they were suppose to update it but they did NOT do ANYTHING! Updating the Software:This was a pain in the ass for me cuz I was on mac. I tried using VMware but it wouldnt work for some odd reason. I ended up having to install Windows XP on a separate partition. I updated to, what WAS the latest firmware, 0809 and the responsiveness of the screen was even better!Tricks and Hacks:A couple things I found out quickly, this device is far from perfect. The only way it is usable is if it is hacked. If you are not into that kind of stuff and looking for an "iPad-like" experience, you will NOT find it here. This involves you understand android and know how to use ADB. If you have never used android, this might put u off as being ur first device. But if you love hacking like I do, then you will have a great time. If your willing to put the time, its one fun experience.Sofware Hacks:After installing the latest firmware I did the following things-rooted it-installed gmail, google talk and market-installed 240+ apps (pull from my nexus one)-used autokiller and set it to strict (I may change it to another setting later)-TX wifi hack which lowers the power to 20% and gives you a stronger signal-took the android ID from my nexus and injected it into the tablet**THE MARKET AND GOOGLE TALK DO NOT WORK! THEY ARE INSTALLED AND YOU CAN SEARCH FOR APPS ON THE MARKET BUT IT CURRENTLY WILL NOT LET YOU DOWNLOAD APPS**Hardware Hacks:-flipped the wifi chip over so its point upwards instead of straight into the screen-placed a washer (held down by some tape) over the 'can' on the wifi chipThese hacks gave me better signal strength (based on the wifi indicator) and I have had no connection problems.Future Hacks:-install a bigger battery-replace the speakers (if needed)Tips:Screen wont turn off- this problem is quite annoying. the screen will fade to its lowest setting then it will just stay on the lockscreen. there is an application called "Screen Off" that can be bought from the market and installed. This app turns off the screen but if you tap or a notification comes up, the screen will light up again. You have to tap the application every time for it to work; it doesnt just happen automatically.Overall Experience:Look, I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought this tablet. I paid $236 for this tablet. I have seen other pay under $200. It just depends on the vendor. I made a mistake by making a purchase with Enso, I should have looked elsewhere. I was deceived and they have more of my money then they deserve and I want some of it back.If you are an android enthusiast and LOVE to mess with gadgets, then this tablet is for you. Out of the box, it will suck; that is for sure. But once you properly install the right apps you can turn this into something great. Is it an iPad killer? WHO CARES! Its different than an iPad in so many ways. The question comes to thisPerformance:I can say this tablet is very quick if you set it up properly. I can multitask just fine. I can run about 3-4 apps with no problems. TASK KILLERS ARE YOUR FRIENDS!! When the tablet is boot and nothing running, there is 62mb of RAM that is free. If you run about 5-6 apps, you memory drops to 29mb free (i havent seen it drop lower than that). At that point, it gets very sluggish and unresponsive. This is when I use a task killer. We definitely need to get SWAP working, this will use a portion of the sdcard for addtional RAM. It should be top priority in my book. Typing on it with the default keyboard is horrible. There is no dictionary let alone auto-correct. You must get a replacement keyboard. I wouldnt say its the same experience as typing on an iPad, but with the ability to install alternative keyboards, you wont have a hard time typing on it.Apps that work great:-Tapatalk-Skyfire-Launcher Pro Plus (yes the widgets do work!)-SlideIt keyboard (its graphically oversized, but works amazingly! YOU MUST DOWNLOAD IT!)-Speedtest-IM+-Dropbox-Powerstrip-Maildroid-Gmail (notifications don't work though)-Taskiller-Astro-Aldiko-Carrom 3D (a bit choppy but definitely playable)-Pktauction -Wigetlocker (only works in portrait mode and i cant make it the default lockscreen)Accessories:Not working:-bluetooth adapter: when you plug it in you get a mouse cursor. i tired using a bluetooth transfer program but it will not detect the hardware-HP Webcam: on some sites its listed that it has a USB for plugging in a USB camera but this doesnt work. when you open the camera app, you get white and black boxes.Working-4GB USB thumb driveIf you guys have specific things you want me to try, let me know. I will try to get videos up when possible.Updates0703-A waste of time. This firmware was full of bloatware and the tablet was extremely slow but it did give me that WOW factor when I touched the screen for the first time0804-I completely skipped this firmware.0809-This firmware by far had the best responsiveness in terms of the screen. Unfortunately, I had a lot of force closed apps but it was pretty quick0818-This is a disappointed update IMO. Sure it feels stable, but it feels a lil slow and the touch screen is not as responsive anymore. Hoping the next version will be better.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya ill definitely try to get a video up today. im just trying to get some of the google apps on there. i rooted it but i just need to get some apps on here. with no sd card its gonna be a lil annoying tho.

·
Registered
104 Posts
nice written review man. Makes me want one, but i dont know android. Would like it to just work out the box. But i refuse to pay that ridiculous price of the ipad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts