inch 2661.90%
inch 49.52%
inch 24.76%
0 inch 614.29%
1 inch and up24.76%

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
8" 800x600 works very well for me. Both for Picture viewing and Ebook reading.1024x600 at 10" besides being ~16:9 instead of 4:3 is a little low rez. 1024X768 or 1366x768 would be better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7 inch seems to be right for me. I can still hold it with the hands for long period of time while surfing for free at the mall, or surfing wifi for free standing, when there's no table available, or I am just simply too cheap not buy expensive coffee on coffeeshops.but still ok for the eyes. although personally I would want something slightly smaller than 7 inch. Just a little. Well since I am using a tablet with a thick frame, I would expect newer tablets to be slim with thin frames. So I should say I am happy and contented being a 7 inch user for a tablet

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did boot up a acer one with android live hooked up to a 42 inch LCD.I really liked that but the media player lacks. I am a XBMC user and we need something like that for Android, movie over the LAN.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
8" for eBook reading, which is my main use for the Tablet because I also produce eBooks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As I responded over on engadget to the article about Google's tablet disavowal: Let's see: Tablet/Netbook/small notebook-sized screen (anything equal or over 800x600/ 7 inches, approximately), multitasking, but only one task at a time showing on a single window - something is wrong with that picture for me at least.I guess I am too multi-window (X preferred, but MS works, too) oriented to be satisfied with that waste of screen space. Having used a couple Android phones, Archos 5 Internet Tablet, Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, Fujitsu Sytlistic LT/C-500 tablets, Fujitsu Lifebooks (P2046, P5020, P1120, P1610), Asus EEE 900, and now a Pandigital Novel with Android unlocked hacks, I can "see" where Google is coming from. A smallish screen of 7 inches and under (for old eyes like mine at least) is best used with one app window at a time. Getting over that size (say 9+ inches), a higher resolution and a visible window for each task (even if overlapped, and a task bar helps) starts being a quite feasible way to keep track of them, and maximize use of the screen space.Android and multi-windowing just are not "together" (yet), but lots of existing OS alternatives already are - i.e. Linux/*BSD+X-window, MS Windows, MacOS, etc. Without all the mobile phone functions that Android supports, there is not much of a rationale for it versus those other OS's for tablet (and bigger) form factors. It definitely strikes me as a forced fit.I like my PD Novel best for its original purpose: reading ebooks/docs (and yes, the ereader apps for PDF's, Kindle, Borders, and Barnes&Noble are formatted quite nicely for the 800x600 screen), and all those other nifty Android app functions it does support (limited without 3G phone networking/camera/GPS/Bluetooth/microphone/etc) are superfluous and more cumbersome to use via screen/task switching compared to my 9-inch touchscreen 1280x768 P1610 running Linux or WinXP.In the other direction, the PIM functions on my WinMo 6.1 smartphone are still far more productive in that application category (I liked PalmOS/devices better, but they fell out of the race), and much easier to access by pulling the hand-size device out of my belt case in about 3 seconds.For that big app niche in between, I almost did keep my LG Ally as an Android equivalent of the iPod Touch (without 3G access turned on) since it would not have cost me anything up front. Shazam, Google Navigator (with tethering), Barcode Reader, and lots of other goodies were tempting, but I did not want to commit to Verizon for 2 more years for that with the pace of change being what it is (and some other deficiencies [in] meeting several of my personal criteria).Android on [larger] tablets just does not excite me now that I have been there and done that.ROP.S.: And the iPad underwhelms me even more in several respects such as Apple's walled garden, expensiveness, lack of basic features like USB and flash card slot, and an uncomfortable feeling to hold in my hands or crook of arm - seems to have almost sharp edges and is heavySo, the short form is that I would tend to prefer about 6-7 inch screen size with a single app view at a time (with a few useful navigation icons of course such as those provided by "gottahavit" on the Pandigital Novel forum).

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I wonder of how many people are voting for the size they have but have not tried other sizes.In my case I've had both 7" and 8" but the 8" is screen size with a wide bezel the slate is just slightly smaller than an Ipad.( I use an Ipad case) So maybe I should have voted 10".The 7" wide screen is still too large for a pocket (Tactical 511 excluded) so for me it isn't any more portable than a 8 or 10" and at 50+ my eyes need the larger screen.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
I would prefer 10.2" the same size of my netbook, even though I have 3x 7" Android Tablets now. But 7" @ 800x600 is much better than 7" @ 800x480 though 16:9 is more VIS -- visual image size than 4:3 on some 7" @ 800x600.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't had a 10 inch Android tablet, but did have the iPad for a couple of weeks and it was just a bit too big for my taste.I have a cheap-ass 7" table now and like the form factor so much that I ordered an E7002 (with HDMI) that just arrived today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.