Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just found this forum, and it seems the only English based forum discussing about this tablet.After using it for about 10 days, below are my impression about it, I don't think it's a review, as writing a review needs to be more professional, I don't.... :pScreen:- The tablet is having a resisitive touchscreen, it's less sensitive comparing with any smartphone you're using now.- Since Android OS doesn't has a side scroll bar, it makes the menu scrolling a bit difficult, need some time to adapt.- A strange brightness settings it had, when you're in a room with light, or under natural lighting, 100% brightness seems to be a must, otherwise it may be hard to view the screen. And it is more strange that, 99% brightness level is much much dimmer than 100%, I guess it is 30-40% dimmer.Sound:- The loudspeaker is too small, the voice is too little, whenever there is TV, radio, or even my cat meows, I'm unable to hear- Plus, the tiny loudspeaker is located at the back, if you hold it with your hand, or place it on the table, cusion, the loudspeaker will be covered- Maybe it's my problem, even I replace the very low-end earphone with my senheiser earphone, the sound is quite small, I usually need to set the level to 85% or above to hear it in a quiet room.Input:- It should have no problem for western users, but, for me, a Chinese from Hong Kong, nearly no handwriting software can work on this tablet.Internet Usage:- Facebook for Android can be installed and used, a good feedback, however, I prefer mobile version, which I can open a website in the same app, I will use m.facebook.com via the browser- MSN is ok, I'm using one from the Android Market- Browsing: Using the native browser provides a fair user experience, if you need flash (or some video), you will need skyfire, some people said Dolphin Browser is good, however, I encounter a problem that, whenever I download something, the Dolphin Browser prompts me not enough space, I'm sure my settings are correct with a 8GB card installed.- My experience on native browser (and other browser using the same core), whenever you browse for a while, maybe 30 minutes, and when the cache are around 5-6MB, it will crash and force close, I will got to clear the cache once I finish reading 1 or 2 websites. And such problem may due to 3rd party input software- Another solution will be Opera Mini 5, it got less force close problem than the native one, however, comparing with other Opera Mini experience on Samsung/Nokia smartphones, it is slower and less responsive, I guess it is due to the RAM available.- USing Skyfire is ok, it can load flash videos, however it is not a instant load, may need to download for a while, and it is not 100% working gurantee, and sometimes, if the page got many video clips, it may crash.- Gmail: Using the built-in Gmail App, good and handyApps:- Google Maps: No GPS, unable to locate. Unable to locate using Wi-Fi (I can use Wi-Fi to locate by my smartphone and PC), I think it's the problem from the OS.- Google Maps: Got Street View option, but unable to load- Youtube: No built-in, download and install from the web, unable to play full screen, the menu bar's orientation is wrongly place on the right hand side- Not sure you got it or not. My MicroSD card comes with several apps, including Doc-to-Go, which by clicking another add-on app, it lets me register, and I really got reg.email from Dataviz. Pretty amazing... (Not sure if it's legal or not though.)- There are some other Chinese apps, such as Big-Cow Reader and QQ I didn't use at all.- Android Market built-in, but it's 1.5 version, that means no screenshots, only text descriptions- After installing many apps, I've found that, the menu orientation is strange, many apps got its menu bar showing on the right hand side (like potrait mode), and the content is in landscape mode.- Due to the same problem, some apps are unable to use, and some are even unable to run, and force close cases are common- Many games installed are unable to run, and some which can be run are neither in potrait mode, or sat on the left hand side. - Due to the above problem, lack of a hardware BACK button will be pretty troublesome, sometimes, an app depends on the back button to go back to the main screen, without the button, you have to go to home > task manager > kill the app and re-start the app.- Since the aPad/iRobot I bought is so-called version 2, it comes with a camera, it's funny that the camera app is very very simple, only 1 shutter icon, and nothing else, what make it even funnier is, the image you see on the screen is somehow magnified (i guess 1 - 2x), and you will never know how the photo will look like until it captured.- For the same reason, no matter which 3rd party camera app I installed, the same problem appears, and don't mention many of them are unable to run.- What make it even worse is, there is a video recording function, however, the microphone is not working at all. (There's a mic hole on the device, but, I'm not sure if there is a microphone inside)- I've installed a voice reocrding app, and after pressing the REC. there is no voice recorded.- There is an ebook app, which supports CHM, PDB and other formats, but, I didn't try it.Video & Photo Playback:- I didn't try many formats on it, I've put some clips downloaded from the web, it plays well, but, I've a bit disappointed, as it claims rockchip can play 720p HD video well, but, when I play a James Bond movie trailer downloaded from Apple (720p), the voice and the video is not sync. And 1280p is even worse.- Photo playback: the built-in Android Photo Viewer is simple but OK. Zoom in/out a picture is reasonably fast, however, bear in mind that, no multi touch like your iPhone/Android phone.Hardware craftsmenship:- Very made-in-china quality, but too bad I must admit, like other no brand MP3, PMP players.- No hardware back and search keys is quite inconvenience- Screen got no dead dots by now, but, I've found 1 tiny dust inside the screen, not sure whether the dust goes in during manufacturing or my usage.- Pretty scary: the AC adapter got some sound during plugin and the charging time is quite long (make it even scary as the AC adapter needs to plugin for quite long)- Earphone is pretty cheap quality- No user guide or any documentation---------------------------I got this device from Chinese auction website taobao, and not sure whether you'll got the same packing/content as I did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you so much for your review!Of the things you mention, the ones I am more scared off are the brightness issue and the sound issue.Can you confirm that, on a room with light, if you set brightness to 100%, you can see well the screen?Isn't there a way to boost the sound?Have you tried pdf files, or comics?I don't care much about microphone or camera, just want it for play movies and most of all, opening comics and pdfs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=Diegan link=topic=452.msg3837#msg3837 date=1275389310]Thank you so much for your review!Of the things you mention, the ones I am more scared off are the brightness issue and the sound issue.Can you confirm that, on a room with light, if you set brightness to 100%, you can see well the screen?Isn't there a way to boost the sound?Have you tried pdf files, or comics?I don't care much about microphone or camera, just want it for play movies and most of all, opening comics and pdfs
[/quote]My usual practice is: 100% Brightness when I use it in sitting room, the screen brightness is good and very viewable and before sleep (while the room is completely dark), I changed to 80%, it is dim that makes you sleepy after reading for a while. :pI seldom read comics, I don't know what format / software is needed, I think others may help on this.For PDF, as I got Doc-to-Go installed, it can view PDF without any problem.For sound issue, I will use a headphone instead. It helps...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes You are right. Even I had same 8days experience with new APAD. the MIC is not working at all.... The voice recorder program installed, crashes time to time & cannot record voice. I have writen to the supplier. I thought it had bluetooth & GPS...but I was wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote author=rbkcollc link=topic=452.msg3844#msg3844 date=1275390383]Yes You are right. Even I had same 8days experience with new APAD. the MIC is not working at all.... The voice recorder program installed, crashes time to time & cannot record voice. I have writen to the supplier. I thought it had bluetooth & GPS...but I was wrong.[/quote]not sure about the bluetooth, but i think alot of sellers are using googlemaps as an example of gps- even though it isnt really.

·
Registered
93 Posts
[quote author=xaueious link=topic=452.msg3984#msg3984 date=1275419060]How is headphone jack quality?It is supposed to have a decent sound chip I thought? [/quote]hm sounds like everyone is having a horrible experience here with the device... so u dun think it's worth the money?

·
Registered
954 Posts
[quote author=geniouslin link=topic=452.msg3993#msg3993 date=1275420629][quote author=xaueious link=topic=452.msg3984#msg3984 date=1275419060]How is headphone jack quality?It is supposed to have a decent sound chip I thought? [/quote]hm sounds like everyone is having a horrible experience here with the device... so u dun think it's worth the money?[/quote]Not what I am saying at all. Did you even read the review OP posted?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sound is amazing through the head-jack with these.Of course, those head-phones almost cost as much as the device itself... That being said, yes - the device is most def worth its price. =)

·
Registered
93 Posts
[quote author=xaueious link=topic=452.msg3999#msg3999 date=1275422020][quote author=geniouslin link=topic=452.msg3993#msg3993 date=1275420629][quote author=xaueious link=topic=452.msg3984#msg3984 date=1275419060]How is headphone jack quality?It is supposed to have a decent sound chip I thought? [/quote]hm sounds like everyone is having a horrible experience here with the device... so u dun think it's worth the money?[/quote]Not what I am saying at all. Did you even read the review OP posted? [/quote]I did, and seems to me that he's pointed out several undesirable traits he's found on the machine, and that's why I made the remark.

·
Registered
954 Posts
[quote author=geniouslin link=topic=452.msg4073#msg4073 date=1275432998][quote author=xaueious link=topic=452.msg3999#msg3999 date=1275422020][quote author=geniouslin link=topic=452.msg3993#msg3993 date=1275420629][quote author=xaueious link=topic=452.msg3984#msg3984 date=1275419060]How is headphone jack quality?It is supposed to have a decent sound chip I thought? [/quote]hm sounds like everyone is having a horrible experience here with the device... so u dun think it's worth the money?[/quote]Not what I am saying at all. Did you even read the review OP posted? [/quote]I did, and seems to me that he's pointed out several undesirable traits he's found on the machine, and that's why I made the remark.[/quote]Well OP actually sounded very satisfied except for some small gripes.Thanks for the input about sound quality by he way. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=hendersonn link=topic=452.msg3977#msg3977 date=1275418030][quote author=rbkcollc link=topic=452.msg3844#msg3844 date=1275390383]Yes You are right. Even I had same 8days experience with new APAD. the MIC is not working at all.... The voice recorder program installed, crashes time to time & cannot record voice. I have writen to the supplier. I thought it had bluetooth & GPS...but I was wrong.[/quote]not sure about the bluetooth, but i think alot of sellers are using googlemaps as an example of gps- even though it isnt really.[/quote]no bluetooth built-in, and i'm not sure if it will work with a USB bluetooth adapter, as I don't have one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=geniouslin link=topic=452.msg3993#msg3993 date=1275420629][quote author=xaueious link=topic=452.msg3984#msg3984 date=1275419060]How is headphone jack quality?It is supposed to have a decent sound chip I thought? [/quote]hm sounds like everyone is having a horrible experience here with the device... so u dun think it's worth the money?[/quote]I think the earphone it comes along is crap. But, you can always get a decent earphone, and you'll got better sound quality then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just want to share my experience with the Apad. It works pretty well as a ebook reader inside the house (if you are in the car or outside the screen cannot overcome the daylight), battery life seems reasonable when using it as an ebook reader. If you want one to read your digital comics look elsewhere, the screen is too small (either way) and the resolution too low for a quality comic reading experience. I broke down and picked up an Ipad and even at 9.7" and higher resolution it is just enough to be a good comic reader, the Apad does not cut it as a comic reader. I did not try much else with it, just fooled around a bit, the battery life is very low if you are trying to surf the net or watch videos. If I had to give anyone advice, for $160.00 plus $30.00 for the 16gb memory card you are spending basically $200.00, which is less than half the cost of the cheapest Ipad, I would get the Ipad. If you dont want to pop for the $499.00 wait for the next generation of Droid pads....

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use ACV and I have no problems with how my comics are displayed on the device. I use "image stretch magic" option and even in portrait mode I can see the whole page in great detail and still read the text. Ahh, the iPad. Here in the UK the cheapest one you can get is ?429 (around $600). For that I can buy a nice desktop PC and an aPad (or 3 aPads). The cheapest 3G version is ?700+. I can buy 5 aPads for that, or a really, really nice desktop PC. I refuse to support Apple and their insane pricing and fencing-in policy. I also can't see myself reading for longer than 30 minutes on a device that weighs in at almost 1KG. Not to mention the whole Apple Garden of Delight that you lock yourself into when you buy an Apple product.Oh and the battery life of my aPad is like 3 to 5 hours of videos, 2 to 3 hours of internet surfing and 7+ hours of reading. And that is more than I would ever use a device like this for an extended period of time anyway without being close to a juice plug.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree completely with Gevrik......I am NOT anti Apple as they have had some cracking (if locked in) devices. But for the majority of people they are way too over-priced. I honestly dont know why anyone would use these types of devices for any more than a few hours at a time, unless you are reading a very good book. I will do a review after I've had the device longer than a day
But my initial view is that I will mainly use mine for Internet (IF I can get a signal) and ebook/comic reader......I dont think anyone can compare the iPad and the Apad. Wait till the larger screen versions with the Cortex chips and capacative screens arrive and then we might be able to. As long as they dont overpice them !!! They must keep them under ?300 or else people will just bypass them!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two Weeks On The Moonse I originally posted this on June 19 on a different forum, but it seems more relevant to post it here as well. This is a recap of my experience with the Apad after two weeks of use. So I got my Moonse E7001 Apad on June 4th, and I've now had two weeks to work with it. I wanted to spend some time with the unit before sharing my opinions so I could give it a fair shake. I have not rooted or flashed this product in any way; simply added some apps from the Market. Otherwise, this system has been used for two weeks as it was when it came out of the box. I want to say up front that one should keep their expectations realistic with this unit. Let's face it, this is a cheaply priced, quickly built Ipad look alike unit. It needs to be handled and treated as such. If you don't expect performance nearing the Ipad, you won't be let down. You can't go in to purchasing an Apad thinking it's going to replace a netbook or notebook. Think of it more as an avenue for a better experience handling the type of data you might normally turn to your cell phone for. While the Apad looks nice upon first glance, it becomes apparent after holding it for any length of time that while it's solid, it's cheaply constructed. A little extra care and handling will go a long way to insuring the unit continues to operate well over the long haul. I bought a small neoprene netbook case and I would credit this to my Apad not having some of the problems others have discussed elsewhere in this forum. For regular web surfing, normal email checking and other similar tasks, this is a nice little machine. The resistive screen, while not ideal for scrolling, is still relatively functional. I trimmed a generic non-glare screen protector designed for a netbook, and got more of a tactile feel and smoother scrolling which has improved the experience. The entire boot sequence takes under a minute, and you're off and running. I am going to assume that if you're here, you have a functional understanding of the Android OS, and all the great customizations it brings. Getting on to wifi at home or in public settings hasn't been an issue whatsoever. The standard browser does a solid job of standard browsing. I also added Opera, and Skyfire as supplements to enhance the experience. The standard browser is fairly quick and responsive as long as you don't have too many programs running. I've found that all 3 browsers go into their own 'force close' when the system is being taxed. This can be rather frustrating and sometimes happens without warning. Sometimes, you don't need the standard full web page, and I've found that Opera on the Apad works very well for viewing Mobile websites. Because of its ability to play video other browser can't handle, I added Skyfire. It works well for viewing YouTube and other such sites. For regular websurfing, it can be a bit clunky. If you have Skyfire installed but are surfing with the standard browser and you click on a video, an option to open the video with Skyfire will be shown, so you don't have to go out of your way to use it. Overall, browsing works out pretty well here. Graphic or flash intensive web sites can take a while to load or can even cause a force close, but for the most part, this is a decent web surfing experience. As for sound and music, the internal speaker is somewhat weak, but I haven't found it as intolerable as others on the forum. For me personally, using the pad is more of a private experience anyway which requires the use of headphones. The standard headphones that ship with the Apad are the cheap kind you'd find at the Dollar Tree. Functional but crappy. Plug in a pair of your own and the sound is really quite nice. The built in music player works well, and there are several options in the App Market that really provide a great experience when using it as a music player. I loaded a couple of movies onto my sd card, and both play well with the built in player. Both movies were converted using handbrake for an ipod touch, and look and sound good here. The Apad specs say it will handle 720p video, but play at this level is a bit choppy. I know we all want the top performance these days, but the 480p video looks pretty damn good on this unit. Now on to the battery....battery life is not top notch. However, it's noted in several forums and on the 2 page notesheet my seller included that you should do 2 full charge cycles of at least 10 hours after first getting the Apad. He had already put the first 10 hour charge on my tablet the day I picked it up, so I used it at coffee shop with free wi-fi until it ran dead after a little less than 3 hours of solid surfing. I took it home and ran the second 10 hour cycle and now I get about 3 hours and 15 minutes of solid web surfing. I credit two things to the battery usage; 1. Adjusting the brightness of the screen. While generally a no-brainer, when on battery power I turn the screen down to the lowest brightness I can and still have decent functionality. Even a slight adjustment seems to help the battery. Of course when I'm plugged in, I crank the screen all the way up! 2. A week ago I added Automatic Task Killer from the Market. I know this is a contentious issue in the Android phone community, but I've seen tremendous results in both battery power and overall performance since adding the app. As expected, the unit can be used while plugged in and it will continue to charge, though charging is slower while in use. With the wi-fi off, I get close to six hours of various functions including video, music, ebooks and other tasks . But let's be honest, this is designed to be an internet connected device. Ebook reading is perfectly fine for casual reading. I must say, I'd rather use a Nook or Kindle for serious ongoing reading, but for grabbing a book for a weekend getaway, the Apad and the Aldiko Book Reader app work perfectly well. The camera on this unit, as noted elsewhere, is pretty crappy. With that said, it functions fine with Fring and other video messaging apps. I'm not sure how or why anyone would want or try to do more with the camera than that. Earlier I mentioned a couple of rare force close issues, and prior to adding Automatic Task Killer, I had a couple of situations where the system became interminably slow. In those instances, I simply did a full power off by throwing the little power switch, waiting a few seconds and then booting back up. Problem solved! The USB ports both work fine for transferring files over from a pc or using a flash drive. I've not experienced problems with either. For the record, I use my Apad primarily under two circumstances. One, I use it while I'm sitting in my chair watching tv for sufing and email. Two, I've taken it on a couple of weekend getaways instead of taking my notebook for the same tasks. I must say, I'm happy with the overall experience of my Apad. I take care of the unit and treat it gently. I believe this is something that hasn't been stressed enough in the forums. I can't emphasize enough that this is a cheap device, not a technological advancement. It's a device of convenience and fun, not necessity and practicality. Know this going in, and I believe you'll have as pleasant a user experience as I have. FOOTNOTE: I bought my Apad from a seller on Ebay, stuff2diy, who I noticed was selling and shipping from Sacramento, which is about an hour from me. I contacted him to see if I could pick up the item rather than ship it and we made all the arrangements. For me, meeting the seller, and seeing and handling the Apad first hand before purchasing it made a big difference. This seller even included a two page info sheet of some common questions, and a translation of some of the Chinese symbols that pop up before changing the settings over to the "Android Keyboard" option. Also, during my third week with the Apad, I ran the firmware update, and while I didn't notice any "milestone" improvements, everything seems a tad faster and a tad smoother. I still happily use my Apad nightly for quick email checking, and surfing. It works perfectly as a complement to my phone and computer. It's easy to grab and use for easy tasks, and works well enough for a weekend away when I shouldn't really be on the computer anyway. At basically 6 weeks in, I find my Apad to be a useful and reliable device for how I use it. I can't stress enough...if you don't expect too much...you definitely won't be let down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts