Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yep, IF Cruz Tablet ends up actually having a Cortex CPU + a better street price it'll be interesting, o.w. I'm still pondering the A81 E... (Probably just wait until next year anyways when more tablets should be hitting...)

·
Registered
146 Posts
but HOW could the cruz have a better street price? borders is pre ordering them now at full retail.if it were hammecher slammecher r something i could see bu borders?hmmm wonder if my discount works on that?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Simple. Newegg and other etailers will also be selling this. B&M NEVER sell for less than MSRP unless they're on sale, or they're clearing inventory. The etailers usually only sell at MSRP if the item is new, in short supply, and HEAVILY demanded but generally fall back to MUCH below MSRP not long after, or such has been my experience with things like notebooks, CPUs, RAM, hdds, etc.Anyways, it's all academic ATM as apparently not even VM is certain what the specs of their Cruz products are... and as I mentioned I'll likely just end up waiting until next year, given that the other choice, A81 E lacks a stable fw and has crappy video playback ATM. Really am thinking that I'll definitely want something with GPS too anyways, but w/o 3G.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote name='cpg716;54439]One sad thing' date=' right now people are saying only 256mb RAM on both 7 and 10 inch Archos tabs.. Cruz does have 512MB, but we still don't know the processor. 256mb might make moving to 3.0 of Android not an option.CPG[/QUOTE'] That would indeed be regrettable, in view that Google is apparently pretty actively adding functionality specific to tablet support for 3.0.Of course, it is entirely possible that many interesting parts will happily port over to "legacy" tablets (that include pretty well all the ones being supported on SlateDroid).After all, there was no intent to get Froyo (2.2) running on old phones such as the G1, and CyanogenMod has done a stellar job of supporting that. On a G1, you deactivate things like Dalvik JIT, and anything else that's memory-hungry, and all works quite well.They can't be requiring/recommending 512MB for 3.0 on the basis that there's some single feature chewing up that memory - if they let that happen, then 512MB isn't enough, because the conglomeration of apps consume some memory apiece.I suspect instead that running Gingerbread on a 256MB host will require that you leave off a few memory-hungry apps.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I just wish Archos was smart and put 512MB in their new line then there would be no questions at all. Every time someone releases one of these tablets there is always something that stops me from getting them. If Archos had put 512 RAM in the system it would be an instant buy for me. If VM released the processor in the Cruz Tablet and it was at least a Cortex A8 that would be on preorder right now.These companies just don't get it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
[quote name='zalman;55296]What can you do with 512 that you can't do with 256? Even the iPad has only 256' date=' I don't think it's fair to expect more from Archos products that all cost less than that.[/QUOTE'] In a way, I have to agree with you on this. I have yet to find a app that will not run smoothly on my iPad than it will on a iPhone 4g. The extra memory is just wanted for the future when more memory is needed and you can say "Oh, I have the just the right amount of hardware, why go buy something new when mine does just as good?".

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
256 just doesn't matter when it is coming with Android 2.2. 2.2 includes apps2sd so you can get a 32GB sdcard and have all the room you need.I'm looking at this device real hard. I'm just trying to decide if the screen is to large for what I want.

·
Registered
246 Posts
blazingwolf;55437 said:
256 just doesn't matter when it is coming with Android 2.2. 2.2 includes apps2sd so you can get a 32GB sdcard and have all the room you need.I'm looking at this device real hard. I'm just trying to decide if the screen is to large for what I want.
This is RAM not ROM.. the 256MB of RAM is for running processes and data needed only while programs are running (multitasking etc.).. Has nothing to do with apps2SD or storage of apps etc..Just like the Gentouch78 the Archos unlike phones has a large amount of onboard space for apps. The 8GB or 16GB will be available for apps etc. On the Gentouch78 it has 2GB, after everything you get about 1.3GB for apps etc.CPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Between this and the Cruz it's hard to decide. What will help me make my decision will be if I can actually installed the Kindle app on either of these either out of the box or at some point. I have a Kindle 1 already but if I can have an alternative on a tablet that would be great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think it's hard to decide at all, the Cruz is basically just a repackaged PDN, and that is something I don't want. The videos show it to be less sluggish than the PDN, but it doesn't seem nearly as smooth as the Archos 101/70.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='Srontgorrth;56498]I don't think it's hard to decide at all' date=' the Cruz is basically just a repackaged PDN, and that is something I don't want. The videos show it to be less sluggish than the PDN, but it doesn't seem nearly as smooth as the Archos 101/70.[/QUOTE'] That is the Cruz reader. There is a Cruz Tablet that will be something different. Have to make sure your comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Archos 101/70 will both be powered by TI OMAP 3640 processors, which are top of the line at the moment (at least until the Tegra 2's start launching). They both have 512K RAM (NOT 256K). This is the same processor driving the Droid X and is, frankly, more powerful than the Sumsung Hummingbird or Apple A4. For $250 for the Archos 70 or $300 for the Archos 101, you're getting a very solid tablet on the cheap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.