Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Kind of strange that noone has done this yet for the Ipod classic/nano as it is the most popular mp3 player on the market and has been out for a while. I originally tried doing this internally but the THICK metal back case prevented any induction currents from getting through. Also the logic board hid the 5v pin (#23 of 30) of the 30 pin connector so getting to that was impossible. I was forced to do an external mod to it.

Ipod used: Ipod Classic 30gb 5th generation

Video:

Logic board prevents you from taping into the 5v lead. External mod is the only way to make it work.

I originally made a custom case with a charging connector (similar to the powermat cases but I found the case was too thick so I tried doing a minimization mod

finished

finished

finished

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Sweeeeet mod , damn what else can we , mod ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I looked into what it would take to charge another apple device. An ipad takes 5.1v, 2.1amps to charge. If you plug the ipad into a pc usb, it'll suck 5v, 0.5amps meaning it takes 4x longer to charge an ipad. This mod will depend entirely on what type of microusb cable amperage you are using. I have a couple 2amp microusb cables that plug into the palm touchstone dock so it sends 2 amps through the dock. I think it's entirely doable if I can modify the case- so then it'll depend on what type of case it is. What type of case do you have?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts