Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just compiled the most common serial USB modules: ftdi_sio, cp2101 and pl2303 and thought I share those with you. They all load fine and I testet the pl2303 with my NavGear GPS dongle and it works!modprobe pl2303stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0cat /dev/ttyUSB0I did not have time to do the LocationManager tweaks to get Google maps working. So below is the link:http://www.trocha.com/download/eken_m001_stuff/serial_usb_modules

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much to find out for the inexperienced yet. The module "only" provides the functionality to actually receive data from serial converters, which AFAIK was not possible before. USB GPS dongles use such converters. So roughly said, all you get is access to /dev/ttyUSB0 and with that you can watch the NMEA data stream that is about all. I am no Android coder so it may take some time till I figure out to use the data with google maps for instance. Currently I know that I have to use the so called "location manager", which seems to be some Android interface to handle such data. Mabye someone else who is experienced with Android could do that or give me a hint.BTW - I also got the "option" module compiled. So the M001 successfully detects my ZTE K3565-Z GSM/3G dongle and provides ttyUSB0 - ttyUSB3. If chat and pppd works - which I suppose - there is a good chance that the M001 could connect to the internet via GSM.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently I am running Ecotox firmware based on 1.7.2, mostly because I do not have a hassle to get root access, eventhough I will be heading back to 1.7.4. to use market. Anyway, the firmware actually should not matter since as far as I know the kernel is always the same for all version. (2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty) I compiled the modules to match exactly that version string to have no complaints from insmod/modprobe./ # uname -aLinux localhost 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty #12 Fri May 14 19:11:28 CST 2010 armv5tejl GNU/LinuxIn preparation I usually1) startBetterTerminalEmulatorPro2) su3) telnet -l /system/bin/su4) ifconfigAnd then telnet from Windows or Linux to that IP:So for the modules:1) put the modules on my SD2) su3) insmod pl2303.ko4) dmesg5) so if your GPS was detected it will show something with /dev/ttyUSB06) lets say your GPS dongle runs on 38400 baud, you do 'stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 38400'7) 'cat /dev/ttyUSB0' to see the spam

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I am not close at all. I solved one of a hundred problems on the way there
Code:
usb 2-2.3: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 20usb 2-2.3: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hubusb 2-2.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choiceoption 2-2.3:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detectedusb 2-2.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0option 2-2.3:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detectedusb 2-2.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1option 2-2.3:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detectedusb 2-2.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2option 2-2.3:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detectedusb 2-2.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB3option 2-2.3:1.4: GSM modem (1-port) converter detectedusb 2-2.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB4scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devicesusb-storage: device found at 20usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanningscsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ZTE      MMC Storage      2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2sd 5:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disksd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0usb-storage: device scan complete

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gamesandluv;25923 said:
so you basically solved the prob of getting it to recognize it?
One of the probs - yes!But there are numerous ahead. For instance does pppd and chat work in the desired way? Do I need to compile usb_modeswitch, which is sometimes needed with such multi-device USB dongles?

· Registered
2 Posts
At last I could able to create a driver for my Delrome EarthMate Lt-40. and succesfuly insmod it also.

I have built the cypress_m8 but it wont insmod with my android device saying kmalloc_caches unknown symbol.
But i have seen that a similar driver navman works we will insmod.
so, I copied the navman code to earthmate and created a new driver.

Attached the .ko and source If anybody wants to try.

Tested and works with my LY-706 ( MID706 ) android tablet with Kernel : 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty

· Registered
9 Posts
I loaded the FTDI driver on to my Eken m001 with no problems. Connected my duemilanove arduino board and it popped up as /dev/ttyUSB0. cat /dev/ttyUSB0 printed the output of the arduino and echo > /dev/ttyUSB0 sends bytes to the arduino. Plus the the tablet is able to power the arduino by itself through USB. I was really excited that this worked, it's much cheaper than buying an ADK board. Now I am going to try to use the NDK to create an app that can control the arduino.

axmx, thanks for the driver, what steps did you take to compile it?

· Registered
2 Posts
Just compiled the most common serial USB modules: ftdi_sio, cp2101 and pl2303 and thought I share those with you. They all load fine and I testet the pl2303 with my NavGear GPS dongle and it works!modprobe pl2303stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0cat /dev/ttyUSB0I did not have time to do the LocationManager tweaks to get Google maps working. So below is the link:http://www.trocha.com/download/eken_m001_stuff/serial_usb_modules
Hi, I have three android tablets(2.1,2.3.3 and 4.0.1) and I would like to send and recieve data over the usb serial port, I also have an FTDI USB Serial cable. Would your USB modules be suitable for me to use and if so how would I be ableto add them to the tablets?

I have rooted the Android 2.1 and 2.33 devices.

Thanks,

Ian James

· Registered
59 Posts
Hi, I have three android tablets(2.1,2.3.3 and 4.0.1) and I would like to send and recieve data over the usb serial port, I also have an FTDI USB Serial cable. Would your USB modules be suitable for me to use and if so how would I be ableto add them to the tablets?

I have rooted the Android 2.1 and 2.33 devices.

Thanks,

Ian James
Hi Ian, I have the exact same question.. did you have any luck?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.