Android Tablets Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh I don't have time right now to write properly but I'll get back later.

about the battery: I opened the device (pretty easy to get the display off) and there was the battery supported only by wires. I just unplugged it from the charger as it was fully charged and measured it with a multimeter (I took away the little yellow tape to access the contacts) and it showed a little over 1500mah.. well the battery is indeed small for a 'supposed' capacity of 3400mah.. and no, it is not a clone.. but there are many variants and the parts seem to differ..isn't it?

still don't know what to do, whether to return it or to keep it.. ?! the Roman's software boosts the processor frequency to 1200?

...really have to go now:(

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
still don't know what to do, whether to return it or to keep it.. ?! the Roman's software boosts the processor frequency to 1200?
3400mah maybe only on the i8? Some internal pics for i7 & i8 below:
http://www.electronicschina.org/wopad-i7i8-rk2918-android-2-3-tablet-disassemble-review/

The i7 battery has no markings so only way to tell for sure is by measuring it. Either way, it lasts pretty well for me. The Samsung A8s & Amlogic A9 seem to get the lowest battery life at about 4 to 5 hours max.

I do not think they have i7 variants and the parts should be the same but I have not compared i7s to see.

You have 7 days from delivery to ask for refund. So, take 4 or 5 days from delivery date to check it out and make a decision. Then contact the seller within refund period if you want to send the i7 back.

Roman's firmware does not change the CPU speed. Still 1 GHz. It disables cell standby, changes some of the default programs like Launcher and adds couple of extra programs. My build.prop, found in another thread, changes the device to appear as Samsung Galaxy SII phone which makes many more games and some more apps show up and be compatible with this device.

Keep in mind, that if you decide to buy another tablet which one would it be? If Novo 7A then you would get 10% less WiFi signal, 15% better CPU, slightly lower quality screen and battery that lasts maybe 2 to 3 hours longer. But you will still end up with the same CPU 1 GHz speed, both Cortex A8 CPUs and pretty minor differences between the two. One good thing about Novo 7A is does not use compressed filesystem which allows changing out build.prop without flashing firmware to tablet and all root programs work because they can install to system folder.

PS, any Chinese tablet you get will require you to flash the firmware sooner (or later) which requires using a Windows OS. WIN 2000, XP, VISTA or 7 required.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I looked and the NOVO 7A comes with big 4000mAh battery. Which is major reason why it gets long battery life. Battery on i7 looks around half the size than the one in the 7A tablet.

Also, the 7A will allow using Chainfire3D though many games are now starting to support OpenGL ES spec properly and working on the i7 too but not always available through Market.

Tough choice because you will be out shipping to and from seller if you decide to return tablet for refund. Wopad i7 is still very good tablet but the NOVO 7A is 15-20% better overall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All,
Thanks a lot for useful info. While I have not Wopad but FView 7" PC Pro, it looks pretty much the same by specs, just buttons are located differently. Going to try Wopad firmware as well...

Back to battery business - have anybody of you considered replacing the original battery with a better one? If so, what options do you think about? Especially in 7" model it looks that there is enough space...

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anyone can share the name of the app they used to gain the root access on this device safely, I'd greatly appreciate it. Don't want to start swapping roms without making a prior backup first... o

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If anyone can share the name of the app they used to gain the root access on this device safely, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Application used for root access is called Superuser.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
All,
Thanks a lot for useful info. While I have not Wopad but FView 7" PC Pro, it looks pretty much the same by specs, just buttons are located differently. Going to try Wopad firmware as well...

Back to battery business - have anybody of you considered replacing the original battery with a better one? If so, what options do you think about? Especially in 7" model it looks that there is enough space...
If you try Wopad i7 firmware make sure you also have stock firmware for FView to flash back just in case things do not work out.

For the battery. I am going to stick with stock one for now since good enough. Looks like i7 can take a battery that is about 30-40% bigger. To replace, you would have to measure inside to see what is biggest size tablet can take. Length, width and height. Then order battery that is little smaller than max dimensions to properly fit in the i7. Lithium Polymer 3.7V with best brand and highest mAh rating you can find. i7 uses 3.7v battery but some other tablets use 7.4v.

Also, my battery felt glued down because I could not get it to move at all. So, could be somewhat hard to pry it out of the tablet too. You also have to be somewhat good with soldering to connect the new battery to the motherboard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Application used for root access is called Superuser.
Judging from the description of the app on Google market This app requires that you already have root, or a custom recovery image to work.
My question was how to get the root access in the first place.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
My question was how to get the root access in the first place.
Ok. No one knows how because system folder is compressed. That is the application used for root access when you flash to rooted firmware. Try out some root programs and let us know which work for you because I doubt anyone can answer you. ie, all of us have got root by flashing rooted firmware.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
@Nickos-V I started to use the Wopad and it's not that bad though I have a problem: each time I am browsing a page that includes flash content (videos most of the time) it closes suddenly..?! (I tried with the default browser and with Opera as well...)

..and what do you think of this:

http://www.ankaka.com/ctab-hd-1024-x-600-hd-7-multitouch-capacitive-screen-android-23-tablet-flash-1ghz-cpu-bluetooth-camera-512m-ram-8g-rom_p48265.html
Yep, Wopad i7 is pretty good tablet. I also like my i7 and fairly happy with it.

I do not have any issue with Flash and web browsers. I am using Flash 10.3. Some people with other tablets had problems with Flash 11 and went back to 10.3. Which Flash version you have? Which sites crash? That way I can test them too. Flash upgrade released 2 or 3 days back. Try that. Or switch to 10.3 or remove Flash.

For ctab you will have to verify if those specs are real from tablet maker site or other sellers. From specs, uses Samsung A8 CPU which is best for gaming, higher resolution which makes text look better but reduces game performance, really powerful battery if really 4000 mAh, includes Bluetooth (which I do not use but some might), 8GB flash memory (usually 4GB is standard). Also, 2MP camera is great since most tablets include 0.3MP (640x480) for video chat but useless for photo taking other than yourself. Hard to point camera around to take pics with. Lastly, no WiFi N which is more important if streaming or copying files over network.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wifi trouble!

Wifi is so bad for me on my newly received i7 that it's unbearable. I can hardly establish a connection to my router, and IF it works when I'm sitting next to it (only very slowly, too!), I'll lose the connection just 12 feet away (no obstacles!).

I already tried all options of my router (like different channels etc.) but it doesn't help. Is there anything I could do about this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, I just got my WoPad device via DHL about 30 minutes ago... My supplier is wicked fast. I ordered on Thursday night and I got today on Monday
. here is a quick rundown on my impressions of everything thus far...

Packaging - Nice... looks professional
, sweet color graphics on the box. Although the picture of the tablet on the top of the box is a different device lol... Overall a plus though.

Accessories - Headphones SUCK! (big surprise... or not... I didn't have any expectations anyhow...) They include a screen protector (and not the crappy pre-installed one, but a separate apply-it-yourself screen protector... this is a plus... of course I haven't tried using it yet
... Power Adapter... cheap but I am sure it will work. At least it is probably easy to replace
... USB cable is your standard fare...

Device - So far I am fairly impressed...
Each out of 5 stars...

Physical - 3.0 Stars
It is a little bit bigger than the RENA3 all around. Same width, slightly thicker (although I will comment on this in a moment), slightly taller. Despite being a little bit thicker than the RENA3, it actually feels thinner in the hand because of the shape of the device. This is a plus. Also, the back IS NOT PLASTIC... At least it sure doesn't feel like plastic. It is extremely rigid and it isn't glossy. This is a HUGE plus and the main reason it earns 3 of its 3 stars on the physical... Speaker placement is good, hands don't block them when holding the device and the mesh grilles look nice.

a. I/O (input output) Full Size USB port... another BIG plus. No stupid adapter needed to plug in a mouse or keyboard or hub. Just a standard size USB
... It also has a Micro-USB port to connect the device to a pc... Power Connector... Headphone jack... Micro-HDMI out.... MicoSD card slot. I/O looks a "little" bit cheap. For example, the Full size USB port doesn't match up "exactly" with the outside of the case. I am nitpicking a bit but it is noticeable. However, it is important that I note that it doesn't hinder its function. Also, HDMI-out works, almost perfectly (except the screen on the device goes black but HDMI-out works really well) and this is a HUGE plus in that it seems the manufacturer actually put time into the firmware! Amazing... My only problem is that the connection doesn't feel very secure and if if the cable isn't placed into the device "just so" then the colors on the screen it is outputting to go awry. Overall, the HDMI "loose connection" issue AND the I/O ports looking just a little bit off... I dock half a star...

b. Buttons - Across the top - Power, Menu, Back... I would knock a partial star off for NOT having physical volume keys but I am already docking enough points in the next section and some would argue that physical volume keys are a personal preference. Anyhow, I wish they were there, but they aren't. I also wish the back button was on the front face like pretty much every other android device. It is annoying in that it is on the top edge but, oh well. The buttons all "feel" good and are fairly solid. I think I will eventually get used to the placement of the back button and it won't be that big of a deal. This setup IS probably preferable to the UBER sensitive capacitive buttons on the front of the RENA3.

c. Overall Build Quality - Here is why it isn't a 4.5-star... The front face of the device doesn't feel extremely "secure" with the back aluminum shell. It feel just a tiny tiny bit loose. So, slightly cheap feel on the front... If I "try" to "bend" the device the front face will start to come up at one of the corners... Not COOL... I should note that this only happens if you are actually trying to bend the device... but it isn't taking much pressure. I worry that if I were to say... drop the device from 2 or 3 feet up (like off of my kitchen table) and a corner of it hit the ground that the front face would "pop out" I am only docking 1.5 stars for this as the device overall looks and feels good... But it is obvious that build quality could have been a little bit better... perhaps super glue or stronger plastic snaps would have helped? But then it is probably easy to get into so that might be a plus for the hacking community.

Performance - WOOT! 5 Stars - First thing I noticed... Decently QUICK boot-up. Like 25 - 40 seconds max. WAY BETTER than the 90 seconds on my previous RK2918 device. This is a HUGE positive as it makes the device much more usable all around. Touchscreen response is EXCELLENT. Easily as good as the RENA3. The Android UI is ridiculously smooth. I haven't had much time to test internet browsing yet but I have high hopes based on the phenomenal UI experience. This is what I expected from the first RK2918 device I had but it just didn't quite deliver... I did try out heavy gunner. (I ran into an odd issue with the keyboard where the "enter" key disappeared and was replaced by a smiley key... this kept me from getting into heavy gunner which also has the poor design of requiring you to enter a name into a box that has no "okay" button under it to confirm. So without an enter key on my keyboard and without an okay key in the game I was literraly stuck and had to force a device reboot lol, I replaced the built-in keyboard and this fixed the issue) Heavy Gunner is PHENOMENAL on this device. It is fast, responsive and the graphics look great. I will discuss this further in another section. I *might have to lower this slightly after playing with web browsing some more. That was a BIG complaint I had against the other RK2918 device. Web browsing was NOT as smooth as it could be. This was web page loading speeds AND scrolling/pinch-to-zoom. I haven't used this device enough yet to say yay or nay yet though. The one or two pages that I did look at felt better than how things were on my last RK2918 device but they did not feel as smooth as the RENA3.

...............More to come ---> I am tired of typing and I am waiting on the device to charge up ----> Getting a feel for battery life is going to be important -----> so far I am pretty happy though and this device is probably going to be on my digital shelves at TopNotchTablets in the very near future (as long as battery life checks out...)-------> Did I mention it charges via the micro-USB port!!! Heck yes! That is also another huge plus

Cheers,

Roman

http://topnotchtablets.com
hey! have you ever encountered the "cyclic redundancy check data error" when you transfered data from pc to the wopad? if so, please tell me how you deal with it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
hey! have you ever encountered the "cyclic redundancy check data error" when you transfered data from pc to the wopad?
CRC error means you have corrupt (APK?) file. Try formatting your SD card or using another SD brand to see what happens. File is getting corrupted from download, copied to faulty SD card or getting installed onto Tablet (faulty ROM chip). Check SD card first. After download, use Winrar or 7zip to test the APK for CRC error.

I do not have this issue so that is all the help I can give you.

PS, there is no need to quote Roman's full post. That just wasted space and meant I had to scroll down further to read your question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wifi trouble!

Wifi is so bad for me on my newly received i7 that it's unbearable. I can hardly establish a connection to my router, and IF it works when I'm sitting next to it (only very slowly, too!), I'll lose the connection just 12 feet away (no obstacles!).

I already tried all options of my router (like different channels etc.) but it doesn't help. Is there anything I could do about this?
I had terrible wifi problems with my i7. What I ultimately had to do was to get a new router. Upgraded to a dual band d-link 815. Even though my Wopad only registers one bar, it just zips through web pages.

Jack

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wi-fi on my device is also weaker than i thought it would be - even after i raized the power of the router from 30 to 50. But i'm comparing
to acer notebook.
Another question - Quadrant in system memory section shows "memory total- 524k, free- 128k, INACTIVE -128k. Why inactive?

61 - 78 of 78 Posts