Android Tablets Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
juniorion, papasc
If your TCHIP device has VID = 0BB4 PID = 0C02 than you can use drivers that come with Android SDK. It worked for me. Fun part is that the same id is used in HTC Dream phone...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a ptab7200 it has the 1 GHz Rockchip RK2918/ARM just wondering if i can root it with this tool. Not a noob but not a super dev either. anyt info you have would be great thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've also got devices and wifi does not work anymore after rooting.
What is procedure (step_by_step) to copy factory firmware from other to moded one?
I'm not rookie, but just don't like to mess it (again).
regards
S

EDIT:
in the meantime I have figured out hat original devices have
rk29_gingerbread_v2.10.00
Have already found adb and cat-ed img files from i7
I need little help, because file sizes are different than at Roman's firmware and I'm afraid to root them...

EDIT2:
I have decoded it.
If somebody is interested in SDK2.1 firmware, just tell me.
It seems that it is copy of Wopad i7 - without any markings on back (silver) side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all. Never touched android before today, but I just got a Wopad V7 and I was wondering if it was possible to use this firmware for it. I assume it is not as the two cpus for the i7 and v7 are different, but it's worth a shot to ask. Also how do you go about finding the firmware to mod it? I can't seem to find anything in regards to the chipset - vimicro vc882.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Hey all. Never touched android before today, but I just got a Wopad V7 and I was wondering if it was possible to use this firmware for it.
No. Rockchip & Vimicro are 2 different chips. Also, you should use firmware released by your tablet maker and not from any other Vimicro tablets. If you use firmware from other Vimicro tablet it may not have the drivers for sensors, WiFi or audio. So, may not work properly.

Contact WopadUSA for any support issues.
http://www.wopadusa.com/support/

It falls to Wopad to release new firmwares for their tablets. V7 and V7+ are also kinda different so those ROMs may not be compatible either.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I just got a ptab7200 it has the 1 GHz Rockchip RK2918/ARM just wondering if i can root it with this tool. Not a noob but not a super dev either. anyt info you have would be great thanks!
The Wopad tools Roman has work on SDK 1.x firmwares. Not sure about SDK 2.x ones.

You also need firmware image from your specific tablet to modify. Only download Wopad i7 firmware if that is the tablet you have.

Tool allows you to unpack system.img. Then it copies over SuperUser APK to get you root access. Then it repacks system.img. Afterwords, you flash the modified firmware to the tablet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Wopad tools Roman has work on SDK 1.x firmwares. Not sure about SDK 2.x ones.

You also need firmware image from your specific tablet to modify. Only download Wopad i7 firmware if that is the tablet you have.

Tool allows you to unpack system.img. Then it copies over SuperUser APK to get you root access. Then it repacks system.img. Afterwords, you flash the modified firmware to the tablet.
Thank you for that information the problem we are having is for some reason the unpacked .img files (after using AFPTool) all can not be opened in linux or windows. We have been successful in unpacking the update.img and pushing the system.img back to the tablet and mounting it. So we know the image is good but windows and ubuntu machines can not mount it. we are thinking its a different type of cramfs or some specialized format.

What we would like to do is move from cramfs to ext3 but that means we need to open the boot.img which we also can not do. Any help opening these unpacked images would be awesome. We believe this is what is currently holding us back from moving to an ext3 mounted system and ultimately rooting the tablet.

This info is from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1362617&page=4 where we have been brain storming to figure this out.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What we would like to do is move from cramfs to ext3 but that means we need to open the boot.img which we also can not do. Any help opening these unpacked images would be awesome. We believe this is what is currently holding us back from moving to an ext3 mounted system and ultimately rooting the tablet.
Ok. Better help in Teclast forums. Wendal can be found there. You can also try asking Aino & Aiah.

Making /system writable on RK2918:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/22162-writable-system-for-rk29xxt760p71-et/page__pid__235136

Maybe helpful:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/19808-rk29xx-imagetools-v21/page__st__40__p__271348#entry271348

PS, point them to firmware for your tablet and they may check into it for you. =)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
we are thinking its a different type of cramfs or some specialized format.
I agree with you. I have seen handful of others have the same issue. I believe it happens on tablets using "older" firmware. Very likely they used an older and/or custom version of cramfs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Guys,

I am kinda noob in the Android World, and just bought a WopadI7 model 7001 rk29sdk

I wanted to root it so I tried a lot of techniques that didnt result, so i decided to flash Roman's rom and now everything works fine except wifi, it says error when I try to connect. anyone has a solution for this??? and possible ways to wryte to /system cause it wouldnt install cainfire3d that requires rw system.

thanks in advance.

EDIT: I mannaged to get back to stock ROM
and installed chainfire 3D after hard work,
and now I would like to use Roman's ROM with wifi working, any tips? should I try to use stock kernel and flash the ROM again?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the information on the RK29 tools!

I have an additional question:
We try to 'upgrade' the RK29 based Odys Loox that has a resistive touch. Flashing / Erasing or modifying existing images are no magic. But using the released kernel from Odys to create a working one ist awefull.
Some posts above a new RK29 SDK is mentioned. But anytime I download such an SDK it only contains some already prepared images and the flash drivers. What I search for is the kernel, libc and RK29 drivers, sources...
Something to generate a kernel from and get Android 3/4 working on top.

Did I miss soemthing with the new SDK? Wrong link on that page? No idea. But as RockChip announced a tablet running ICS4 on the RK2918 CPU, there must be sources somwhere

Best regards and thanks in advance for any help
Astralix

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the information on the RK29 tools!

I have an additional question:
We try to 'upgrade' the RK29 based Odys Loox that has a resistive touch. Flashing / Erasing or modifying existing images are no magic. But using the released kernel from Odys to create a working one ist awefull.
Some posts above a new RK29 SDK is mentioned. But anytime I download such an SDK it only contains some already prepared images and the flash drivers. What I search for is the kernel, libc and RK29 drivers, sources...
Something to generate a kernel from and get Android 3/4 working on top.

Did I miss soemthing with the new SDK? Wrong link on that page? No idea. But as RockChip announced a tablet running ICS4 on the RK2918 CPU, there must be sources somwhere

Best regards and thanks in advance for any help
Astralix
I am not sure about Honeycomb or ICS yet. At the moment, most of us using WoPad i7 are having issues getting the /system to be fully writable and rooted without using Roman's method. As for the new SDK, WoPadUSA is supposed to be releasing it shortly but no news from them yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, as it looks like having up to date firmware is taking a while - maybe someone know and can confirm which (if any?) firmware from other devices (or maybe someone's custom FW?) is working with SDK 2.1 on Wopad i7 "with logo on the back"?
I saw some rumors that some firmwares from other devices should work, but can't find any...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have used SDK 2.0 on other RK2918 devices. SDK 2.0 dumps the annoying CRAMFS file system and allows the device to be messed with quite a bit more easily. I have been looking around the net for the last hour or two trying to find SDK 2.0 firmware for download for ANY 7" RK2918 800x480 device. I am not having much luck
. If I can at least get firmware from another device I might be able to roll the necessary drivers into from the current Wopad i7 firmware and at least get us hacked SDK 2.0 for our i7. I seriously doubt WoPad is going to come out with an official release

Cheers,

Roman

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have used SDK 2.0 on other RK2918 devices. SDK 2.0 dumps the annoying CRAMFS file system and allows the device to be messed with quite a bit more easily. I have been looking around the net for the last hour or two trying to find SDK 2.0 firmware for download for ANY 7" RK2918 800x480 device. I am not having much luck
. If I can at least get firmware from another device I might be able to roll the necessary drivers into from the current Wopad i7 firmware and at least get us hacked SDK 2.0 for our i7. I seriously doubt WoPad is going to come out with an official release

Cheers,

Roman
Indeed, I got a feeling that WoPad has no plans to roll out a SDK 2.0 for our i7. What about the SDK 2.0 for the Telcast RK2918 tablets? I saw some discussions about a SDK 2.0 in their section, not sure if they got a SDK 2.0 lying around for Roman to fix something up for us.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
What about the SDK 2.0 for the Telcast RK2918 tablets?
What Roman needs is the firmware from another 7", rk2918, 800x480, capacitive screen tablet that was upgraded to sdk2 or sdk2.1. Having same chip (rk2918), resolution and capacitive screen is very important.

The problems are, finding out which rk2918 tablets are compatible and have been upgraded to sdk 2 or 2.1 and then trying to find their firmware to download. This can take quite some time and effort. After downloading it, have to try flashing that other sdk2.x firmware and see what works or does not on the i7. From there, would have to try copying drivers over, for anything that is not working, from original i7 firmware.

Some tablets that may have sdk2.x firmwares:
Cube K8GT (http://www.51cube.com/tools.asp?page=1)
Window/Yuandao N12 (http://www.yuandaocn.com/)
Aoson M9

Also, maybe others from MOMO, UZONE (http://www.szuzone.com/en/products.asp), BMORN, TECLAST P75 (no firmware?), etc. to try out.

If some i7 users track down comparable tablets and their firmwares then Roman may test them out.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts