Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Personally I found the RK2918 upgrade process a bit confusing the first time I went through it. I wanted to start this thread to do several things:

A. Provide a one stop place for download links to new firmware (official and unofficial)

b. Provide easy to follow instructions for firmware updating

c. Provide a one stop place for download links for firmware modification tools

As new tools, tips, and firmware becomes available, feel free to add more comments to this thread. I will regularly scan things and move stuff up to the first post so that people don't have to dig through pages of stuff to find things.

-----------UPDATE-------------

Okay, put lots of time and hard work in for your all's benefit
Cheers!

What I have put together is a 3 part full-fledged Wopad i7 Firmware Tools Package. It does NOT include firmware but here is what it DOES include: This COVERS OBJECTIVES "B and "C" as laid out above! Woot!

1. USB Drivers - Specifically for pretty much every Windows OS under the sun, both 32bit and 64bit. There are also basic instructions on how to install them. The only OS that is NOT support is "Windows XP 64-bit." There are drivers, however, for 2000/vista/win7/xp 32bit AND for vista/win7 64bit.

2. Firmware Install Tool - This is a full-fledged RK2918 firmware install tool... here is the best part... it is in ENGLISH! I stole this tool from the Teclast T760 forum (i think?). It works perfectly and you can follow what is going on with it. I also included rather detailed instructions on its use!

3. Firmware Modification Kit - I also included Wendal's Firmware modification kit. This is actually Version 1, which I have found MUCH EASIER to use than the newer version. I had a hard time tracking it down. Anyhow, I also included detailed instructions on its use. This kit can be used to pack/unpack system.img and boot.img files. It can also be used to unpack and repack encrypted system.img files (although this does NOT apply to the Wopadi7... it uses an unencrypted file system). Finally, it is also used to make a "rooted" image. This is the only way that I am aware of to root an RK29 based device.

SO CHEERS! And here is the page where you can download

http://topnotchtablets.com/Wopadi7-Firmware

FIRMWARE
My MODDED Version of Firmware Version 1.0 (or whatever the base version is that comes with the device) can be found at the link above as well now!

Here are some highlights:

- Significantly improved battery life (especially when device is asleep). To accomplish this, support for USB 3G dongles has been removed (be aware of this if you plan on using one).

- Added some extra apps in the System/Extras folder. They are not installed by default, I just dropped the APK files in that folder.

- Rooted

- Improved Market Search Results (more apps showing up... I think
...) and also improved application compatibility.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Delicadaz

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like this thread will become a comprehensive one for Wopad RK2918 users. I will be following this thread closely as I want to root my Wopaid i7.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Well, I just went back and took the base unmodded firmware and started from that. I left the UI alone except I changed the launcher to launcher pro. I changed the build.prop file and the device, theoretically, should have wider market access and (maybe) better application compatibility. It is basically telling everything and everyone that it is a Motorola Droid 2.

I initially tried to add in a few applications but that didn't work for some reason? All the applications I tried to add kept crashing and could not be launched? So I took them back out and just put the apk files in an "extras" folder inside the system folder for those who want them. I use all of them so having the APK files easily at hand is useful for me.

EDIT: I ALSO renamed the phone.apk TO phone.old. This has a couple of implications. First, it means that plug-n-play USB 3G dongles will not work. Second, the Wopad MIGHT get better battery life. This is common practice with other firmware (renaming this file) for other devices as it seemingly does improve battery life (not sure by how much). So Hopefully this will help us get a bit more out of our devices. If enough people are using 3G USB dongles though I am happy to make another version with the phone.apk correctly named and working.

Finally, the firmware is (our should be... i need to test it) rooted and superuser.apk is installed.

Anyhow, I am going to do some more testing but I will release my version of the firmware in the near future

I will also try to put together a tutorial on how to install the USB drivers on Windows Vista/7.

I will also try to put together a tutorial on how to unpack the image files using the tools that I have.

I also have the english language version of the firmware installer program. I will try to put together a tutorial of its use based on what I know (I am not sure what all the features and functions are for? perhaps someone else might know?)

Cheers and I am also copying this post to the Firmware thread.

-Roman

http://topnotchtablets.com

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I just went back and took the base unmodded firmware and started from that. I left the UI alone except I changed the launcher to launcher pro. I changed the build.prop file and the device, theoretically, should have wider market access and (maybe) better application compatibility. It is basically telling everything and everyone that it is a Motorola Droid 2.

I initially tried to add in a few applications but that didn't work for some reason? All the applications I tried to add kept crashing and could not be launched? So I took them back out and just put the apk files in an "extras" folder inside the system folder for those who want them. I use all of them so having the APK files easily at hand is useful for me.

Finally, the firmware is (our should be... i need to test it) rooted and superuser.apk is installed.

Anyhow, I am going to do some more testing but I will release my version of the firmware in the near future

I will also try to put together a tutorial on how to install the USB drivers on Windows Vista/7.

I will also try to put together a tutorial on how to unpack the image files using the tools that I have.

I also have the english language version of the firmware installer program. I will try to put together a tutorial of its use based on what I know (I am not sure what all the features and functions are for? perhaps someone else might know?)

Cheers and I am also copying this post to the Firmware thread.

-Roman

Sounds really exciting! I am looking forward your firmware release!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds really exciting! I am looking forward your firmware release!
Hello all! See First Post in this thread. I updated it recently with a (imho) very nice firmware tools package. The hacked firmware release of mine is also coming out soon.

Thanks!

Roman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Roman, thanks for all the hard work. I have a couple of questions:
Why did you choose Droid 2 to emulate? Is it safe to assume that any apps compatible with Droid 2 will work on the I7?
Also, can the "backup" option of the Rockchip utilities be used to backup the original firmware? Or is this not necessary because the "restore factory settings" restores the original firmware?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roman, thanks for all the hard work. I have a couple of questions:
Why did you choose Droid 2 to emulate? Is it safe to assume that any apps compatible with Droid 2 will work on the I7?
Also, can the "backup" option of the Rockchip utilities be used to backup the original firmware? Or is this not necessary because the "restore factory settings" restores the original firmware?

Thanks again.
-I have never used the backup function before in the Rom utility so I can't speak to what it is or how it works. If you find some info on it though... please SHARE
. I would be interested in finding out what exactly it does.

-Restore Factory Settings DOES NOT restore the original firmware. IT WILL restore the last firmware that was flashed. So if you flash this firmware, junk up your device and then use "Restore Factory Settings" it will restore THIS firmware by apparently "flashing" it again from some other built-in storage chip (this is my guess)

-I chose Droid 2 because that is what was used in the RENA3 build.prop file that opens up the market on that device.

-No, just because the device reports itself as a "Droid 2" does not mean that all apps compatible with the Droid 2 are now compabtible with the i7. HOWEVER, it does give you a chance to try. First, the Android Market now sees you device as a major branded phone and it won't "block" what it deems not compatible with your device (in many cases I suspect that this blocking is just a control/security or money game that developers and Google play and has nothing to do with device compatibility. however, in many cases it DOES have to with device compatibility). Many games for instance will work just fine on the i7, but when you go to play them they won't start because they detect that you have some odd unbranded device. Now they detect a droid 2 and will run. This doesn't mean they will definitely work, it just means that they won't automatically discount your device as "not good enough" or "not compatible" just because they don't recognize it as a major brand unit.

So, this "hack" does broaden compatibility with more apps. But it doesn't guarantee compatibility with every app that is compatible with the Droid 2. It just means that you will now have a chance to try them and see for yourself if they work, rather than Google or the Developer deciding for you that they won't.

I hope that answers everything

Cheers,

Roman

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to try to figure out how to shorten the boot-up time of this device... That is my next goal
for a firmware "update." Boot time is a big frustration for me, coming from the RENA3 where you are up and running in quite literally 20 seconds or less. The I7 can take up to a "painful" eighty seconds in my experience. This really isn't cool.

So, I a putting a call out to all you Android Hackers and Enthusiasts out there. Submit your "hacks" that have worked on any android device to shorten boot-up time. The goal is to get this device's average boot time down to around 30 - 40 seconds. Can it be done on the RK2918 platform? I have no idea. But I think that it can and it is worth a try

Cheers,

Roman

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm torn as to whether to try this new firmware. With my old TCC8902 tablet, I was constantly chasing the newest firmware, until I realized I was spending so much time flashing and re-configuring, and there really wasn't much difference in the firmwares.

On the other hand, it seems like there are a lot of games that don't run on this tablet, and if this firmware fixes that, it would probably be worth it. Has anyone tried the firmware and checked to see if more apps run?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm torn as to whether to try this new firmware. With my old TCC8902 tablet, I was constantly chasing the newest firmware, until I realized I was spending so much time flashing and re-configuring, and there really wasn't much difference in the firmwares.

On the other hand, it seems like there are a lot of games that don't run on this tablet, and if this firmware fixes that, it would probably be worth it. Has anyone tried the firmware and checked to see if more apps run?
My 2 Cents - SDK 2.0 just came out for the RK2918 chipset. I would wait a month or two for new firmware based on that SDK to come out before updating... if you are relatively happy I mean with what you have. If you are really frustrated with a lack of apps showing up in the market, this firmware will help that. I can't promise that all the new apps that show up will work though

Cheers,

Roman

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
is it possible to change back from droid 2, to the original? in the build.prop file or wherever the device info was stored.
Yes, but your issue is not device type but location based.

Changing to droid 2 tricks Market into believing this is the device you are using. This allows you to have access to additional applications. These extra apps that now appear may work in most but not all cases.

What you need is to change the localization. Some apps, like TV.COM (USA), are meant only for a certain country. Read these posts to help you out more.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/21607-android-market-prices/page__p__227459__hl__localization__fromsearch__1#entry227459

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/21556-localized-market-for-phoenixmod-10-0805-mod/page__p__226711__hl__localization__fromsearch__1#entry226711

Something else that may work is to find the application apk off the Internet, download it and try installing the app from the sdcard. This might work but not sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the second link seemed helpful. not sure how i edit build.prop though, i've tried doing it on the wopad, but i don't seem to have write permission in the system-folder.
can someone help me explain how i do that, or should i just google a bit harder? didn't really find how you do.

edit: i tried this, but i still can't save the edited file, or copy a saved build.prop file from the sd-card to replace the existing one. (i'm less than a week old in the android-world so i might be missing some elementary know-how...)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey,

You can't edit system files on most rk2918 based devices even if you have root priveliges. The reason is that they use a compressed cramfs file system for the system specific stuff. The only way to edit system files, therefore, is to extract the firmware files, edit things, then repackage it all, then flash it to the device.

I thought this was the case for all rk2918 devices but I think I just read in the teclast forum that their latest firmware release came with an uncompressed file system.

Anyhow, the tools in my tool package will allow you to modify firmware.

Hope all that helps,

Cheers,

Roman

Sent from my Meiying Phantom M11

HTTP://topnotchtablets.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey,

You can't edit system files on most rk2918 based devices even if you have root priveliges. The reason is that they use a compressed cramfs file system for the system specific stuff. The only way to edit system files, therefore, is to extract the firmware files, edit things, then repackage it all, then flash it to the device.

I thought this was the case for all rk2918 devices but I think I just read in the teclast forum that their latest firmware release came with an uncompressed file system.

Anyhow, the tools in my tool package will allow you to modify firmware.

Hope all that helps,

Cheers,

Roman

Sent from my Meiying Phantom M11

HTTP://topnotchtablets.com
ok, thanks for the explanation!
i've been installing a lot of apps and trying out different web-browsers etc, so i might want to reflash it quite soon anyway. need to look into if i have any us-specific apps that i might want to keep using, otherwise i guess i'll change it into a swedish device instead.

have you tried any new stuff with the firmware lately, roman? managed to cut off booting time perhaps, or are you only playing with your new phantom tablet nowadays?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, thanks for the explanation!
i've been installing a lot of apps and trying out different web-browsers etc, so i might want to reflash it quite soon anyway. need to look into if i have any us-specific apps that i might want to keep using, otherwise i guess i'll change it into a swedish device instead.

have you tried any new stuff with the firmware lately, roman? managed to cut off booting time perhaps, or are you only playing with your new phantom tablet nowadays?
You are right in saying that I have mainly been using my new Phantom M11
... I love the device and it is hard to use anything else once you get used to it. Irregardless, there are apparently no "easy" fixes for boot-time beyond getting apps that will kill processes or prevent them booting to begin with. Most require root access. I will look around the market for such apps and try them on my i7. I don't have "root" yet on my M11

In regards to the i7, I also need to do some "google-fu" to see if any updated firmware has been released.

Cheers and best of luck!

Roman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Trying to upgrade the i7. Have tried Windows Xp & Vista using the drivers above (all 32 bit machines), unfortunately none seem to be working.

Has anyone successfully used the 32 bit drivers on either with success. It says the i7 is recognised as a TCHIP usb device (?).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Roman,

Thanks for all your sharing. I am trying to use your files to update my i7. Running on a windows7 PC using the 64bit machine folder driver file, I encounter the problem saying i7 is recognised as TCHIP usb deivce(?) and the driver are not installed successfully. Any idea why? Thx.

Junior

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Has anyone successfully used the 32 bit drivers on either with success. It says the i7 is recognised as a TCHIP usb device (?).
I just upgraded my i7 in Ubuntu with VirtualBox XP using 32 bit drivers. Getting USB through to VB required some detective work but it was successful and installing drivers manually worked OK.

Cheers,
Kaj

1 - 20 of 38 Posts