Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks - since I am not very savvy on how the Android market works with devices, as my archos 5 IT has the real deal, my ZT-180 has none, and this thing has a somewhat limited version, is this something that can be improved with future ROM updates, or is this limited version of Market the best we'll ever get?Thanks,BC

·
Registered
92 Posts
[quote name='spudslatte;50096]Folks - since I am not very savvy on how the Android market works with devices' date=' as my archos 5 IT has the real deal, my ZT-180 has none, and this thing has a somewhat limited version, is this something that can be improved with future ROM updates, or is this limited version of Market the best we'll ever get?Thanks,BC[/QUOTE']This. A limited Market is garbage.Also, why are you posting here? This section of the board for the WITS A81. We can't say if there'll be one for the ZT-180.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
[quote name='SymphonyX7;50243]This. A limited Market is garbage.Also' date=' why are you posting here? This section of the board for the WITS A81. We can't say if there'll be one for the ZT-180.[/QUOTE'] Symphony, i think he is saying that his Archos has full market and the ZT has none and that the A81E has a limited version, that's all. I have noticed the same issue with devices i have, can have market running on two different ones (2.1 and 2.2) and the A81E doesnt find what i can on the 2.1 device.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Full market is DRM'ed. Full market on typical Android phones relies on an IMEI from a cell phone manufacturer. Our devices do not have an IMEI. All we have is a MAC address, which reportedly changes upon each reflash. Thus our devices do not have a static reference upon which they can identify us if we purchase applications, "Oh, this guy is here, he bought this application." Our "here" is not well defined, so they cannot sell to us. As a greater of us "undefinables" are popping up with our devices, running Android but unable to purchase apps, who knows how Google will deal with us.

·
Registered
92 Posts
[quote name='plasmadis;50280]Full market is [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management]DRM'ed[/URL]. Full market on typical Android phones relies on an IMEI from a cell phone manufacturer. Our devices do not have an IMEI. All we have is a [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address]MAC address[/URL]' date=' which reportedly changes upon each reflash. Thus our devices do not have a static reference upon which they can identify us if we purchase applications, "Oh, this guy is here, he bought this application." Our "here" is not well defined, so they cannot sell to us. As a greater of us "undefinables" are popping up with our devices, running Android but unable to purchase apps, who knows how Google will deal with us.[/QUOTE'] Thanks for the explanation. At least I understand now that it really can't be done... That's a shame though.So if I buy a cheapo Android phone like the Galaxy i5500, Galaxy Spica or Optimus GT540, I can get stuff from the Market and then transfer the .apk files to my tablet?

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
[quote name='plasmadis;50280]Full market is [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management]DRM'ed[/URL]. Full market on typical Android phones relies on an IMEI from a cell phone manufacturer. Our devices do not have an IMEI. All we have is a [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address]MAC address[/URL]' date=' which reportedly changes upon each reflash. Thus our devices do not have a static reference upon which they can identify us if we purchase applications, "Oh, this guy is here, he bought this application." Our "here" is not well defined, so they cannot sell to us. As a greater of us "undefinables" are popping up with our devices, running Android but unable to purchase apps, who knows how Google will deal with us.[/QUOTE'] Good to know, plasmadis, thanks fro the info :)

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote name='SymphonyX7;50286]Thanks for the explanation. At least I understand now that it really can't be done... That's a shame though.So if I buy a cheapo Android phone like the Galaxy i5500' date=' Galaxy Spica or Optimus GT540, I can get stuff from the Market and then transfer the .apk files to my tablet?[/QUOTE'] There's a requests thread in Android Tablet OS Apps where you can get people to download market apks for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks much, everyone - now i understand the issue behind it - and thanks for the tip on the Android Tablet OS Apps

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
sorry to ask another question, im a tad confussed. Open up market on A81E, do a search for "ADW" it says no apps available.Open up market on telechips, search "ADW" get both paid and free apps?? what am i missing??just tried it on apad v2, same result as telechips

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
yeah i agree, still cant work out why one device has different market to other, do they have different markets?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts