Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I disable WEP on my router, I can connect. When I then reset WEP on router it will connect, but after router is turned off and on, I cannot connect.. it tries to connect and then.. fairly quickly.. shows "disconnect".Since I can connect when open (non-WEP), I feel there must be a solution to reliably connecting when WEP is enabled. Any suggestions?Using dynamic IP address.. latest PDN firmware (7-4)Thanks,David

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Don't use WEP at all - it was cracked many years ago and it's ridiculously easy to get around, now. You're giving yourself a false sense of security by using it.I'm using a refurb Linksys WAP54G, threw on DD-WRT and my PDN can access it (using WPA2). The only issues I have are the hidden SSID Android bug (of which there's an APK to get around that) and that my Wifi on my PDN sometimes goes a bit wonky. It fails to find my home SSID, but also doesn't see any other SSID's in my area. Then, it just as quickly starts working again - very annoying.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Same, in my case - DD-WRT, WPA2-AES. The Hidden apk worked at least once for me, then i put it to sleep, tried again and didn't work. Then, re-enabled broadcast but the WiFi is still spotty - sometimes works, sometimes fails to find anything. I might have to try another WAP just to see if it's more reliable, or perhaps it's just the device itself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hate to say it, but I think it's the device. Or at least the firmware for the device. I have had slightly better luck with WEP vs WPA2 though. Just created a second SSID using WEP just for my Android devices as my Droid also seemed to have issues with my router running only WPA2.That being said, after the device has been put in sleep mode reconnecting has been very inconsistent for me. Sometimes it will say it has reconnected, but cannot access websites or update facebook, seesmic, etc. (not really connected). Not sure why.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I've done a few more tests. For my setup (again, DD-WRT WPA2 AES and broadcast on at the moment), I don't seem to have any issues with sleep as long as I WAIT long enough before fiddling with it. It seems to take about 2-3 minutes to reconnect after sleep. For a full reset, the WiFi is off by default and turning it on can still be spotty. I have the 7/5/2010 firmware, btw.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Westell 327W DSL modem/router.. I used to be able to connect PDN with security turned off in router.. now I can't even do that.. it says it is assigning an IP address then quickly goes o "Disconnecting". Other wireless devices connect fine.Anybody else have any thoughts on things I could try.I appreciate and agree with the various comments about WEP and WPA.. I am only trying to solve this PDN problem right now.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Unfortunately, I think it's the device and probably buggy firmware. WEP / un-secured really isn't an option imo - and if this doesn't get better by the next firmware update, I may have to consider returning mine.I have the exact same issues, btw. After sleep, it sometimes works but sometimes does not - and if I try to connect manually, it either doesn't see my WAP at all or, if it does, it may diconnect after trying to assign an IP (and using a static IP is not any better). Then I turn off / on Wifi a few times and it eventually starts working. I don't have issues with any other device except this one.EDIT: Try this, as this works about 90% of the time for me -- after coming back from sleep, don't do anything at all. Just let it sit there and sort itself out. After 1-2 minutes, I usually get the green glow of connectivity. But, if I go in and fiddle with it before that happens, it takes longer to "fix".

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
are you running the 7-05 fw? I haven't had any connectivity issues, but I gave one to my GFs nephew and he had this problem. Waiting to see if that helps. Some say it has.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm running the 7-04 fw.. but, according to some of the other posts here, they are the same. I guess I will wait for the upcoming update and see what happens.. I will try the waiting technique and see if that works. Stranger things have been found to work!!!Thanks..

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
try the 7-05 fw... be my guinea pig:-D

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah.. I found that. I don't feel very comfortable with that since I am not hacking my device and don't have a "root with adb.exe" and have no idea how to get it back to original condition if it gets fouled up.. I'll patiently wait for a more "idiot-proof" solution..David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts