Android Tablets Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
No one has added to this in a while so I just want to confirm that as of 08 22 2012 today - YES- this wifi problem still exists with a PAndigital Supernova I just bought last week.

I just (last week Aug 15th 2012 or so) bought a SuperNova at Best Buy (like everyone else )

and the firmware is IR80_S_BN_W_A_A_09282011
It connected fine for several days and then after a few power cycles it doesn't anymore - the classic searching/scanning disconnecting from any and all wifi sources (except one unencrpyted nearby wifi signal which will let me get a "connected" sign and shows a google search page but that is all - afraid it's a honeypot so I don't stay connected to it long but i wonder if the wifi issue is only a problem on encrypted wifi beacons?).
I bought two tablets and the tablet which has never been turned off still connects just fine.

Apparently there is another firmware in addition to one mentioned on this forum which JUST came out in labeled 5/2012 or close to that.

Before I lost WIFI connect ability my Firmware update app was telling me a new firmware was available but I chose not to update it because I was afraid of its effect on all the apps I had already installed (I did not have root but had google market and most apps I wanted anyway.).

Anyway just so people know and keep updating this topic - new Supernova's being sold still have this wifi drop out issue and anyone who could chime in with recent knowledge about the effects of new firmware updates on this problem and rooting and Google market etc would be much appreciated.

I know this tablet is suddenly getting a lot of sales becuase Big Lots is selling out of them at $99 every shipment they get each weekened and that is 3 or so per store.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No one has added to this in a while so I just want to confirm that as of 08 22 2012 today - YES- this wifi problem still exists with a PAndigital Supernova I just bought last week.

I just (last week Aug 15th 2012 or so) bought a SuperNova at Best Buy (like everyone else )

and the firmware is IR80_S_BN_W_A_A_09282011
It connected fine for several days and then after a few power cycles it doesn't anymore - the classic searching/scanning disconnecting from any and all wifi sources (except one unencrpyted nearby wifi signal which will let me get a "connected" sign and shows a google search page but that is all - afraid it's a honeypot so I don't stay connected to it long but i wonder if the wifi issue is only a problem on encrypted wifi beacons?).
I bought two tablets and the tablet which has never been turned off still connects just fine.

Apparently there is another firmware in addition to one mentioned on this forum which JUST came out in labeled 5/2012 or close to that.

Before I lost WIFI connect ability my Firmware update app was telling me a new firmware was available but I chose not to update it because I was afraid of its effect on all the apps I had already installed (I did not have root but had google market and most apps I wanted anyway.).

Anyway just so people know and keep updating this topic - new Supernova's being sold still have this wifi drop out issue and anyone who could chime in with recent knowledge about the effects of new firmware updates on this problem and rooting and Google market etc would be much appreciated.

I know this tablet is suddenly getting a lot of sales becuase Big Lots is selling out of them at $99 every shipment they get each weekened and that is 3 or so per store.
The problem isn't the tablet but the firmware. If you have anything from 09/2011 to 11/2011 you will have the issue, although the 09282011 firmware worked OK for me. Ideally you want the 0120212 or newer firmware as those have definitely fixed the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The problem isn't the tablet but the firmware. If you have anything from 09/2011 to 11/2011 you will have the issue, although the 09282011 firmware worked OK for me. Ideally you want the 0120212 or newer firmware as those have definitely fixed the issue.
thank you.

Now the question is how to get the newer firmware when I can't get a wifi signal to use the fw update tool?

I don't see a place to download it to an sd card or I think I would do it that way.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thank you.

Now the question is how to get the newer firmware when I can't get a wifi signal to use the fw update tool?

I don't see a place to download it to an sd card or I think I would do it that way.

Any ideas?
If you contact Pandigital they will e-mail you a link to the most recent to download. If it is newer than the 0102 then please share it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
so just to update

since I couldn't get a wifi signal I treid to do a manual firmware update by putting the downloadable fW
from here

http://onykage.com/files/android/IR80_S_AZ_W_A_A_01022012.zip

and doing this:

1 Download the firmware file, which can is found at the URL on your browser here: http://c279827.r27.cf1.rackcdn.com/I...A_01022012.zip

2. Copy the firmware update file onto a micro SD card.
3. After the file has completely downloaded, remove the memory card from the card reader
4. Turn your Pandigital device off
5. Charge your eReader to 100% or FW update will not be successful
6. Insert the memory card into your Pandigital device
7. Press and hold the power button and the volume up key at the same time
8. Once the Pandigial logo appears and the home now button lights up blue, then release only the POWER Button while still continuing to hold the volume up button
9. Once the FW automation progression status bar appears, release the Volume up button
10. The FW update is performed and the device restarts automatically

During the update process, you should see the Android robot and update performance status on the screen. If the device started without displaying these turn the device off and repeat step 4 again.

If you still cannot connect to Wi-Fi after the firmware update is complete, perform a factory reset through Settings>Privacy>Factory data reset, NOTE; After a factory reset you will need to re-set up your personalized data, account login information, and re-download media files.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If the problem persists, or if you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to call our support line at 1-800-715-5354. Our support hours are Monday - Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm Central Time and Saturday 9:00am - 3:00pm Central Time."

To be specific I put the zip file in the top level of the micro sd card.

It would not load in the boot process.

two things for others trying this:
1. when they say you need to hold the power button and the vol up button down together what you really need to do is first hold the vol up button then the power button and you hold them both until after you first see the pandigital logo and then that goes OFF and the screen goes blank and then the blue four buttons at the bottom of the device blink WHILE NOTHING IS ON THE SCREEN and at that moment you release the power button while still holding the vol up button.

THEN and ONLY THEN will the pandigital word come back ont he screen while the blue buttons are still on and then and only then will the bootloader display the android robot and the box with the opening arrow.

If you wait to see BOTH the panadigital AND the home button be blue at the same time - it won't ever happen.

if you wait after the blue buttons all flash nothingmore will happen.

you have to release the power button right when the blue buttons flash.

if you screw up everything will remain black after they flash no matter how long you hold either or both buttons down.

(if tha thappens just release both buttons and wait a second and then hold the power button until it powers down and then do a power on as normal.

then you can power down and try the whole thing again.

the official directions that say wait until BOTH the pandigital word AND the home button are lit AT THE SAME TIME is WRONG.

so now that THAT is cvleared up

bakc to my problem.

I got the android robot and the opening box witht he arrow meaning it was trying to find the fw to unzip and load it.

however then quickly got the android robot and the exclamation mark which means it either couldn't unzip it or it was confused about which file to load.

SO it tired moving the file to the maininternal card, and even trying another copy of the FW file I found somewhere else that was also numbered the same.

they all gave me the ! makrk.

so finally I decided to do a complete system wipe using privacy, rest.

I did it once and STILL could not get the wifi to work.
I had to power down and do it AGAIN to finally get the wifi to work and catch my router and stay connected with an ip asignment.

I quickly found if I cycled the device off and on even once it lost ability to hold wifi.

And then I had to do a reset TWICE again to get it wifi back.

SO finally I did a twice reset - got it up and running with a gmail registration and decided to try to do a firmware update withthe fw update program while I still had WIFI since nothing else was working.

SO I let it do a firmware update and it downloaded IR80_S_BN_W_A_A11152011.zip onto the SDCARD.

the stated source path was R80B452/IR80_S_BN_W_A_A11152011.zip so maybe someone can find that path on the pandigital webiste if they need the file.

IT wasn't a 2012 FW file like I had hoped because those are the ones that supposedly really fixed the wifi porblem but I am installing the firmware using the program by hitting the "next" button now.

We''ll see what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK.

so the new firmware was installed.

It has held the wifi signal through three power ups and downs and several manual "forget" and reconnects I did on my wifi connection so so far so good.

I also did a usb link to my pc and found the zip of the new fw which is the name I mentioned above and it is 173 MB vs the 128 MB version I have seen people suggest be downloaded which did not ever take for me.

SO there is a substantial size difference.

SO I found the new FW on the root of the sdcard and copied it to my hpc so i have a copy of that.

however according to this:
http://www.pandigital.net/userfiles/file/Downloads/Media-Tablets-Firmware-Instructions.pdf

there SHOULD also be a copy of the OLD 9 28 firmware I just upgraded FROM in a directory called "old firmware"

Well that directory does not exist and neither does a copy of the old firmware.

I have all hidden files and system fiels set to display on my pc running VISTA 64 and when I do a usb link debugging to the pandigital via a cable that directory is not seen ANYWHERE.

sorry for the typos. no time to fix now.

hopefully this new firmware will hold onto my wifi.

if not I'm getting ont he phone to pandigital and getting thelatst firmware. if they have a later one.

gonna try to get android market on there with the gtablet.zip package floating around . It worked withthe old firmware. hopefully it will work with this one and not cause wifi issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ok:

continuing the saga

was able to do the whole get market without rooting thing withthe gtablet file as described here:

"
Now proceed to installing the market prereqs.
Goto Apps>ES File Explorer
Navigate to the SD Card>gtablet>app folder.

Install in the following order.

onetime initializer
setup wizard
google services framework.
Gmail
Talk
Maps

Now install Market.1.8.2

NOTICE
Android Market 3.4.4 works but is extremely bugged. Very Likely to crash. not recomended at this time.
Android Market 1.8.2 works great but will only show you approved apps. Non compatible apps will not display.

Choose wizely.
Step 4

Finally….

DO NOT RUN THE MARKET YET!!!!

Reboot the device imediately after the install completes.
When the device reboots. Click the "use by default this action" ticker at the bottom and click "Launcher".
Go back to Settings>Applications>Development and turn USB debugging off.

Viola!

Now you can go back into Apps>ES File Explorer and install the goodies in the extras folder if you like."

end quotes all from

http://www.onykage.com/?p=245

I did NOT Ginger break it.

don't know why.
Just wanted tosee if I could get it back to how it was under the old firmware before it had wifi issues.

SO here's a big tip:

yeah I have market now but as you all know this tablet doesn't present a lot of characterisitcs that many apps look for and so market won't even show you those apps even though most will work on this great tablet.

SO here's somethign you can do to get a lot more apps legitamately.

using the stnadard GetJar app that comes withthe tablet go to categories and choose "entertainment"

inthat catergory scroll down until you see an app called "Good e-Reader Android App Store"

download and install that.

then open it.

after a spalsh screen you see a catagory called "Android app stores"

there you can download the "Amazon Appstore ofor Android"
do it and install it.

now you have TWO more app stores - the Good Ereader app store and the amazon app store and they WILL show a lot mor eapps to install.

you can also try downloaidng and installing "google play market" and "appbrain" and "1 mobile market for android "

I haven't tried them onthe pandigital.

soem say play ha sproblems and I don't need problems.

I personally didn't like Appbrain on my phone becuase it always tried to push updates of old apps and when i manually removed apps it didn't know and tried to reinsert them on my phone so i didn't want that although it's a great online interface to search for apps.

while you are in good ereader android app sotre be sure to download Google Earth for Android, Google Sky Map under essentinal Apps (their spelling mistake not mine)

Also get Aldiko under "ereader apps"
under newspapers and magazines catagory BBC news, Cnn App for Android tablets, and google currents all work well.

havent tried the others.

under "video and audio apps " Tunein Radio is brilliant - makes your tablet into a world radio with more channles to listen too than sirius and for free!

also get the real "Youtube for Android"
there ar emany othe rplayers there like moboplayer, vlc stream and convert, mx video player, and real player which are great on thepc but I haven't tried them ont he tablet.
(sometimes having too many video players makes the tablet always askyou which one to use for every single video link and that gets annoying)

under social media catagory get google+ twitter facebook etc if you like them.
get drobox under business as well as google docs and astro file manager. havent tried polaris office or documents to go.
es file explorer is already on the tablet (but maybe a crippled version?)

Skype is under "internet and communication" but i can't get it to properly send video on a video call - i sor tof freezes the outgoing video signal but it will do voice skype easily.

get chrome and firefox there if you want them. anothe r google gmail program haven't tested it.
netflix is under "entetainment" and crackle is there too and has truely free older movies but i makes the app sotre force close when you try to download itr so don't get it from there.

alarm clock plus under health and fitness is great.

mirror under "lifestyle catagory is great.

so that gets you ton of great apps without root.

so far so good.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I got the android robot and the opening box witht he arrow meaning it was trying to find the fw to unzip and load it.

however then quickly got the android robot and the exclamation mark which means it either couldn't unzip it or it was confused about which file to load.

SO it tired moving the file to the maininternal card, and even trying another copy of the FW file I found somewhere else that was also numbered the same.

they all gave me the ! makrk.
Once you got the exclamation, why didn't you use the recovery menu to browse to the firmware file? It would have saved you a lot of grief.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
well i had just released vol up :)

I thought this tablet had no recovery?

any way i think the one i installed is actually more up to date than the on elabeled 2012,

just a feeling becuase the one i installed is the latest one from pandigital themselves.

i don't know the source of the one labeled 2012.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
well i had just released vol up :)

I thought this tablet had no recovery?

any way i think the one i installed is actually more up to date than the on elabeled 2012,

just a feeling becuase the one i installed is the latest one from pandigital themselves.

i don't know the source of the one labeled 2012.
2012 2011 is the year the 01022012 is newer. There were some people reporting an update back in May but it was targeted to a specific Supernova and no one was able to post a link. The Supernova are all the same but the firmware reflects the packaging for a specific vendor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well which version of the3 Supernova will flash with the later ROM?

If it is the amazon version wouldn't flashing an amazon rom cause the tablet to sek out and install the later FW update?

Also what difference does the 2012 firmware have ?

Does it have a recovery o other things?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just ordered a refurb PD SuperNova RR80B455 from Geeks.Com. Do you suppose it will also have this WI-FI issue or has it been solved?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since I bought the same one you did, I hope so. I think I saw some posts that said the new firmware solves the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since I bought the same one you did, I hope so. I think I saw some posts that said the new firmware solves the problem.
We shall see. Mine should arrive sometime this week. Let me know how it goes with yours

·
Registered
1 Posts
We shall see. Mine should arrive sometime this week. Let me know how it goes with yours
I have a Supernova I bought through BigLots(remanufactured).. got it for $109.00. everything seems fine, no wi-fi issues running IR80_s_bn_w_a_a_12152011

everything seems to work great, except mine reports it only has about an 800MHz cpu (supposed to be 1.06 GHz) most sys info reports say 0 or ? for speed

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have a Supernova I bought through BigLots(remanufactured).. got it for $109.00. everything seems fine, no wi-fi issues running IR80_s_bn_w_a_a_12152011

everything seems to work great, except mine reports it only has about an 800MHz cpu (supposed to be 1.06 GHz) most sys info reports say 0 or ? for speed
800mhz is 1.0ghz. Actual clock speed VS advertised clockspeed is different. Like tablets claiming 1.2 are actually 1.2 or claiming 1.5 are actually 1.2

·
Registered
26 Posts

I got mine from Biglots too and your latest firmware version does fix the wifi issue mine was 928 2011 but the a December firmware does fix the wifi issue. it's really great tablet and I got mine for 99 at Big Lots. It does amazng things.

Do use the fwupdate app to update it to the latest if you havent.

Then down load ginger break and root it.

Also add the gaps file that is dkscused to get the rest of gogle services and maroet going.

Read my other posts fr all tings you should get on there.

Definitly add the voice search version i said works. That makes a big difference and beat typing.

Also read about how you can get the amazon stre from the gooddereader apps store which you can find in get jar.
Those give you tons more apps to.

Definitely do buy amd instal lcdmodpro after using gingerbreak.

Changing the lcd dpi makes a lot more apps show up in market.

My intertial roator sensor isnt working so some gamesdont work. Dont know if that is everyone.

Put google drice on thebso you can share fileseasoly withvyour other computers isijg thebsame google drve free acount.

Get aldicko reader for eboks.
Get the radio tinig app on the goodereaderap store.

Get the EATLIER VERSION OF SKYPE as someone mentioned o me in my other comments here.
The latest wont do video skype on he superova.

Great for websurfing reading the radio station tuning program good camera get the fre k9 email progam from market and set it up to get all your emails in a unified box. Muchh faster thab the included email program which wont download messages unless you open them so slow.

Gocod luck!

Still want too fix te sensor issuefor some games.

Also no gps means some thing dontbwork.
But not bad for 99!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got mine from Biglots too and your latest firmware version does fix the wifi issue mine was 928 2011 but the a December firmware does fix the wifi issue. it's really great tablet and I got mine for 99 at Big Lots. It does amazng things.

Also no gps means some thing dontbwork.
But not bad for 99!
Thanks for all the info. Since mine was on sale for $70, I could not pass it by.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts