Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this info somewhere on the forum, but can't locate it now to give creds to the OP. His post links to a scaled up PDF, but it is easy enough to scale it if you keep the aspect ratio the same. There is a square printed for reference. Anyway, here are my results using 8.25" X 5.25" (flat measurements) reflector. I used the very sophisticated test instrument on my PDN to measure signal strength. (Not sure what units it is in??) Tricorder. Anyway, here are my results:Here is the link to the template:http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.htmlWith no antenna sampled signal strength = avg. 35.76 somethingsWith antenna & actually not in front of it = avg. 37.83 somethingsThe reflector is designed to focus the transmission pattern in the front direction, but seems to boost the signal in most directions at fairly close range. (aprox. 10')

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not sure I see the relevance to the Novel except that you used it to 'test' the difference in wifi signal strength.Also it's hard to tell if an increase of 2.07 somethings is significant or just a trace variable.I currently use the windsurfer parabolic on my wrt-54g for more focused directional control and it does improve the signal.If someone wants to try making this antenna, I would make the recommendation that you should print to acetate printer sheets (overhead slides) and second GLUE the TINFOIL on FIRST.You get a much cleaner end product. I used one of those budget glue sticks on the acetate and it works great.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is antenna strength like audio volume levels, in that a 3dB increase is a DOUBLE in signal level?Also what about doing a test with the foil reflector attached to the inside of the back cover for the Novel?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure about WiFi signal strength relative to audio power levels. I know that every 3dB of spl requires a doubling of amplifier power, just not sure how RF signal strength equates to transmitter power to the antenna. Knowing me, I will explore that though, 'cause that's what I do! Regarding bkagan's questioning the relevance to Novel, this reflector is going on the WiFi router antenna! Therefore it is relevant to any device that uses WiFi to connect. I would like to know what units the Tricorder is reporting & maybe if it is at all accurate for this purpose. If it is at least repeatable, which it seems to be, it is at worst a relative measurement for me to optimize my WiFi setup.Cheers,kev

·
Registered
666 Posts
I though 3dB was a Doubling of Volume level and required a 10 fold increase in power... Guess i need to go back and freshen up on my old-skool learnings.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3dB is about the minimum detectable change is sound level that we can detect. 10dB is perceived as twice as loud & that takes 10x amplifier power. So 2x amp power to increase 3dB (only just noticeable change) & 10x amp power to increase 10dB (twice as loud). It's sooo confusing unless you use it often. BTW: I wanted to add, BUT CAN'T EDIT MY PREVIOUS POST !, I posted this info because I read some people weren't happy with the wireless range they got with the PDN. I am all for DIY improvements to my setup! Cheers,kev

·
Registered
666 Posts
mine is always 1 bar, unless im right next to my accesspoint then it is 2 bars :|

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.