Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cory Doctorow of BoingBoing.net wrote this post (http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-you-shouldnt-either.html) last month on what it means to have a device that can be toyed around with, modified, tinkered, etc.Quite frankly, I imagine that Eken and other companies who are selling cheap devices like the Slatedroid are in it for a quick buck before they sell something else. They don't really care one way or another what you do with their products as long as you don't give them a bad name and there's nothing wrong with that.At the same time, I'm thankful for devices that can be easily modified to suit other purposes. Too many restriction and too much DRM keeps folks from having fun and more importantly, it keeps them from learning.I want to say kudos to those folks in this small community who have taken it upon themselves to take a new device and make it their own and I'm patiently waiting on the next stable firmware upgrade, hopefully with swap and a speed increase. ;D

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is an interesting article. While I admit I am a PC/Windows/Linux person, I will admit that the iPod Touch has an amazing UI and is a very useful device (mine is always nearby) for email, quick web lookups etc. However....much like the iPad, it has no Flash and no Java unless you jailbreak it.I roll my eyes every time I see the little "missing plugin" icon. Android 2.2 could be the defining moment for handsets/MIDs as it plugs almost all the experience gaps and will give a more desktop-like experience for the web. As for Apple saying HTML5 is the way forward, it probably is for some. However think of all those app developers, web admins and websites all using Flash/Shockwave. I doubt they will disappear any time soon. People generally stay with what they know. The ONLY reason that Apple doesnt want flash is because flash apps are generally free, and dont require an iTunes store. Monopolization, pure and simple.Just one last thing: The BBC recently reported that Android phones now outnumber iPhones. Seeing as there is more choice of Android phones, its hardly surprising - that and a price that is 50-70% less than an iPhone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't see why this debate keeps popping up, Android Tablets vs iPad. I think both are very different devices and have their own advantages and disadvantages.Android Tablets have better compatibility generally, especially due to the fact it's open source. If Google decided for some reason to disable Flash natively, I'm sure someone would've just written a plugin or modded the OS to allow Flash to work anyway.On the other hand, I do see why Apple choose not to give Flash compatibility. They're very strict on their policies and I think it's understandable for them not to allow it. Flash is a battery drain and hogs system resources, as well as allowing security loopholes. Since Apple control their software and hardware, I can understand why they simply choose not to allow Flash completely, just seems like a safer option.Oh, and a ton of games on the App Store are already available for free on Flash! :pBut anyway, iPad offers a better experience than Android tablets. Having the cheap tablets from China doesn't really help, since the touchscreens are nowhere near as nice as those on Apple devices (iPhones/iPod Touches/iPads). The variety and quality of applications already available on the App Store to me just seems like a stronger offering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The advantages to android has to be definetly the price as I have an iphone (Jailbroken) and a htc running android, personally i prefer the userinterface of the iphone as the touch functionalities are much more smoother than the android i also think some the apps are to a better standard from cydia than the marketplace on android.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
I dunno, some people find that kind of stuff kinky?It would be one-of-a-kind though, his technique is completely propriety, anyone wanting to implement it would be slaughtered by legal defence ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well...I own an iPad and I just consider it to be an excellent device, worth every cent. I own an iPhone 3GS, also, and guess what... It is far better than any other phone I own and I do own severam smartphones, WM and Symbios. I am familiar with Android, but do not own any device with it, so I just ordered an ePad to mess around with it.What tech people seem to fail to understand with the iPhone and iPad is that these devices are meant to bring you content (books, music, movies, internet, email,etc.) in a fast, convinient and reliable way. They do so in such an easy way, that the devices do not include any manual whatsoever and still even my daughter knows automatically how to use them.I am a tech freak and a nerd. I spent nights with Linux, apt-get, make config, VB .Net, etc. But at the end of the day, it is amazing to pick up my iPad, check mail, surf the major sites and the watch a movie, which is streamed over Wifi from my server...All this without worries regarding virus or trojans. It just works and the user does not nerd to care how it does so. Brilliant it is.So please try these devices for a couple of days, before commenting on them...Cheers,vma

·
Registered
97 Posts
vma, you are seriously missing the whole point of the argument against Apple and their over-priced yet dumbed down tech. While I agree that tech should be accessible by the multitude, it SHOULDNT be closed off by one company/individual who runs rule over everything and enforces that rule with an iron fist! It is very dangerous for one person to have control over every aspect of your life. If Jobs and his Apple Tarts get their way you will be asking for permission just to squeeze a murky one out after a curry and a pint (as long as its an Apple approved one, otherwise you will be hooked into the iPod of doom and brain-frakked till you are convinced your name is S.Jobs).Viruses? So far the iPhone, iPod and iPad have all had numerous viruses! You might even have one but you wouldnt know it because Jobs doesnt want to tell you about it! SO therefore "They dont exist!"What is bad in regards to Apple being first to market with the iPad is that all the other major players are now using the same pricing model for their tablets. My apad is worth ?100 and not much more (I paid just shy of ?150 for it and it was hugely overpriced for what it is!). My iPad is worth around ?200 notes (cost me near ?500) A 10 inch android pad with a decent touchscreen (capacitive or resistive) should not be priced above ?200. But due to the iPads apparent success, these pads are coming to market with price tags of ?300-400!!!!Will the masses jump on board IF the prices stay over-inflated? I am not too sure.......An android pad is NOT an Apple product. So while a droid pad may be better all round, it doesnt have the bling that Apple has to warrant the justification of spending over the odds for a bit of tarted up tat! Which makes me wonder, just how long is the pad going to be around for? Personally I love the pad way of computing. However, I still find myself using my netbook just as much as I did before I got an iPad and an aPad. I use the aPad way more than I use the iPad. In fact the iPad is used mainly by friends and family as an e-book/comic book reader! Oh the irony ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I worry much more about Facebook than Apple...Both my iPhone and iPad have the obvious jailbreak - so much about control. But them, thats not even the point... A tablet device is to consume content. Steve does not control the internet and its content.And sure, look at Google! Have you doubts about their power and control?All I wanted to point out is this: before flaming a device, try to use it properly first, instead on relying on others reports.Cheers,vma

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote name='riki1kenobi;21846]vma' date=' you are seriously missing the whole point of the argument against Apple and their over-priced yet dumbed down tech. While I agree that tech should be accessible by the multitude, it SHOULDNT be closed off by one company/individual who runs rule over everything and enforces that rule with an iron fist! It is very dangerous for one person to have control over every aspect of your life. If Jobs and his Apple Tarts get their way you will be asking for permission just to squeeze a murky one out after a curry and a pint (as long as its an Apple approved one, otherwise you will be hooked into the iPod of doom and brain-frakked till you are convinced your name is S.Jobs).Viruses? So far the iPhone, iPod and iPad have all had numerous viruses! You might even have one but you wouldnt know it because Jobs doesnt want to tell you about it! SO therefore "They dont exist!"What is bad in regards to Apple being first to market with the iPad is that all the other major players are now using the same pricing model for their tablets. My apad is worth ?100 and not much more (I paid just shy of ?150 for it and it was hugely overpriced for what it is!). My iPad is worth around ?200 notes (cost me near ?500) A 10 inch android pad with a decent touchscreen (capacitive or resistive) should not be priced above ?200. But due to the iPads apparent success, these pads are coming to market with price tags of ?300-400!!!!Will the masses jump on board IF the prices stay over-inflated? I am not too sure.......An android pad is NOT an Apple product. So while a droid pad may be better all round, it doesnt have the bling that Apple has to warrant the justification of spending over the odds for a bit of tarted up tat! Which makes me wonder, just how long is the pad going to be around for? Personally I love the pad way of computing. However, I still find myself using my netbook just as much as I did before I got an iPad and an aPad. I use the aPad way more than I use the iPad. In fact the iPad is used mainly by friends and family as an e-book/comic book reader! Oh the irony ;)[/QUOTE'] I agree with you 100%

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I keep saying this everywhere someone will listen, but apple inadvertently creates entire markets by overpricing and over-restricting their devices. You, sir, might be an apple fanboy, which is your prerogative. They make good stuff. I won't buy a new apple device - only used ones, and usually ones I can refurb, because I refuse to reify their view of the world. I want my device to be my device, not Jobs' device I rent and ask permission to use. Apple will "skim the cream" off the market at $700 bucks, then drop the price when froyo comes out on resistive screen devices with more upgradability and more features.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"What is bad in regards to Apple being first to market with the iPad is that all the other major players are now using the same pricing model for their tablets. "They weren't the first. I've had other tablets from Fujitsu, and others and they all sucked and were expensive. Apple was the first to make something that worked well. It's just that you don't remember the very forgettable predecessors.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I have an old Psion 5mx (the Ericsson MC218 version) which still works just fine. It even has a good keyboard. The screen however is not in color and Internet connection slow but the screen is quick and programs run smoothly. Too bad they didn't continued with updated versions in the same size. I would have loved to have a "modern" version of this small handheld computer

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own two Apple Macbooks. They were purchased before I found out about Linux If, I knew how cool Linux wasand how easy to use it was plus the adware and virus protection I would have used it years ago. With that said, I have used theiPad. It is very nice. However its base price of $500.00 is daunting. Its lack of some features was odd also. The Androidpads have more of what consumers want at a better price.As for their future....At first, I thought the laptop or netbook was done but not now. These things are fun but I don't see them being usedby many people. At least not yet. Considering that a e-reader costs around the same as many of the pads andthat the pads can go on-line they are a clear winner there. As for much else. I think that may take some moretime.

·
Registered
100 Posts
[quote name='paulm64;28907]"What is bad in regards to Apple being first to market with the iPad is that all the other major players are now using the same pricing model for their tablets. "They weren't the first. I've had other tablets from Fujitsu' date=' and others and they all sucked and were expensive. Apple was the first to make something that worked well. It's just that you don't remember the very forgettable predecessors.[/QUOTE'] paul if you think that the fanatical attitude of fans of apple products had nothing to do with the ipads success....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been a linux fan for a while but I do like iPad but the price tag is just ridiculous (for me, i'm not that rich. lol) thats y i'm planning on getting myself a slatedroid.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts