Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm under the impression that 2D/3D acceleration is mostly for games; given the weak CPU and not-very-sensitive g-sensor, the PDN is unlikely to be a great gaming device even with 2.1/2.2 (confession: I've never played a game on the PDN). Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on e.g. hardware assisted decoding of videos? I'm aware of the limit of screen resolution.Needless to say I'm not complaining! I've been admiring on the side line the great work done by the gurus on putting 2.1/2.2 on the PDN. But I've been wondering about this 2D/3D acceleration question and I'm hoping that someone could enlighten me on this.Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
...actually it MIGHT help you out some with video playback too, and it should also speed up the UI animations and things as well since the CPU won't have to do as much work... the mali-200 is a pretty capable mobile GPU, although I believe, not quite up to what's common in most notebooks... e.g. IIRC the PowerVR SGX is actually used on one of the Intel IGPs... useless for games(mostly still), but better than Intel's own garbage GPUs......plus IF it ever gets a full stack, the mali-200 does have some programmable shaders which might be useful for some other things or to someone...

·
Registered
338 Posts
yeah, last time I've heard about programmable shaders in 2D was my experience in hardware de-interlacing/post-processing for satellite HD TV by Windows decoders. If anyone here knows how to use these shaders for that purpose, we can be this close to smooth 720p playback. If there ever will be a trade in ROM's for better 2D (better animation, zero haptic lag, bigger bandwidth of smooth video) for the price of almost no gaming -- as they do in Turbo and non-Turbo variants at Samdroid, I'd go for 2D. The problem is the Dev's in question are either gamers, or looking for compromise (tom3q, DE_NISKA, even LeshaK, to an extent.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.