Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
http://translate.google.com/transla...u=http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/571/571946.shtmlLargely as I'd guessed. Popular models will likely be the 43 & 70. The smaller ones lack adequate screen res. The 101 is an unknown until more specs and pricing are known.Bang-per-buck pricing for the 28 ($100 est) and 32 ($150 est) is poor, relative to other PMPs (they aren't 'tablets'). Let's hope it will be better for the rest of the Gen8 line.

·
Registered
58 Posts
http://translate.google.com/transla...u=http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/571/571946.shtmlLargely as I'd guessed. Popular models will likely be the 43 & 70. The smaller ones lack adequate screen res. The 101 is an unknown until more specs and pricing are known.Bang-per-buck pricing for the 28 ($100 est) and 32 ($150 est) is poor. Let's hope it will be better for the rest of the Gen8 line.One problem already apparent is that these will be at Android 2.1, although supposedly a 2.2 upgrade is "in the works." Other Android tablets released by mainstream competitors will likely be 2.2 at launch, putting these at both a functional and speed disadvantage.Archos will have a unique form-factor with Android in the 4.3" non-phone size, at least until other iPod Touch-type competitors (including Apple of course) announce their own lines later this month. Otherwise, I'm not sanguine about their other models. The smaller 28 & 32 don't have adequate screen res for a browser. The larger 70 & 101 are unknowns; but based on Archos' track record for models of similar sizes, usability and stability are concerns.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Other notes:I'm glad Archos put the kibosh on the 5" model. As the Streak demonstrated, it's a "neither fish nor fowl" size--too big for the pocket, but too small for web browsing or text reading.As I'd guessed, the HDD-models have largely gone the way of the dodo, if the prelim specs are true.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
blazingwolf;48659]Serious? I like the look of both the 70 and the 101. Looks better then the Wits so far.[url=http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/archos-unleashes-five-five-new-android-froyo-tablets-we-go-h/]Archos unleashes five (five!) new Android Froyo tablets said:
Time will tell for sure though.
I see the way you look at those other tablets! :mad:Anyways, they look pretty nice, though (IMHO) the pricing in the middle seems a bit out of whack. I would have liked to see the 7" at $250 or below, but I guess we'll see how they sell. It's nice to see a full-featured, up-to-date 10" at the $300 price point. All the major manufacturers seem to want to sell Android tablets for MORE than the iPad.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not really, no GPS, forgot to look for bluetooth... the only upside is 1GHz(v. 800MHz), 8+GB internal storage + capacitive screen... not worth an $80 or so markup IMO...plus w/Archos' last tablets they weren't very good about upgrading the OS v. witstech getting a stable OS but upgrading versions... still have to go with wits on that one...just been overall underwhelmed by the tablet news out of IFA so far... way too many with 3G and consequent high prices + likely onerous attached mobile plans or even higher prices w/o...about the only extras I really wanted to see were 2M+ cameras and GPS plus maybe bluetooth...Archos 7, yeah if it were $200-225 it MIGHT be more interesting, esp since it looks like they dropped the 5 and didn't add GPS...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the 43 and the 101. Will probably pick up both, the 43 for pocketability and the 101 for in-home use. The 70 is a tweener which would be nicer with a higher res.Good that Archos got rid of the fluff (GPS, compass, DVR, yada yada) and stick to the essentials for tablet use. It kept the price points at reasonable levels.As compared to the Wits or any other no-brand tablet: Sorry, there's no comparison. Pretty much anything is better than sitting around on a forum waiting for the next beta FW to drop, just so you can get basic functionalities working. Anyway, specs-wise, even the tiny Archos 28 has got the Wits beat both in terms of CPU and storage. I see the end of the offshore tablets, unless they can get decent FWs and with dramatically dropped prices.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
GPS in that size of a device does not mean much to me. Bluetooth would be nice but is not mandatory either. Your right about the updating of the Wits device but we will have to wait and see when it comes to updates for the Archos. They have a descent following so if I get updates from users I'm just as satisfied.

·
Registered
576 Posts
blazingwolf;48685 said:
GPS in that size of a device does not mean much to me. Bluetooth would be nice but is not mandatory either. Your right about the updating of the Wits device but we will have to wait and see when it comes to updates for the Archos. They have a descent following so if I get updates from users I'm just as satisfied.
Be nice to have GPS builtin w/google maps. Could just carry a tablet instead of tablet + GPS, besides the screen is already larger(and higher res) than the portable GPS that I use...er H.P. you do realize that they're getting these ARE from China? Probably a Chinese ODM to boot, as the first prices that I saw were in Yuan and most of the info in Chinese.Funny thing is there's a guy over in the mobileread forums who had the exact opposite opinion of Archos v. the witstech... he went to the stores and looked at and played around with Archose tablets, but wasn't impressed... even claimed that the wits build quality "felt" better... so... I'm thinking that Archos at best will remain a niche player, and likely re-branded ODMs will eventually take over, just like they did pretty much everything else except Apple products, but Archos is certainly no Apple. Might give Archos a try if the the streetprice of the 70 (I guess) is quite a bit lower than $280... but likely only after buying a wits or something w/a GPS (preferably a decent camera too).Another problem for Archos though is that DVR was REALLY their toehold niche. Seems like quite a few people @ archosfans forums are a bit miffed by the no DVR, etc. bit...

·
Registered
576 Posts
clockworx;48701 said:
GPS + google maps is kind of useless unless you have 3G or other wifi hotspot functionality. The maps have to come from somewhere.
Fortunately there appear to be several other products available that don't require network access. gmaps was just a quick example that always comes to mind nowadays... The real question would be could I make use of all my Garmin topo maps...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well they certainly got rid of all of their other unique features...anyways found a few GPS aware offline map apps already... looks like one of them I would even be able to use converted Garmin topo maps easily... have to try it some day... (not a big deal ATM as I'm stil tablet w/GPS less)

·
Registered
58 Posts
@cutterjohnThe main difference between the no-names and name-brands is in the firmware development and support. The Wits model has been around for a year (counting the first A81 version that they orphaned), and to date has never had a stable Android version. If you're happy with tooling around with half-baked FW, then the Wits wins hands down, as do most of the other no-name Chinese pads.That, and once this is available, I can pick it up from Amazon, and if it doesn't work, I can return it easily. Try that with the Wits, or again, with any of the offshore no-names. The Archosfans peeps are those who in the fat PMP/DVR niche. The problem is Archos is losing money when it stuck to that niche, so it is becoming more mainstream (read: more competitive price points), even if that means lopping off some esoteric features that a few want. To wit: the 43, which is the replacement for the A5IT, is $50 less for comparable specs (8GB), but with better processor, battery life, and [email protected] is available in the 43 and larger. Don't think it's in the 32, and definitely not in the 28. For specifics, check the specs page on each model on Archos.com.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I currently own a archos 5 16gb that I bought 3 days ago. Im planning on returning it soon and buying the new archos 43 in SEPT.The archos 43 may have a smaller screen but it is perfect!1. Froyo 2.2! Archos 5 will never receive any more updates from archos. Froyo is 10x faster2. Camera, I was going to get the new ipod touch with camera when it came out but I cant waste my time on OS43. Slimmer/thinner/less weight you gotta love it!4. Much much cheaper! Only $200 for 16gb.5. Thank you archos! You gotta rid of useless GPS!6. Still has bluetooth!7. Much faster processor chip! Much smoother games and app running.8. I love the new smaller screen! The archos 5 had a great screen but it was just too big for me.9. NEW gui for music/video playback!10. Still has the same buttons/look as the old archos 5.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Correction: According to its specs page, the A32 does have BT. Only the A28 doesn't have it.Frankly, both the A32 & 28 are a waste of money. The screen size & res are too small for any text display. And as PMPs, there are cheaper buys with larger storage (these have no uSD slot).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.