Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AFter all the reading, and hemming and hawing about various android devices, I believe that the augen gentouch 78 should be my first device. As I do not have access to any Kmarts in Canada, I am wondering if there is anyone who wants to sell me a unit, at "fair market price"
I could do paypal, etc for the transaction.John

·
Registered
23 Posts
I could have sworn there is a business that buys and ships an item for you if you live outside the country. I can't remember what it's called. Basically, what it is is you want something but that company only ships in the continental US so you call up this other company to buy the product for you and then they ship it to you. Anybody know who I'm talking about?Edit.Or you could pay me to do it for you. I only charge an arm and a leg for this service. For you, I'll give you a discount. I'll only charge an arm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all for your suggestions! I live about 12 hours away from any US cities that would have a Kmart, Sears, or Bed, Bath and Beyond, for either the augen or PDN. That is still an option. In the depths of -30 winter, Spokane seems balmy. I will check further with Kmart and Sears, as Canada is not listed as a country that they deliver to. Strange, given free trade. spikey911, and livingenzyme, I may take you up on your offer, although I would find it tough typing with only one arm....

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote name='jakie55;51917]AFter all the reading' date=' and hemming and hawing about various android devices, I believe that the augen gentouch 78 should be my first device. As I do not have access to any Kmarts in Canada, I am wondering if there is anyone who wants to sell me a unit, at "fair market price"[IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/IMG] I could do paypal, etc for the transaction.John[/QUOTE'] Try services like "comgateway.com". You buy it and ship it to your "US address" (a box number at comgateway.com) and then they forward it to your address for shipping plus a small percentage. Very small. Like 1%. If they have to BUY it for you with their credit card cause the US company won't take yours, then they do charge more - about 5%. This isn't usually a problem as long as the shipping address is in the US. comgateway.com have a shipping-forwardiing location in Oregon...which has no sales tax. So all you'll pay is Canadian HST (or whatever it's called now). Comgateway.com is based in Singapore and was originally set up to give people in Malaysia and Singapore access to US goods....but they now ship to anyone, anywhere. Being Singaporean, they are straight-up and honest, unlike some other Asian countries I won't name. I've dealt with them several times and it worked very well. The first purchase there is a credit card verification period (they charge a tiny amount to your card, you then enter that amount on their web site and they know you're not fraudulent). That takes 3-4 days....or less if your bank gives online access to your credit card balance and updates it quickly. There are many services like this, but they are often in US states that charge sales tax. Comgateway.com don't.I bought two x Nexus One phones this way when Google was selling to the US only.....giving my comgateway.com address....and then they, in turn, shipped one to London, Ontario and one to Auckland, New Zealand.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
[quote name='jakie55;52300]Thanks' date=' all for your suggestions! I live about 12 hours away from any US cities that would have a Kmart, Sears, or Bed, Bath and Beyond, for either the augen or PDN. That is still an option. In the depths of -30 winter, Spokane seems balmy. I will check further with Kmart and Sears, as Canada is not listed as a country that they deliver to. Strange, given free trade. spikey911, and livingenzyme, I may take you up on your offer, although I would find it tough typing with only one arm....[/QUOTE'] 12 hours is a long haul. You would have to spend the night in USA then drive back to Canada the next day.

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='jakie55;52300]Thanks' date=' all for your suggestions! I live about 12 hours away from any US cities that would have a Kmart, Sears, or Bed, Bath and Beyond, for either the augen or PDN. That is still an option. In the depths of -30 winter, Spokane seems balmy. I will check further with Kmart and Sears, as Canada is not listed as a country that they deliver to. Strange, given free trade. spikey911, and livingenzyme, I may take you up on your offer, although I would find it tough typing with only one arm....[/QUOTE']There are Sears stores in ON... [EDIT] ...so I assumed that they had them in other provinces as well... [/EDIT]

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are always a few for sale on eBay. You do pay a little more but I would expect that you would compensate whoever you get to buy and ship the thing to you so it should end up about the same.I would suggest that you read the posts on this board and on the net before you get one. Although I am probably going to keep the one I have, and the thing really is cheap, but it's less than ideal for many things and the support is almost non-existent if you want to get anything useful from Augen in a timely manner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How about the Pandigital? Maybe they are available easily in your area? Its just my opinion but I would not spend a lot of effort and money towards the Augen at this point. Seems like the forums are kind of dead and everything seems like its at a standstill for the Gentouch.. Newer products are around the corner as well..

·
Registered
32 Posts
spikey911;52629 said:
... Seems like the forums are kind of dead and everything seems like its at a standstill for the Gentouch...
I've noticed the same thing and have been getting the impression that Augen is trying to let the Gentouch78 die a quiet death so the existing issues "go away", and they don't have to spend any time or money resolving them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
[quote name='stu;52652]I've noticed the same thing and have been getting the impression that Augen is trying to let the Gentouch78 die a quiet death so the existing issues "go away"' date=' and they don't have to spend any time or money resolving them.[/QUOTE']Disagree on this.. They just had a release of what was to be source on Friday, granted it wasnt all there.. but they still are putting out stuff. They have released more then a few updates just in the 30days since the product was out. Also, development has begun on FROYO for the GT78, possibly a CyanogenMod 6 port.... Pandigital has more activity because they are just trying to get a stable 2.1 release doing on, we have that on GT78.. working towards 2.2...CPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
cpg716;52690 said:
Yes. I know. Just saying.. At this point the GT78 is a wel functioning device with the updates and Linckraker's clockwork update.. So focus is on less of the basic stuff right now.CPG
Not to take everything off topic, but while we are on the subject... Do you know if Augen is working on Froyo, or is it the community?If Augen is still working on things, it would give me more confidence in their products for sure.. Wish they would let us know what was in the works..

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Who wants to sell to a Canadian? Not Augen, apparently?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.