Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is a list of my most useful apps installed on my PDN (alternate firmware 8/20) in no particular order. I thoroughly tested them all.

1.) Google Voice (build 0.3). Only this build appears to be working. I had to search for it. The market version would freeze during installation. SMS send/receive, voicemail receive and playback works fast and smooth.
2.) JustPictures. The best picture viewer/slideshow app I found. Works MUCH faster than PDN default photo app.
3.) Draw and Share. Hands down the best drawing/painting app for Android. Works really fast on PDN!
4.) Note Everything. Handwriting option works faster than other apps I tried.
5.) Evernote
6.) Dolphin Browser HD. So far I like this browser the most.
7.) Dropbox
8.) Youtube. Surprisingly, videos play much smoother than mp4s from SD card.
9.) Freedi Downloader. Download videos from youtube as mp4 or mp3. Great little app.
10.) mVideo player. The best performance video player for PDN I found. Downloaded videos from youtube play pretty smooth with this one. I set it as default player.
11.) Kindle. Oddly enough you can't make notes with this one even though there is an option "view notes". Still a must have for readers.
12.) iheartRadio. Love it on my iphone 4 and it works just as well on PDN! Plays in the background. Great for slideshows.
13.) Pandora
14.) WiFi keyboard. The coolest app I have. Use your computer or phone keyboard to type on PDN (I use my iphone to type!) Works every time. Very easy to use.Still looking for perfect music player and working streaming TV apps.I attached a working Google Voice version for those who need it.P.S. After playing with various video encoding settings, I found that I get acceptable video playback for files encoded with mp4 codec (not H.264) and bitrate no more than 1Mbps, 640x480 resolution; frame rate of 24 fps. Audio: 64kbps, 22kHz, stereo; 2 passes. I use this freeware converter: http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

EDIT: After playing with video encoding even more, I now prefer 320x240 with 0.5Mbps, frame rate same as source up to 30fps. It scales up full screen pretty smoothly without stuttering. For widescreen videos I do 480x270. I haven't tried any videos longer than 30 min yet but am working on it.

Edited 3/26/11 (format fixes) Please report any broken links or additional mistakes. Thanks, -MrsB

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
NICE WORK! Awesome you got a working Google Voice. I just gave up and assumed it would look for a microphone and hang. Excellent.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I provided the links I had found in the thread. Not specific for each individual app so you'll have to search those sites.I didn't think of it at the time since I was going to DL and archive for my personal use.For recent DL, I started tracking the info page URL for each app.I also uploaded all the working full-screen games for nchntrman to include in his repository.http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigita...41-my-android-android-package-repository.html

·
Registered
243 Posts
Am I missing something... or is the googlevoice a one way web chat when used with the "PDN" Hear incoming calls only.or does using a "APPLE iPhone" like headset that has a four point plug allow a mic to record and sounds to be heard?:David

·
Registered
243 Posts
11) Kindle. Oddly enough you can't make notes with this one even though there is an option "view notes". Still a must have for readers.I have Version 1.0.0.76480048, and even the Amazon web site state that no note taking or highlighting is supported in the Android Version?12) iheartRadio. Love it on my iphone 4 and it works just as well on PDN! Plays in the background. Great for slideshows.I would like to report that this app also works for me... FYI one of the country stations is broadcasting from Wichita Kansas. "B107.3" ... While I have not tried all the stations is there a movie/music sound track station??Wish I had links for these two:3) Draw and Share. Hands down the best drawing/painting app for Android. Works really fast on PDN!4) Note Everything. Handwriting option works faster than other apps I tried.:David

·
Registered
180 Posts
Are there any good weather widgets that will work on the PDN (without location awareness, which seems to kill most I have tried so far)?

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
The one in Geebekazoo's shared BoxNet depository works, but I'm not sure if that's the version I've got. I'm using version 1.3 which does the trick for me, reads my subscriptions/favorites, plays good. For later, off-line viewing of YouTube vids I use FreeTube which is nearly identical to the YouTube app (but doesn't link to your account) which downloads the vids to your sd card (with a stupid naming protocol I wish you could change) instead of just playing them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DVD2955;61969 said:
Am I missing something... or is the googlevoice a one way web chat when used with the "PDN" Hear incoming calls only.or does using a "APPLE iPhone" like headset that has a four point plug allow a mic to record and sounds to be heard?:David
PDN does not have a mic jack so you can't talk using GV. It doesn't allow you to receive calls either. It lets you send and receive free text messages within USA and Canada and listen to your voicemails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
well I installed that "working" google voice. It installed fine, and loads fine but i'm stuck at signing in. Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having problems with the google voice app. Whenever I try to login it just gives me a error. "We have a problem. Unable to sign in to your Google Voice account" I know that my username and password are correct and I signed up for the google voice account already.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
shobi;61445 said:
20100819 build of Android VNC Viewer works great on the PDN. I'm running Ultra VNC on my laptop and have no problems connecting to it through Android VNC Viewer on my PDN.android-vnc-viewer - Project Hosting on Google Code
How about a VNC server for Android? I would like to be able to control the tablet from the PC (opposite of what you are doing, although I can see uses for that, allowing for "squeezing" PC, partial/zoomed, screen into tablet window).TIA

1 - 20 of 98 Posts