Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which tablet would you purchace at under 150? pandigital or augen gentouch. seems both have plusses and minuses or would you just get a different one altogether? I have no problem with modifying, customizing and tinkering so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Depends on what your looking for. They are very similar as far as capability, and as your said.. both do have issues. One big thing for me, is the Gentouch78 is sold as a tablet, and has appropriate Android OS hardware keys. The PDN is sold as an eReader. Future updates for both will be focused on that.The hacking community however exists on both.. so who knows what both will be capable of. It does seem the Gentouch has sparked more interest from the current Android hacking community. The Gentouch does have hardware Graphics processing, while the Gentouch doesn't. The PDN accelerometer works now, we are unsure of what the Gentouch can do in that regard.So it does come down to many choices. I do think you are more likely to find the PDN right now though, Kmart stores still are spotty with the Gentouch78.CPGp.s. (any guesses who Lawman will pick lol)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Actually, I am still looking (halfassed) for a GT. I think most of the PDN hacks will work on the GT. I am really concerned about what I know of the predecessor tablet to the GT, and really impressed by my experience with the PDN. I do think that in the end the PDN will be limited by its lack of buttons. I wonder if the GT won't be limited because it's a piece of crap. I expect the amount of time both will be relevant to be about the same, as, again, both of these are going to be obsolete in months, if they last that long.If you want a tablet that is a tablet, get a GT and accept your fate. If you want to play with android and show people how you made something do something it shouldnt, get a PDN. In terms of function, both are about the same- they can hack up to the marketplace, they have the same processor, the GT has video acceleration but can't use it, they both run aldiko, kindle, nook, etc... I think that you can get the PDN for about 60% the cost of a GT, and finding a GT is a PITA. I have two PDN's. I gave two away. I wonder whether you can't flash PDN fw onto a GT, but can't check because I can't get one. Other than that, if you want a MAC ID that will work around others with the same device, there's only one choice. If you want a device right now, there's only one choice. If you can't stomach the reviews of the Dawa D7, there's only one choice. If you want a device that is state of the art, you're on the wrong board.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
It has a lot of the same issues as the PDN, including lack of buttons. I looked at it some time ago. The conclusion on engadget was similar to mine:Archos 7 Home Tablet review -- Engadget"The Archos 7 Home Tablet: 'tis really a story of you get what you pay for. We knew that the lack of an accelerometer, capacitive screen and access to the Android Market would be major downers, and, well, they were. Obviously, those things would jack up the price, and though the Archos 7 does some things decently, like play onboard videos and display e-books, for $199 we still wish it did more for the price, or was even cheaper. "... like, maybe $120 with rebates and discounts? Like.... the PDN, which I own two of.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love my Archos 7, Its very snappy compared to the PDN when I had one(first hacked version). But android 1.5 is a HUGE limitation. So far all I know working on it is rogerbaum (1.6) on here for the Apad which will then need to be ported over. That said it's and awesome PMP. Working market and google apps repacked firmware over on forums.archos.com. Great battery.The lack of buttons is not a problem. It has an always on menu bar like the apad with home, volume, back and menu buttons.I just ordered a A81e though because I want the updated ebook readers(nook, kindle, kobo).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did/does the Archos7 get 6 or 7 hours video playback? It says it has 40 hours music playback. Is that so? What battery life does it get with wifi enabled?Do the PDN and GT get any comparable kind of battery life? X10 MID 7 Inch WIFI Ebook Office 1080P GPS H.264 2GB Camera HDMI This has or claims a 6 or 7 hour battery life, but only has Windows CE OS, is there similar specs/ battery life for one of the generic Android MIDS?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lets do a M003 vs M001, I have the M003 but almost had the M001 (bought, cracked screen, returned and upgraded to M003..dealextreme ROCKs!)My List for M003 being better...Full size USB on M003 no adapter required. Wireless mouse, keyboard, hard drives, multiport USB hubs, bluetooth, Ipods, webcams? 3G modems? TV out?, endless opportunities. -800x600 screen resolution. MORE real estate! bigger is better for screen resolution. -Mirrored surface so you can check yourself out. Everyone thinks I got a $500 Ipad. Looks better than all other tablets.-MicroSD slot. This is the universal memory card to own. Get adapter and use same card on all your electronics. I got a 8gb that does 20mb/s speed new for $5.-No Bright annoying LEDs -Picture frame when not in use. Get cheap dish stand as holder. -Can use some Ipad accessories, I had to trim but put an Ipad screen cover on mine.-Road trip movie viewing, use Ipod settings on any transcoding program and put on microSD or USB thumb drive. -Connect audio out to home stereo, mount M003 and it's your audio manager, connect external hard drive and use a music manager. Pandora app is great for online audio listening. What are your PROS for M001 over M003 beside $30 cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.