1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Sell two of these and the profits could pay for your own PDN - I might have to consider this, myself. :) The biggest issue is that the buyer is basically locked into the firmware as they would wipe all the custom apps, and the hack, if they ever upgraded. I assume they'd need to customize it for them in advance or else they'd be doing some email tech support, afterwards.EDIT: The seller already sold one of them for $199, a few days ago.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reiterate:Goofy Tool

·
Registered
576 Posts
I found a better one(well by a little...)http://cgi.ebay.com/PANDIGITAL-Nove...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f3ed0b35but nothing beats one that I saw the other day: starting bid $0.01, shipping price: $184.00 I can't even remember what model it was any longer, but it always annoys me when idiots pull stunts like this...ebay just doesn't seem to be a worthwhile place to look for tablets, excepting one guy I saw with iRobots for $155(obo right) + $17.50 shipping, but I'm guessing that he bought one of those 15pc. lots which makes then work out to c. $100 ea. cost... nice profit margin... c. 66%Eken M001 that I was looking at the other day went for $125 + $15 shipping! [EDIT] I've given up on the cheap nearly useless models and now waiver betwween (PDN Novel OR Rockchip) OR flatpad [/EDIT]

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
saw the one in OP's post earlier, laughed my ass off. A bunch of the ebay ones have have the upc cut and/or are hacked. The one with $200 price tag doesn't surprise me either, new tech goes for about retail on ebay, and the dozen or so sold recently average out to around $170 a pop. I was gona sell my spare there until I broke my first one, would have made the one almost free, and I didn't even do the rebate. If anyone is familiar with open pandora gaming handheld, some of the first people to get there's and put up on ebay got a 2, 3 even 4 times return on investment if memory serves (still haven't gotten mine)

·
Registered
576 Posts
ns! They actually managed to ship some? But they may as well give up by now, the current Dingoos are almost as good and if they really follow through with the new models Pandora hasn't a prayer...Thinking about tossing my Newton Messagepad 2100(carrying case/keyboard/ADB dongle/PCMCIA ethernet/some linear flash cards forget size offhand/carger/AA battery tray/no rechargeable though be dead by now anyways/no box) which I haven't touched in years to help finance the flatpad... watching one on ebay @ c. $135(w/keyboard only IIRC) ATM and still several days of auction left...
(going to try avoiding doing so though as I know that I'll regret it the instant that it's gone...)Yeah, I specifically asked some of the ebayers about the UPC on the ones that they had up the other week. The only guy to respond claimed they were still there. One listing admitted to the removal(and why) in the desc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I purchased two PDNs and sold the second one and made enough money that not only was my PDN completely free but I also made an extra $25 or so on the deal. I actually think it's pretty smart to root the device yourself and sell it prehacked at a premium...I ran into someone at Kohl's this morning returning her Novel because she didn't like it as much as she did her Kindle, and I offered her the exact amount she paid on the receipt for the device (She got it for $113 after tax) but I assume she thought I was trying to scam her or something and continued to return the device to customer service. All of my local stores are sold out of the device, and I have a few friends who would easily pay $200+ for a 7 inch Android tablet that's not running Donut and that is sold by an American company. As a matter of fact, I'm actually already becoming bored with my Novel and at this point I would almost rather have the money it's worth rather than keep it around. As much functionality as it has and what it's capable of, I could spend a few more dollars and buy a used tablet laptop with a larger screen and substantially more power such as this Turion X2 tablet I'm eyeballing at the moment with 3GB of DDR2 and a 200GB HD. For the time being I'm gonna play with the PDN a little bit more, but the only reason I even purchased the device in the first place was to get a taste of what Android is really like. Now that I know, I'm not nearly as interested in it any longer...it's great for a phone OS, but that's all I'll ever see Android as. For all of my uses it would be much more handy if it was running a normal version of Windows. When I do decide I'm going to sell my first PDN, I'm going to hack it, root it, and put a whole bunch of flashy programs like Pandora and the Kindle application on it and then sell it for right at $200. At this point any amount I sell the PDN at is pure profit.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You've got a point, there with the nutso ebay auctions. I should go check out if any of the BBBs or Kohls here have any in stock before getting too excited though... save my newton at least... unless that newton auction also goes nuts which it might do given the price now with days left... *runs off to put PDN auctions back in his watch list*(if this works out, it might be my ticket to a "free" flatpad plus whatever other tablets I might like...
)I just mainly want one because in the summer my beastly nb(effectivel a desktop replacer MSI GT725) is uncomfortably warm outdoors and I like to take advantage of warmer summer weather to read email and some light web browsing outdoors int he morning, and figured a tablet would be just the ticket to relative comfort being good enough to send short responses to emails requiring immediate attention, and just getting the rest out of the way while also being check various news/tech/etc. sites. Well I might also use it for ebooks after dark as my lightless eInk reader is kind of useless w/o light(USB lights suck and it's not always practical to have other lights around).As to interest beyond that, I've always been a fan of PDAs which is what I really consider these to be anyways and understand the limitations, so it'll go into my Palm IIIx(w/TRG XTRA XTRA PRO mem exp), Handspring Prism, Sony Clie, VTECH Helio, Compaq iPaqCrap (had pico X11 & linux running on it but it ate batteries literally), Newton, Agenda VR3, etc. collection although I expect it to be useful as above plus being able to do other things. (I got ALOT of various uses out of my IIIx & Newton, my two favorites... but they haven't aged well...)[EDIT]I would've said what these tablets really need are some better CPUs, but w/Cortex A8s starting to come out & possibly, the Telechips (plus other support chips) that might fix that department.Now they need to work on adding more DRAM. I see more of the newer(Cortex & Telechips) coming with 256MB which is nice, but I'd rather have seen 512MB.As to the OS can't say anything as I haven't bothered to install the SDK + emu yet(as I'm not sure what I'll end up with and don't want alot of useless baggage hanging around) and, obviously, have not acquired a real tablet yet either. Almost wish that they'd spend a little more and use a SODIMM for the RAM...[/EDIT]

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
@bmurphr1 - I would not want a larger screen. I played around with an Eken M003 for a week and the form factor is too large to be comfortable and that is only an 8" screen. The Pandigital Novel I can hold with one hand. Any larger and you have to hold it with both hands. I think the Novel is the perfect size for this type of device. And for the money, after hacking it, you cannot beat it for the power and functionality. The Eken was much slower and pokey compared to the PDN. I think the PDN is a great device, especially when you can get it for just over $100.00 after rebate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Absolutely agreed...right now for the most part it's just about demand. Android tablets are about to become wildfire here in the USA, as evidenced by the plentiful tablets announced to start rolling out here within the next few months (I usually get my news from Engadget and they're on there all the time). Right now pretty much the only Android tablet you can get in America is going to be an Archos, and even those are selling at $250+, except if you're lucky to get one from Amazon at the $199 price while they're in stock. I have always been a big fan of the PDA/tablet device market, and I find myself constantly wanting something different to play around with, but if I'm honest with myself I know there's really no tablet available today or even future device that just can't accomplish what I can do with a tablet laptop. It basically took me up until this past week to figure out really just how 'niche' the non-laptop tablet market really is. As awesome and fun to play around with as the iPad is, there's no real "need" for it...only desires. Really they are just around to make life a lot easier, and especially considering just how quaint the hardware is in the iPad I could never justify paying $500+ on such a device. Just referring to my daily uses, I could probably do a whole lot more with something like the new Eee tablet netbook that just came out...even if it does only have a shitty Intel Atom CPU.I'm also not completely sold on Android running on these tablets...it still feels like a phone OS to me. I believe the tablets that are due to be released that will be running Windows Embedded Compact 7 will be a whole lot more intuitive than the Android platform and I might be tempted to look at one in the future. As it stands now though, I'm planning on selling my last PDN and investing in a tablet lappy for school and such.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
The cortex A8 tablets would be just fine IF they came with some additional DRAM. I'm almost hoping that Iprocrastinate long enough that 512MB is the norm byt he time I buy...I find 3G to be a useless added expense in a tablet for me, as 99.999% of the time I'll be somewhere where there's WiFi there or nearby, and for the remainder, well I'm sure that I can find WiFi or make do for a while.I'd rather have a builtin GPS receiver than 3G.Size: yeah I'm thinking that I'd prefer a 7" or maybe 5" form factor myself, more like my PRS-505 or the old PDAs.In the end I think that Android will be turned into a perfectly workablet tablet OS + GUI. From the videos it already looks pretty close although IMO suffering from too googlecrufty apps. Should also be possible to either do linux installs or your own Android updates so long as source for touchscreen, WiFi and a couple other pieces of firmware is available or a kernel compatible module binary. After all nVidia & AMD both release binary X drivers for distros, so I don't see why some other firmware vendors might not start doing that or OSS drivers are developed which would happen for the more popular pieces of firmware or even obscure pieces of firmware that some company wants to use but keep updated system software. But mostly it'll be the common commodity pieces...Did we ever thank lawman for sparking the entrepreneurial idea of hacking & re-selling PDNs for profits? Even before that was brought up I was thinking too bad I didn't know more trustworthy Chinese suppliers for wholesale and start selling in larger amount here already. Well that, and having enough cash onhand to make a viable start.Back to another tablet wanting point for me... It was 91F/75% rel. hum. a few hours ago here, then we had some HEAVY T-storms, temps dropped to 79F and it felt like a nice cool breeze, so I got this bright idea to take a late day coffee(skipped this morning), of course by the time I get out here, now it's back to about 85F or so (and climbing) and 83% rel. humidity so I sit here trying to pretend like this is great meanwhile I'm sweating like the proverbial pig, and my legs are worse where the nb sits so I'm about to call it quits... a handheld tablet would certainly alleviate the leg/lap discomfiture... while mostly allowing me to do the same things...(Messagepad & DS lite(w/dslinux) are just too slow for me to even pretend like they're useful for this purpose... also tried RSS and custom web page downloads -> epub(courtesy of calibre) -> PRS-505 but I just find too many things that I'd like to/need to lookup online... otherwise it'd work well... had the same problem with the IIIx when I used sitescooper & plukr but I soldiered through back then as the only other alternative was a nb, again with the same warm weather discomfitures...)

·
Registered
666 Posts
My biggest question is.. how he hacked it from inside the New and Factory Sealed Box. Lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='nchntrman;22745]My biggest question is.. how he hacked it from inside the New and Factory Sealed Box. Lol[/QUOTE]He also says: "No UPC on box." so the little bastard also sent for the rebate.I don't believe that he states that any of those extra apps are actually installed' date=' possibly just showing that they can be. Yep, further quoting the line above the pictured apps:"the following pics of my personal unit demonstrate the amazing potential of this Novel"hahaha, just noticed $20 shipping on top of his sky high price... when it could be about $7 from USPS. I really hate these sellers that try to pad their profits with inflated shipping rates, but not as much as the ones who list super low starting bid with astronomical shipping costs like that one I saw the other day $0.01 starting bid, $184 shipping... what a tool.[EDIT'] The one that I posted is at least offering free shipping, and is pushing the scarcity(?) of the PDN... that may be true in his region, but I'm sure there are still plenty of units in various other regions...Sent my star lister a question about the UPC and maybe a dated receipt for the poor purchaser... snicker probably no receipt or they'll see just how they got screwed...[/EDIT]

·
Registered
143 Posts
None of the above is as bad as what this fucker is doing:http://cgi.ebay.com/UNLOCK-Pandigit...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d3a2193He thinks he can get $10 for sending people a copy of Nate's zip file and the instructions on how to hack it. That's desperation at its finest...it must be some 14 year old too lazy to go outside in the heat and mow a few yards.If somebody wanted to spend a few cents, they could easily post an eBay auction titled "DON'T PAY FOR PANDIGITAL NOVEL HACKS...FREE INFO FREE AT SLATEDROID!" or something to that effect and stop this toolbag from selling Nate's work, unless it's actually Nate selling the information.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
[quote name='bmurphr1;22826]None of the above is as bad as what this fucker is doing:[URL]http://cgi.ebay.com/UNLOCK-Pandigital-Novel-Android-Kindle-App-Youtube-etc-/130413109651?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d3a2193[/URL]He thinks he can get $10 for sending people a copy of Nate's zip file and the instructions on how to hack it. That's desperation at its finest...it must be some 14 year old too lazy to go outside in the heat and mow a few yards.If somebody wanted to spend a few cents' date=' they could easily post an eBay auction titled "DON'T PAY FOR PANDIGITAL NOVEL HACKS...FREE INFO FREE AT SLATEDROID!" or something to that effect and stop this toolbag from selling Nate's work, unless it's actually Nate selling the information.[/QUOTE'] But you get 48 hours of email support!I would almost like to win this auction just to screw with the seller. "OK, I ran the updates and now I get <insert random error here>""Now my iTunes crashes and I keep getting USB errors every time I try to connect my iPod - what did this update do to my PC????""I have a Windows ME computer, what do you mean you won't support it -- you said WINDOWS in your auction!!"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.