Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've just get mine m001 and now the question - which firmware should I use? :)What I need - just a better response and speed, and less crappy apps from China. Besides this I will use Google Maps, www explorer, some picture browser, FBReader for ebooks, Documents 2 Go and something to play mp3's. I found that some options in settings I have in chinese, do the new firmware will fix it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I want to do many of the same things, though I would occasionally like to watch a video, though i'll have to upgrade the battery for that. As far as I can tell, there are three main optionsEKEN 1.7.2 (or 1.7.4 released as well)Ecotox 1.0Slatedroid 1.2There are more options, but these are the most mature.for docs, I know the Ecotox 1.0 includes it. In any case, you can backup/keep your original (just backup the sys and system folders to an SD card to move them to your PC.)I think the ECO and SlateDroid are a bit less Chinese, but i'll let you know.I did read somewhere that the slatedroid is a bit faster than the ecotox, but that was before ecotox 1.0 came out.I'm going to try both to see which i like. If I am ambitious, I will do a comparison review.Update 2:First impressions : Slatedroid 1.2:home screen is nicernot as many preinstalled appsdefinitely faster - certainly better than the stock 1.7.2chinese stuff looks like it has all been removed.I occasionally have to force close some acore thing. not sure what that's about, but it appears to recover fine.ECOTOX v1.0:I like this one a tad more than Slatedroid. Youtube is working, but the quality is terrible.The SlideME App installer is broken on all three roms I tested today.Installed Google Listen, but it couldn't play long podcasts well.it looks like both are likely to get updated to be based on 1.7.4, so more to come. 1.7.4 looks like a good improvement, so if the same tweaks can be made as in the 1.7.2 environments, the device will be even better yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My unit was very Chinese when I got it. I managed to toast it the first day by uninstalling one of the Chinese IM apps, so went looking for new firmware. I loaded Ecotox 1.0 and am pleased with it, although performance could be better (I have one of the 600MHz cpus with a whopping 128MB ram). The main thing is that it is free from crappy Chinese apps.Does anyone know if Android 2.x will be ported to M001 ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi there.I upgraded my unit from Eken 1.9.0 to Vestinious 1.2.2 first - big bargain in matters of responsiveness, plus all the chinese crapware removed. And, quite important to me, Vestinious FW is rooted, so you get full control of your unit. I would recommend Vestinious to others, its much better than the original FW.Later I installed Relax 1.9.7, which I still use - and its even faster than Vestinious, see my benchmark here: http://www.slatedroid.com/eken-m001-android-tablet-discussion/5875-benchmarking-different-firmwares-eken-m00.html. I think both of these two Firmwares are alright, and a big advantage compared to the original FW. And they are both rooted. Looking at the benchmark, I believe all recent FWs are performing well, and it is a matter of personal taste which one you like best.Hope this helpsgreetz, PADMAN

·
Registered
27 Posts
I flashed my M001 clone with "Relax-1.9.7" and it's much MUCH better than the original rom...My only problem NOW is that 128mb is not enough ram for the apps I've installed / want to install!I have a working 256mb swap partition on a 16gb sd card, but can't find any way to install apps to run from the sd card

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.