Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered one, gonna receive it in a couple of weeks i guess. I already have a HTC Hero, so I'm familiar with Android, rooting, custom ROMs, apk and all that.I have looked around and noticed there are a couple of custom ROMs, based on the official update. But i have not found any good comparisons between those. I'm looking for a ROM that can provide the following, in order of importance:- Improved Speed- Android Market- Root- Increased battery life- Pre-overclocked- Included HTC-widgetsWhich ROM matches my criteria? Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Android Market doesn't really work on the M001 yet. Some can get it to work half the time but there's a convoluted process of cancelling downloads, cleaning out the data cache in multiple google apps, then restarting. I tried it once, gave up and re-flashed my slate. I am using the Eken release 1.7.4 because it's complete, although fat and slower than the Slatedroid version. Youtube doesn't work on the Slatedroid version and it's stripped to a "bare bones" basic platform, but it is lightning fast. Your choice...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could sacrifice some programs if that would increase speed. Is this the Slatedroid you are using? Does the market work in that one?I am really just going to use the M001 as an Ebookreader(Kindle), Internetbrowser, Spotify and perhaps some modding and hacking. If i can get that functionality in a lightning fast package, i would be very happy. Which ROM is right for me?

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's the slatedroid I tried - it's in the downloads section of the site. I got a little frustrated because of some apps that had been stripped - but then again, maybe that's why it's super fast. I am now running the Eken official 1.7.4 that's also in the downloads section. Again, Market is not 100% on any flash and you will spend hours wasting your time on it trying to get it to work. There are countless posts about this.

G

·
- Speed is increased over stock- Android Market works but you have to just through hoops for every download (just copy over APK from your HTC Hero)- It can be rooted- It claims better battery life but I'm not seeing it- These devices are already overclocked from 300Mhz~ to 350Mhz~ CPU- Nothing includes the HTC widgets, again copy them over yourself

·
Registered
27 Posts
[quote name='khaffner;16565]Is the Slatedroid 1.3 a fast ROM that fully supports Kindle' date=' Internetbrowsing and Spotify, yes or no?[/QUOTE'] Is it fast - yesKindle - yesInternet Browsing - yesSpotify - don't know this app

·
Registered
144 Posts
Haven't seen anyone mention the Ecotox 1.1.1.firmware. I've been using it for over a week, and like it very much. No problems at all, and much better performance. Feels solid. It is rooted, has a smaller memory footprint, the battery lasts 2.5 hours with wifi on, and about 5 hours in airplane mode (on mine). I'm not sure how that compares with stock -- mine was 1.7.2 out of the box. My understanding is that Ekens are overclocked from 300 to 350 Mhz out of the box. No one has managed an additional overclock through software yet, to my knowledge.Don't know what HTC widgets are. I am able to download Market software fairly consistently if I follow the data and cache clearing methods mentioned elsewhere. By the way, for those unable to do so, you may have to open up the ports on your router to succeed, depending on your firewall settings, since that may be blocking whatever odd protocol(s) Google uses for verification, etc. -- not the Eken's fault or its software's fault really.

·
Registered
212 Posts
[quote name='jsmith;16280] Youtube doesn't work on the Slatedroid version and it's stripped to a "bare bones" basic platform' date=' but it is lightning fast. Your choice...[/QUOTE']YouTube does work on Slatedroid v1.3 if you do the fix described in the Slatedroid thread. They left a file out or something. Just add it and YouTube works fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am on ecotox 1.1.1 based on previous poster's recommendation. i can't tell a difference speed-wise from the official eken release, but if there is a battery consumption improvement, it's worth it. the youtube in it is the version that plays in a smaller screen unlike the official release that does full-screen if anyone cares about that. there are other features i haven't tried that look very interesting, will report back.

·
Registered
212 Posts
[UPDATE 16/7/2010: I've enabled swap on ECOTOX v1.1.1 and the system now has 195MB or memory available (including the 93MB virtual memory in the swap file). This make ECOTOX even faster and more responsive. ECOTOX + swap enabled + Home++ UI *has* to be the fastest, most funtional Android setup for the M001. Swapping back from the browser to the Home screen now takes barely a second instead of the up to 10 seconds it took on Official or Slatedroid firmware.]I used Slatedroid v1.3 for a week or so, then tried ECOTOX v1.1.1 (with Home++). I prefer ECOTOX. For one thing, it's rooted already. No extra steps after updating the M001. The Android Market doesn't work any better or worse than any other firmware. I now just email the apps from my Android phone to the M001 and install them. Easy. Simple. ECOTOX is faster than Slatedroid. No doubt about that in my view. *Much* more responsive, especially when switching between tasks or from the browser back to Home. Plus the Home++ UI seems to be ideally suited for the M001. Simple, functional with some very nice one-touch extras, like App tray, Task Manager, Bookmarks and Notifications.ECOTOX seems to contain more "phone" code (AOSP, sez the blurb) than any other M001 firmware. This code seems to be faster.....Maybe others can share their view on relative speeds.As noted above, the YouTube is different. It looks like the one from an Android v1.6 phone rather than the YouTube included with the Eken M001. The M001 doesn't really have the grunt to render HQ video. Try playing an mp4 video file and see what I mean. You get the sound, but no video for anywhere up to a minute, then you get a few seconds of video....and it stops again until the next time it tries to catch up. MP4s are unwatchable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will stay on Ecotox 1.1.1 until something better shows up. I am using the Helix Launcher which allegedly has some kind of power saving advantage to it. I feel this FW is zippier than Slatedroid, after using it for some time now. Also pretty stable all things considered. I'm going to try Rockplayer on it to see if it can play some of my otherwise unplayable vids. I had discovered that only 3gp's will play reasonably well. I used to play a lot of mp4's on my Ipod Touch, and hope to do it on the M001.

·
Registered
212 Posts
jsmith: Try enabling swap on your M001. It will be even more responsive. To see if swap is already enabled, open a terminal ("Better Terminal" app) and type "free" and press enter. ECOTOX will swap, by default to /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 if such a partition exists. I didn't have it. Mine needed to have the usrinit.sh changed to "mmcblk0p1" as the swap partition was the first on the sdcard...and then swap became active. That gave me 195MB total memory, including 93MB on the sdcard. Overall, this works much better, despite the price paid by reading / writing memory to the sdcard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
updated to the slatedroid 1.3 and found it is working well. also found a 2 gig cache of android apps in 16 rar files on rapidshare... includes a youtube replacement that works when you switch to normal viewing mode under menu more.problems:power switch does not turn screen off any more.Screen does not time out, stays lit past time out settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using the ecotox rom on my m001. Even though it's 1.7.2 instead of 1.7.4, I find it to be much faster than the other roms for most things. The keyboard and swipe response are better. Kindle app, gmail, and some web browsing is most of what I use it for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
[quote name='linuxluver;18521]jsmith: Try enabling swap on your M001. It will be even more responsive. To see if swap is already enabled' date=' open a terminal ("Better Terminal" app) and type "free" and press enter. ECOTOX will swap, by default to /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 if such a partition exists. I didn't have it. Mine needed to have the usrinit.sh changed to "mmcblk0p1" as the swap partition was the first on the sdcard...and then swap became active. That gave me 195MB total memory, including 93MB on the sdcard. Overall, this works much better, despite the price paid by reading / writing memory to the sdcard.[/QUOTE'] can you provide a step by step? i only know how to add or increase swap on much bigger boxes. this will be great!TIA

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.