Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
really n00b question here, but I was wondering: Why people really want to port 1.6 to aPad? What exaclty are the benefits (besides of course the update core from OS, etc)? Another thing is: Since we have the source, why is so hard to port it? I know it takes time (LOTS) and effort but isnt possible to at least do a dirty direct port?PS: Do not want to be rude here, just curious why its not "just" possible to run 2.1 / 1.6 in the aPad ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, it actually is possible to run 1.6 or 2.1 on the aPad with the plain sources from Google. At least to an extend. If you look around at these forums you'll see some people are actually succeeding in getting it sort of running. The problem (in a nutshell) lies in the hardware specific code/drivers. To make full use of for instance the hardware accelerated video playback capabilities of the Rockchip DSP, we need the sources from Rockchip. Now officially they are supposed to release the source for that when asked for (GPL license) but apparently they just won't, or we can't reach them properly for whatever reason. (probably because they don't want to bother).Why we want to upgrade? Several reasons I guess, besides what you already mentioned.- 1.6 opens up an whole new set of applications that simply aren't available for 1.5. Like the Kindle Reader or Google Maps Navigation. (the latter is useless on the aPad I know, it's just an example of well know software that only runs on 1.6 or higher)- More features, better stability, faster probably... Actually it's the same reasons why we ever stepped up from using Windows 3.11 to Win95. (hmm, I'm getting old, maybe the upgrade from Vista to 7 makes more sense, depending on the readers age
)It is supposed to be better (your mileage may vary, ask MicroSoft ;) )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer! Besides the DSP video accelerated hardware, what else (drivers) is needed for Android 1.6 / 2.1 for exemple? I mean, only the DSP driver is closed-source for now right? Or do we need drivers for everything from touchscreens to usb host etc?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rockchip are holding off because they are probably tied into a deal with the likes of Archos and possibly others. Maybe they fear that IF we get the source and get it to run better on a "cheaper" device peeps will stop buying the expensive "branded" tech.Kinda makes sense in a way. But open source is supposed to be open source. They aint the half eaten Fruity one, but they sure are acting like it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.