Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see a similar thread so I figured I would start one. What I would like here is for everyone here to briefly say a few things which they would say to PanDigital about their experience with the Novel. As a community of hackers, modders, and even n00bs we all come here to enhance our Pandigital Novel experience, thank you slatedroid and all peeps associated for facilitating this community. But also we represent a different section of consumer than the intended one (eBook readers); however en-mass we probably represent a sizable percentage of their customer base. Awhile back when I saw the post about emailing PanDigital for the source code, and I thought maybe first, we should email them a group form letter stating how the Novel has "touched" the geek in you. Something explaining the enjoyment you have received in modding, hacking, unlocking, whatever term is your flavor. The challanges(?) you experienced and the satisfactions resulting. Now I'm not saying everyone feels this way but I'm sure there are some of you like me out there. Truely I haven't had this much fun since the early days of flashing MotorolaRAZR and tweaking my Nokia n770 internet tablet (something mentioned by another post here as well). To set the mood, I'm primarily looking for positive experiences, something that can be combined into a form letter we all agree to, or even a short quote testimonial style list. Most importantly we put a lot of names on it and sent it to them as one email (link here?) once. In my experience this will go viral inside the company much more easily than 50-100 emails. It would also have a more personal feel.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I love my device, don't get me wrong. But, as far as Pandigital is concerned, I'm not feeling the love yet.What I'd like to say to them (if they'd listen) is that, if they went smart, they should take this small window of opportunity and keep it alive as long as they can. Open up the source code so that developers can get them to 2.1 or 2.2, improve the video playback etc. and make this device even better than it already is. This market is going to change drastically in the next few months and, if they sit on this opportunity now, it's going to be gone very soon.And stop replying to my emails with your canned responses because it insults my intelligence. :-(EDIT: That was my rant. Here's the one for your form letter:What a wonderful device for the price. I know that you hadn't planned on consumers using it as a tablet, but because it works so well it has created a small but loyal following so far. What could make this even better is if the source code could be released, so that this userbase could improve on an already fine product before the onslaught of Android devices permeates the market. You have a golden opportunity to take the lead in this, before that happens (ie. the Gentouch attempted this, but failed). It could go viral via word of mouth and potentially exceed your expectations of the device.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roebeet;30525 said:
.... It could go viral via word of mouth and potentially exceed your expectations of the device.
and maybe exceed their inventory... ;)On another note.. I had an absolutely wonderful customer experience with them yesterday. They promised a call back in 48 hours, took them three. The results of my experience rank them tops.. along with TiVo Customer Service and Apple, well the good parts of the Apple ;) Once everything is resolved (read ticket closed) I will post more detailed information.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great idea for a thread.What I'd like to say to them is that as mentioned above, they have a small window to achieve greatness.At the minute they are pretty much the only game in town with the form factor of 800 x 600 colour screen. Everything else is 800 x 480. That will change with the Cruz. The Cruz is a bit more expensive and is a bit of an unknown quantity with regards to performance and being locked down or not. If it is open and they make the source code available, the Android community will flock to it. Cruz will get the Kudos both as a tablet and as a forward looking company. Win the hearts and minds of people and you win their wallets as well.No-one would compare a PDN to an iPad, but make it fast, functional, open, cheaper than the iPad and they will sell by the bucketload and shut out the competition. The PDN is almost there. It wouldn't take much to make people look at it instead of things like the Augen and Chinese alternatives.The tablet scene is changing every day. New tablets, more functions (camera, HMDI etc) and faster processors and more ram are on the horizon. Years ago people carried a phone, a camera, a PDA and surfed the internet at home. Now an iphone does it all. I'm sure Apple have considered and will probably release a 7 inch iPad with camera, face time etc etc. The novel will be a fading memory. However, I would expect Pandigital to be looking to the future with more offerings rather than this being it then no more. They have the distribution channels, the track record with photo frames and what seems to be a good support system. The Novel is a pretty good first start at a great price point.Take the chance guys, give the clever boys here the source code and reap the benefits.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good discussion...if I had anything to say to Pandigital, it would be "Nice try, but work on it and give me a call." It's a great device, and yes also the very first American Android tablet, but Pandigital's software department has really disappointed me as far as their interface goes and all of the problems they've had over the past few months. From pulling all of their stock because of WiFi problems, to the inconsistent customer support phone conversations, they have not made me a happy camper which is why I don't own any more of their products. They haven't been the worst company I have ever had to deal with by a long shot, but they had a great product that could have been so much better if they had taken more time to smooth out the rough edges and better educated their customer service departments with the knowledge they require. All of this is what led me to sell my Novels (and the fact that there are better products on the way for the same amount of money), but mainly it's Pandigital's own company that did me in and not the hardware itself.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
I would say working for a support company don't judge a company by the support . I have people that have been working with us for 3 years that still cant do the simplest thing. if you get that person on the phone you will hate our company. but overall look at PD they pulled the device when the saw the overall problem and fixed it. They could have sat back and let ppl just keep buying it and complaining about it . We are looking at a company that decided to step out of there comfort zone making digital frames and made tablet . and overall not a bad one for a 1st attempt.and between you and me I contacted Velocity and they haven't been to friendly either

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can understand how the company could be having a rough start, but these days their customer base (i.e. me) are pretty unruly and become angry when we have to deal with their problems, and can be pretty unforgiving. I haven't vowed to never buy another Pandigital product again, but I am taking a break and giving Pandigital time to work out all of their kinks and problems before I decide to invest any more money in their products in the future. I never expected them to have an Apple-like company, but I'm hope they become more Apple-like in the long run.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
also just because we are all having a nice friendly chat ( lets keep it that way
I think that for most users that are not us, it probably makes a darn good e-reader for the mainstream user, although I have heard complaints that it is heavy for long usebut in fairness I was at the Nook counter when I heard it

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have it on good information that the source code will be out within the month, and that we may have our very own Pandigital PR rep to talk to soon. Shhhh. Start thinking about what you would say to Pandigital for real.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have to add that I agree with Murph. Just look at the iPad. Really a first and created a whole new market. It is expensive and out of the box pretty much useless, but Apple got it right first time. Couple of cheap apps and games etc and it is a crackin piece of kit. Bit big and no camera and too bloody expensive which is why I sold mine, but Apple showed everyone the road and even at a very high price for what it does they can't make them fast enough.Pandigital had the chance and maybe still have but the door is closing, to make something that gave people the colour reader, email, surf and app experience which was functionally similar but at a far cheaper price. Unfortunately they blew it at the beginning and are still struggling to get it right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What would I say to Pandigital? That version 2 of this device needs to be faster, a bit more snap moving from application to application. I understand it's basically an ebook reader, but out of the box they did deliver it as an email reader and web surfer device as well. A bit more snap, faster CPU.I would also tell them well done on the build quality, no complaints. It does not feel like junk. One think I like about apple, almost everything of theirs feels like high quality when you touch it. The PDN is a bit heavy but feels like decent quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an Archos 5 which is great for carting around, and they have a nice apps lib. The novel I got because it was bigger for reading. It would be nice if it could load and run apps too. I have installed the button hack and have an alternate interface (thanks guys!). The problems with the wireless isn't unique to Pandigital, my Archos 5 is a bit flakey in the wireless department and the symptoms are about the same, so it could be more of an Android problem. I think Android is the future though. I like that it sits on Linux and seems to have an open attitude. To Pandigital I would say, support the hackers, this is a nice market and if the novel could do apps of the users choosing it would have a leg up on the other readers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd say give us the source (like they are supposed to do) and let us show them what their baby can really do. Free beta testing and support for them, more sales and a better end product for us. everybody wins.of course, this being the real world, that will never happen.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
It will happen before the end of August. I'm pretty sure of it. That said, email them and ask for it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Way to hit the mark guys.
As far as people who think the GPL for Linux means anything based onLinux must have all source code available, I dont think it says that. I think that anything that they use off the shelf or that is open source they are supposed to make available. As far as anything custrom that they do, write, program develop source for, they do not. I think alot of people have the misconception that if its based on Linux they have to tell us everything, I dont believe that is the way the GPL is worded.Did TomTom have to release their source code? Did Nokia have to with their Internet tablets? If PanDigital did make the source available, how many aPads (china pads) or the like would be produced using the sweat and gears of PanDigitals Dev team? Also I wasnt going anywhere near the Firmware Source issue with my OP, I was merely doing a call out for people who wanted to thank PanDigital for making the device. I know some people have had problem, I am one who has not. Later today I will be getting a second PDN, I am that satisfied with my experience.Can I assume that the some of the frustration associated with the Firmware Source spawns from the fact that we are getting close to achieving all the mods we can do sans firmware source? Thus as people are trying to step up to the next level of modding, they are finding that they are limited until the Source is available.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would tell them that they should view this subversion of their original intent of the Novel as both a learning and marketing experience. Release the source code, get us a dedicated rep on this board, and let us push the heck out of the hardware. Now, take all this knowledge and feedback and create an actual Android Tablet that is designed to be a full function tablet and not just a hackable eReader with a faster processor and possibly a capacitive touch screen, but ditch the capacitive screen if it pushes the MSRP above $250. A $250 MSRP will mean that we should see it street priced around that of the Novel, although they might be able to get away with a slightly higher price if they had a really sweet processor in there. If so, they could probably get a $25-50 increase in the MSRP. A capacitive screen is probably going to add $100-200 to the cost of the unit, and I don't think enough people are ready to spend that kind of money on a tablet, and those who are will get an iPad. Pandigital is an accidental computer company. They have stumbled upon a ripe market with 80% of the device needed to fully capitalize on it. So act now and get a real tablet out FAST! Don't miss this window of opportunity that you accidentally opened for yourself. You have the beginnings of a real following here. Capitalize on it and you can seriously increase the scope of your company and grow in new and unexpected ways. Your investors and stockholders will be ecstatic if you get this right.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.