Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All This is Raz from MP4 Nation, i am putting together a special ROM Cook off challange for the MIDnite, but before i do i want to know what you would like to see in a custom rom, i would put these recommendations as part of the rom challenge.Looking forward to your feedbackRazMP4 Nation Online MP4 Player Store

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Full MarketRootedBuetooth mods- so it connects to bluetooth keyboard/mouseblack theme like turtlehazards plus othersgps software3G modem support (i dont use them but others do)I'm sure others will have more to add to thischeers and thanks for taking the time to post this request in here

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the best thing anyone could do would be to get the kernel sources from wits themselves - then we could do a direct port of cyanogenmod. As a reseller, do you think you could contact the manufacturer or the firmware developer and see if they are willing to open the kernel source?Of course, with their linux kernel being under the GPLv2, it's a matter of copyright law that they *have* to release their custom kernel, but I doubt they are very worried about intellectual property law.That said, I have only used android for 2 weeks but here's what I'd like to see:
  • Make the 'hold home button for recent apps' function more usable - right now it requires split-second timing to bring up the window and not have it disappear. Also, in addition to listing the 8 recent apps it could also show a set of user-selectable functions that are constant (i.e. 8 recent apps on top, 8 user options on bottom). If I could rotate the screen just by holding or double-tapping the home key and hitting a rotate app, I'd be incredibly happy.
  • A better keyboard. Having to keep flipping between letters and numbers/punctuation is annoying.
  • Get rid of phone functionality! There's a useless signal strength bar in the top notification area, and the dockbar has a phone dialer in it.. what a waste of space!
  • Make the dockbar customizable - right now it has browser, apps and phone dialer, why not let us put anything we like there?
  • Use the hardware buttons as hotkeys - if you press say 'back' and 'settings' at the same time, the next time you press one of the 3 buttons it performs a custom action.
  • An informational widget on the home screen - list of open apps, memory used, wifi network/gps signal strength, that kind of thing.
  • File sharing between android and windows.. I suppose there are already apps for this.
I've been meaning to start android programming for a while, I guess I could actually start with some of these..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Make the WITS A81 exactly like the Motorola Droid performance and functionality-wise (except for the obvious ones like calling and camera capture). Seriously, the A81 is spec-wise, a Droid in tablet form. Then again, there's no RnD team really trying to polish the A81. So it's extremely buggy and unstable, and we can't get the stuff we want on it. I especially hate it when the browser says I can't download something cause I ran out of memory. What a farce. Bluetooth doesn't work. Can't even off the device without it acting up like it has a seizure.The point is, we got devices with inferior specs (particularly phones like the Galaxy Spica and Optimus GT540) running much better than the A81. This sucks.I know I'm asking too much... But I don't see how it can't be done. Even the other devices got Cyanogen mods which make the most out of their hardware, even the older ones like the HTC Magic and Dream.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
phone dialer and browser on the dock are easy to get rid of, install Adw launcher then load on there what ever you want, even if they dont fix that part, we can do it.File sharing? Have just done this without apks to backup whats on TF card (gotta love the new rom) and its usb fix.Wish they would get rid of the phone/camera stuff as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a whole list of things I'd like to see implemented, but I think we should start with the basics:- Video playback. Better performance and codec support. I mean, seriously!- Proper flash support, not this 'broken' implementation we have now.- Scrolling performance. I feel there's a lot of room left for improvement/optimization in scrolling in the webbrowsers or in android menu's/apps themselves. It's just way too clunky/choppy and I feel this device should be able to perform much better here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Support for a usb webcam, support for ad-hoc wifi, support for USB hubs, support for installing programs to USB memory, flash player pre-installed, external MIC support, better 720p playback, a working battery indicator, support for using a bluetooth-linked wiimote as an accellerometer, and a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy themed user interface.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i would say besides performance speed an stability to have it stock as in no added apps/apks but with each rom themed differently for a different taste (not all roms themed black, give more options like colors or a certain color, etc.). oh yea rooted of course.we all can find our own apps via a "working (fully)" market so to leave that up to the user giving the user more space to start off of.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Raz!-GPS software-Quick browser (opera?)-marketplace working fully-screen rotation software-get rid of those phone functions (makes the midnite looking like a piece of $***)-decent e-book reader-decent video player

·
Banned
205 Posts
With only 128mb of storage for apps this device needs a working app2sd solution either from wits with the 2.2 built-in function working. OR some sort of work-around.I would also like to see the bacon option: extra crispy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a Virgin Mifi2200 3G mobile hot spot device yesterday, and they offer pay as you go internet for $40 a month unlimited download. Speed is only ,7Mb/sec, but it works. It's the size of 10 stacked credit cards, and runs 4 hours on a charge. Overall I am happy with the device, but I wish it was a bit faster. I also got 4 hours off my Wits battery, so the match is pretty good. I have a spare A81-E battery on order, now need to get a spare for the Mifi2200.Would be cool if the firmware showed real battery life remaining.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote name='vijaykhai;51668]One kof the biggest drawbacks of A81E' date=' is the inability to use it ANYWHERE - a 3G or SIM card provision is a MUST. Any ideas for alternatives, meanwhile? Thanks.[/QUOTE'] Well i have used my nexus one 3g to wifi tethering with the A81E and it worked fine.Thanks all for your feedback, as people will start to get the MIDnites in the coming days i will be planning out this custom rom challange. Do post any further suggestions that any of you may have.ThanksRazMP4 Nation Online MP4 Player Store

·
Registered
31 Posts
[quote name='vijaykhai;51668] Any ideas for alternatives' date=' meanwhile? Thanks.[/QUOTE']I use a cell phone with Wifi hot spot capability.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.