Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys! Hope you're enjoying your Ainol too since mine has been working great since day 1. Did some modding, theaming and tweaking, with some random boots, but more on that later.

First and foremost, for those who are planning on buying one, if you need a tablet for media and entertainment purposes, yes do buy the ainol ELF. if you're on the medical field like me and you need something for reference purposes, nope, apple does that better. on all other things, customizability and functionality, Android is definitely better than IOS.

Next, I initially planned on buying the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus after MONTHS of looking at it, but I accidentally stumbled on a video of the Ainol Elf and immediately I bought one in 3 DAYS. and looking back, I say the deal was definitely worth it. why buy an expensive tablet-phone when you can buy your money with a tablet and a phone?:p

+++++++++++++++++++
JEXUIQ_05 AINOL ELF
+++++++++++++++++++

This is my first Android device, and I say it's worth every penny. Here are my tips on how to improve your device or modify it to improve performance and functionality :) I am not a developer, programmer or whatever. I am just a technogeek who enjoys modding devices by reading through other people's instructions ;)

1) Flash a CUSTOM ROM. I chose androidkun's ECR 0.8a after reading through the forums, and it's way better than stock. No problems here so far. However, I can't seem to update to the new 1.1 ROM and I keep on having problems booting. But I still can go back to 0.8a so no problems. Kudos to androidkun and feiyu, keep up the good work!;)

2) Install a LAUNCHER. If you hate those big icons, go try another launcher for a better feel of the device. I use ADW EX, will try GO LAUNCHER HD once I get my Elf 2. For screenshots, see my previous post HERE.

3) Install Chainfire3D. I did see a difference in animations, my basis of which is scrolling the app drawer. Doesn't hurt to try. But in my case I say it worked. I have good eyes ;)

4) Install a CPU CLOCKING APK. For my device I use CPU MASTER FREE. I set the minimum speed from 60MHz to 300Mhz to decrease loading time for the launcher. I underclock to 672Mhz-744Mhz to improve battery life. I can still run Photoshop and play all games with underclocking. If you want to have zippier performance I tried overclocking until 1152Mhz only.

5) Flash BEATSAUDIO. Someone in xda ported beats audio. I am not an audiophile but damn, you will feel a difference on the bass especially when using headphones. For better results, get a better headphones ;)

6) Run SuperChargerV6. It's a bit complicated at first but I do feel a difference. I've read through the forums on xda regarding the topic. I think the fact that it has around 800-900 pages of replies attests to its usefulness?:p

7) SuperUser fix. I think the stock SuperUser is faulty, and you need to run a specific script to make it work. For the script I just stumbled upon it while installing V6. Check xda for more info ;)

As for APKs, noteworthy apps to increase functionality are as follows (in no particular order):

1) OPERA MOBILE - damn good browser, you can attach files and stuff. Simple, neat and with good tabs that load on the background too. If you're more for aesthetics go for DOLPHIN BROWSER HD.

2) GOOGLE MAPS - well why complain of the Elf's lack of GPS when you can download/cache offline maps to your liking? Definitely works for me. Look for the apk in xda dev forums ;)

3) JORTE CALENDAR - check my previous post. Their widget calendar rocks!;) Goes pretty well with my launcher since ADW allows you to resize and customize widgets ;)

4) AIRDROID - its a beta app but it allows you wireless transfer of files FOR FREE and without limits to file size. It has a nice interface too. Try it!:)

5) SCREEN FILTER - the default 0% brightness of the Ainol Elf is still bright when the lights are off. For battery saving purposes and to save my eyes, I tried using this yesterday and wow. Very good free app.

6) SMART OFFICE 2 - best document viewer I tried. Initially ran DOCUMENTSTOGO and QUICKOFFICE PRO but the cracked apks don't work properly -__- Smart Office is simple and it works ;)

7) ES FILE EXPLORER - good must have app to view your files. Nuff said :p

8) AVAST MOBILE SECURITY - must have antivirus. I use this in my laptop and I never thought of going back to AVG, NORTON or MCAFEE :)

9) ALDIKO / ADOBE READER / COOLREADER - must have EPUB, PDF and CHM readers, respectively :) The former has a very nice interface, the shelf view reminds me of IBooks ;) Fully customizable to suit your reading needs ;)

10) ALARMDROID - it's noisy. It wakes me up without fail, especially with earphones on. HAHAHA.

11) GAMEBOID - gba emulator. Turn your Elf to a very big GBA haha. Why limit yourself to APKs when you can run GBA roms smoothly? Good controls, no lags or sudden crashes. Totally cool ;)

For a list of my apps, check out my app drawer screenshot in my previous post. I'm not much of a gamer but the best game I found was MONSTERSHOOTER. Very good free app, really addicting! Try it ;)

As for my battery, well I usually charge it every 2 days, with moderate to heavy use. I usually play games or use the browser for 2-4 hours continuously, then due to my schedule, I am unable to use the device and it goes on standby for hours. Longest I've gone without charging was 2 and a half days with mild to moderate use ;)

For questions feel free to ask. Again I am not a developer or programmer or whatever, I just read forums and modify as instructed ;) But seriously, the Ainol Elf is a really great device.

·
Registered
33 Posts
thankz for sharing buddyy.... i also found prob with the super user app can u give me a link to the script...!!!!
and yes pls post the link to ECR 0.8a ..!!
again thanks for the share....installedchain fre and screen filter helped alot..!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey waver! i'll get back to you in a few hours for the links. I just need to finish my work. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey waver, just check out androidkun's ROMs on this thread HERE. as for the fix for the superuser, you need to run this script.follow the directions written by zeppelinrox HERE.. Lastly for those thinking of trying out SuperCharger, just follow the steps written in xdaforums which I will link HERE. Quite a tedious task but I believe its worth trying ;)

Hope this helps :) And please do post your homescreen and app drawer on my other thread if you have time hehe. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
jexuiq_05

I installed Supercharger.. but what change am I looking for?
I don't quite get it yet
Do I have to switch between settings to difference?

Please could you explain in some sentences?
Or do you want to make me go trough 600 pages?

And my second question is about CPU Clocking: is that difficult?
Or should I not touch that if my elf works properly at this moment

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jexuiq_05

I don't quite get it yet

Or do you want to make me go trough 600 pages? :)

@digisleep, you dont need to go through all pages haha. I just read the instructions on how to properly install the V6. Were you able to run the script and does it say that you are 100% SUPERCHARGED? If you're on ICS, did you mod your services.jar file in http://android.mimic.ca? The only thing I did after finishing setting up the V6 was to run it again and change the settings.

I can answer your second question beter haha. CPU clocking is easy. Assuming you have a rooted device, which most likely is the case since I think Ainol Elf is prerooted from the start, just download a clocking app. I use CPU Master Free to do the clocking. I set to boot a clocking speed of minimum of 300Mhz to choose whatever speed you want. I use 744Mhz. I overclock to 1152Mhz when I'm a bit impatient haha. Never tried overclocking over 1200Mhz since some people start having reboots.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jexuiq_05

I don't quite get it yet

Or do you want to make me go trough 600 pages? :)

And I decided to post some screenshots of my SuperCharging, hope this helps in any way :))

First and foremost I start by running the script by Script manager as superuser:

Then the script checks some stuff prior to running..

This is the menu and you choose what you want to do. I usually Engine Flush (18) and SuperClean (30) once a week or when I feel some lag. I actually think V6 is the reason why I can run at 744Mhz without any problems. Or maybe I'm just imagining things ;)

Did some flushing today, and you can read through the image. I freed up a lot of RAM today :D

Supercleaned afterwards since I haven't rebooted my device for 3 days =__=

I also changed the values I use. I initially started with the MinFreeCalculator settings. Changed it to Super1000HP afterwards ;)

For more info posted something which might help interested V6 users. Check it out HERE. Hope this helps!:D Someone correct me anytime since I am just an Android noobs who reads and follows stuff and instructions in forums haha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks a lot for the post jexuiq, very useful! I received my ELF yesterday, so excited with the device! I am however a bit lost in step 1 - I definitely want to flash a safe ROM - sounds like ECR 0.8a is the one for me - hate the default 4.0.3 ROM with tons of Chinese apps/games.

However, does someone know of where to search for instructions? I'm confused because this talks about something called clockwork recovery etc, are these different from using LiveSuit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks a lot for the post jexuiq, very useful! I received my ELF yesterday, so excited with the device! I am however a bit lost in step 1 - I definitely want to flash a safe ROM - sounds like ECR 0.8a is the one for me - hate the default 4.0.3 ROM with tons of Chinese apps/games.

However, does someone know of where to search for instructions? I'm confused because this talks about something called clockwork recovery etc, are these different from using LiveSuit?
Hey there quad! Check koalnivj's instructions here in installing ECR 0.8a. I followed these steps when I installed ECR on my Elf. Attached a zip file. If I'm not mistaken, I used these to go to recovery mode to install my custom ROM. Unzip this file then place the dll files into your computers driver folder so that it can detect your device. Then plug in your Elf then run adb and the boot to recovery script to access CWM, which I think is pre-installed in the Elf (not sure though, I have poor memory haha).

ECR 0.8a can only be installed with ClockWorkMod. Haven't tried Livesuit since using my Elf

Feel free to message me for questions. Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey jex! Thanks a ton for the detailed reply - folks such as you make slatedroid so darn useful, and helpful for complete n00bs like me

I will try this on the weekend with some time on my hands, and will let you know how things go. Seems CWM is the way to go, the livesuit method seemed much more hacky! Getting excited after a long time.. since my college days when installing Red Hat Linux 7.0 was a similar challenge ;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey jex! Thanks a ton for the detailed reply - folks such as you make slatedroid so darn useful, and helpful for complete n00bs like me

I will try this on the weekend with some time on my hands, and will let you know how things go. Seems CWM is the way to go, the livesuit method seemed much more hacky! Getting excited after a long time.. since my college days when installing Red Hat Linux 7.0 was a similar challenge ;-)
Haha, I'm an Android noob too quad, I've been using my Elf for 6 weeks and its my first droid
Goodluck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jex dude, thanks a ton!

I am running ECR 0.8a now - the rom is SO MUCH BETTER! And google play.. slurrp!

I admit I was a little nervous while running stuff with ADB, and when the first reboot takes forever, but man - is it a joy to use after all that !

·
Registered
7 Posts
No idea, I saw 1.1 is out, but wanted to go with one which was used by fellow community members and wasn't problematic. How's 1.0 working out for you - is it fast?

0.8 speed is decent, better than the stock for sure, but could be even better I guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jex dude, thanks a ton!

I am running ECR 0.8a now - the rom is SO MUCH BETTER! And google play.. slurrp!

I admit I was a little nervous while running stuff with ADB, and when the first reboot takes forever, but man - is it a joy to use after all that !
Hey quad!Good to know that 0.8a works for you too! I think I'll stick with it for the moment. I bought my elf when ECR 0.9 was the latest ROM and from other people's reactions, 0.8a was better. @wewet: ECR 1.0 is newer though I haven't tried it. I had problems installing it on my Elf. Though I am very contented with ECR 0.8a ROM. It's stable and more importantly, USB charging works
)

@kihon: Sorry mate, never tried Google Talk yet so I can't help you =__=

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.