Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time lurker of this site as i awaited to make a purchase, and i have decided on the A81E was a proper fit for what I needed. Now that it is ordered, it is time ot make a laundry list of things that should/need to be done. I currently own a Moto Droid and plan on using that as a mobile hotspot if/when needed, so rooting and modifying the wifi settings is a must.Other than that, I am just looking for opinions of things that I should plan on doing to this A81E to make the most of it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well i bite, as most will leave this type of post alone. What you do is totally up to you and what you are trying to do with the device. Personally i turned it on, got on #SlateDroid irc and proceeded to update my ROM, however this is not for everyone. So again, it's totally up to you and what you want out of the device, the IRC and forum is very helpful if you have questions.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
update rom, reload the flash apk (so it works) download a stack of apks and keep them tucked away on card, get the adb set up (took me ages) and the most important thing of all, enjoy the device

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote name='mingnon;54538]update rom' date=' reload the flash apk (so it works) download a stack of apks and keep them tucked away on card, get the adb set up (took me ages) and the most important thing of all, enjoy the device[/QUOTE'] What do you mean by "adb"?edit: just saw that if I hover my mouse cursor over the word "adb" it tells me what it means....lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a Copy and Paste from another forum i frequent.I recommend doing backing up everything you have first then reflashing to the latest firmware.Once you back everything up you will have a copy of all the apps that come on the WITS including Flash.The new firmware is pretty stripped down(which is nice IMO) and you can reinstall what ever you want.So here is the procedure...
Before we start, & though it may be obvious to most, for these instructions we assume you have an SD card installed in your device to make life easier. ;)Lets use this thread to discuss the best ways to back up your Android apk files so you always have copies of them just in case. Since some devices have issues with typical USB connections between their Android device & a computer, I'll just go over the first steps quickly in how to copy your programs to an area on your SD card, so that it is easier to then transfer them off to a computer at a later time using a card reader.Backing Up Installed Android Market applications, SlideME applications, & User Installed applications:For backing up applications I will be using a free software called EStrong File Explorer, which can be download from a few places like using the SlideME application (search for just File Explorer), or here (EStrong File Explorer). The application of course should be download directly to & installed on your device. You could also possibly use Astro File Manager, though I am not going to go over using that program right now, it does have a file backup options as well.Most if not all the pre-installed applications on your Android tablet (I am not 100% certain, please correct me if I am wrong), are located in the root directory under /system/app. Now you can use EStrong File Explorer to copy everything from there to your SD card for backup using the typical Select/Copy/Paste commands, but it usually isn't necessary, so for now we are going to concentrate on backing up all the applications you might have installed using the Android Market app or SlideME app, as well as those that were even just user installed from a previously downloaded file if you still need those backed up as well, by using the Backup option EStrong File Explorer has in it.1) Open up EStrong File Explorer program on your Android device. If you have the SD card installed as was previously suggested, the program should open up on a page that shows this "/sdcard/" near the top left, & below will show all the folders & files that you might currently have on the SD card.2) First begin by pressing the physical Menu option button on your device so that a task bar bottom options menu appears on the lower part of the screen.3) Select the Manager option from the options displayed on that bottom task bar now.4) Now select Application Manager from the list of options in the pop-up box that should have appeared. Now you should be on a screen that has Application Manager at the top, & a list of installed applications will be below.5) If you are satisfied that you see all the apps you want to back up in this list you can just continue to step 6, otherwise you can tap the physical Menu button while in this menu once more & select the Show all option from the list. Now you will get an even bigger list of applications to back up, however, some or many of the these may be specific apps for the current version of OS installed, so it's your call whether to back them up & then try installing them into other OS versions. I believe using the Show All option here will end up listing all the pre-installed apps that are under the /system/app directory I mentioned earlier.6) Now that you are satisfied with the list of apps to choose from, you can back them up a few different ways: a) If you just want to select 1 file to back up, then just tap & hold on that 1 file until you get a pop-up screen, then select the Backup option.
If you want to select multiple files, but not all the files to backup, then simply tap on the button with boxes & + mark located near the left top of the screen, this is the Multi-select button. This will now become YELLOW in color, & will allow you to now just tap on every file you want to select for backup. Each file you tap its text will then become yellow too, showing it is a selected file. To deselect a mistaken selection, just tap on it again, & its text will become white so it isn't selected anymore. Tap the same top button to turn Off Multi-select. You could select all files this way, but if you have a lot, there is an easier way. c) To select all files very quickly for backup, just simply tap & hold down on the menu button with the boxes & + mark until you get a pop-up box with the choice to Select All, OK or Cancel, then just choose OK.7) Now that you have made all your selections, to back them up, all you need to do is either tap the device's physical Menu button to bring up the bottom task bar with options so you can then choose Backup, or simply tap & hold down pressure on any of the already selected (yellow) applications until the pop-up box comes up, then choose the Backup option from there.8) All files backed up using this method will be placed on the SD card under the /backups/apps directory. Simply shut down the device, remove your SD card, place the SD card in a computer card reader, & copy off all the files from that directory to your computer .... done, you now have backups of all your apk install files on your computer.If your device has working Wifi & access to your wireless network, you wouldn't need to remove the SD card, as you can use EStrong File Explorer to copy files from the Local SD card to your LAN. 1) After doing the Backup option, navigate the file explorer so you are in the /backup/apps directory of the SD card showing all the backups. Using the techniques stated earlier, Select all the backup apk files so they all show yellow & selected properly. 2) Now use the Copy command by either tapping & holding down on 1 selected file until the pop-up box displays so you can select Copy, or tap the physical Menu button & select Copy from the lower task bar of options that is displayed. 3) Now tap on the button in the upper right side of the screen which should currently show Local. You should get a pop-up box showing new options, select the LAN option here. 4) When first using this option you will be greeted with a blank screen, but don't worry. Tap on the physical Menu button to bring up the bottom task manager bar, & select + New. 5) If you know the address of your LAN server that you want to copy files to you can choose the Server option & fill in the information needed, however, I just use the Scan option here. 6) Select the particular network device from the list you want to copy the files to after the scan finishes or select the manually created server you entered. I have several IP addressed devices to choose from at this point, you may have less or more depending on what is set up on your own home network. If you tap on any of the listed IP address at this point, you should then see actual folder names then come up onscreen if you chose a valid device from your network that has file sharing & can accept files transferred to them. 7) Once a proper file sharing network device is chosen, just navigate on the network to the particular folder you want to copy your apk backup files to, than tap on the physical Menu button to bring up the bottom task bar options & select Operations, & then select the Paste option. All your files should then be copied over to your server by way of your wireless network!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.