Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across some linux binaries that are compiles for our ARM CPU. Specifically mkfs.yaffs.arm and busybox, I presume that more digging will surface more pre-compiles, but is there a way (how involved) to build or compile from source for our setup? Is anyone already setup to do this?

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I know they can be built in to the android build you are working on. Which is something I have been working on with 2.1. Still haven't gotten it all worked out though.As for compiling separate I'm not sure exactly how to do it.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
my understanding is that you need a toolchain (I'm assuming you are compiling in Linux). You'd put that in your path, for example if you used "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-"export PATH="${PATH}:/usr/local/cross-compiler/arm-2008q1/bin"export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-(this is assuming the make file in question is looking for that - this example is from codesourcery.com) There's nothing "default" in Ubuntu, and I've found at least two different compilers. So it's a little convoluted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you have the whole android platform it includes a toolchain:$ export CROSS_COMPILE=~/your_android_platform_folder/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain /arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
time to install linux
can anyone suggest the best release to use with a new dual core intel/ATI based laptop?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Linux and ATI don't play nice, just so you know. At least when it comes to enhanced desktop effects, but a standard desktop should be OK.As for which distro, you'll probably get a bunch of answers. I've used Slackware, then Fedora and currently Ubuntu. I find Ubuntu the easiest to tolerate because of the large user community.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have heard that ATI does not develop drivers for linux the way they shoud (as a MAJOR hardware provider) Unfortunately for me it was the only Laptop I could find that fit the budget and had enough GPU to play current release PC Games. I will only be installing (dual boot) to develop android stuff, so standard desktop should be fine.

·
Registered
784 Posts
nchntrman;62470 said:
time to install linux
can anyone suggest the best release to use with a new dual core intel/ATI based laptop?
I would suggest either Mandriva or Ubuntu. I use Mandriva and have found that it seems to be more up to date regarding drivers for the latest hardware. Has a good helpful, active user community as well.

·
Registered
402 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;62474]As for which distro' date=' you'll probably get a bunch of answers. I've used Slackware, then Fedora and currently Ubuntu. I find Ubuntu the easiest to tolerate because of the large user community.[/QUOTE'] I'm going to echo Ubuntu as the best distro, simply because again of its great community. Then there is also the Debian community from which even more support can be drawn. I'd recommend as a preliminary step doing a google on the manufacturer and model of your laptop plus Ubuntu to see what comes up. If you're lucky there will have been others who've already written up some useful HOWTOs you can follow and they'll have done the hard work of patching away any rough spots in your hardware support (like ATI driver issues) and you can more past things relatively quickly.--bornagainpenguin

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its an Acer
Uncle Google is always my first stop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts