Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I am considering buying a PDN, but would appreciate your thoughts on the biggest advantages and disadvantages of it. I've read Nate's and ColdSun's reviews, which have been very valuable.I am interested in it for carrying with me all the time, reading magazines, newspapers and books.Thanks!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Best advantage is the 800x600 screen. Those 800x480 screens are wimpy wimpy wimpy.Main dislike is that there is no eazy way to add Bluetooth or a usb host port.But for the $105 invested it rocks like the Scorpions back in the 80s!"Here I am... Rock U like a Hurricane ..."Bangs head, strikes the dual devil horn hand signal pose!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I primarily use the PDN as a reader device, and also to watch movies/tv shows on the go, and to browse the web during breaks between class and whatnot. So far the only downside in those regards is that it freezes every now and then. Fortunately, there is a reset button, so as long as you take around something that can reach into the hole where the button is (i.e. a paperclip, you're good to go). Another downside is my PDN started developing cracks in the white glaze part, so I returned it for another. The first PDN connected to wifi more efficiently, but my current one isn't as efficient with it. The final downside, for me, is that pretty much any PDF with images cannot be zoomed in.Besides that I really enjoy reading on it, watching TV shows/movies, and the internet as well.Once reviews start coming out I may go for Velocity Micro's offering, but I am enjoying my PDN.

·
Registered
846 Posts
[quote name='DMSutter;40329]Hi' date='I am interested in it for carrying with me all the time, reading magazines, newspapers and books.Thanks!![/QUOTE']I know you asked for pros and cons..not a recommendation, but.. If reading is TRULY all you will do with it and if you don't need the backlight (i.e. night reading with no external lights) then, for similar money a Nook or WiFi Kindle is worth considering due to being considerably lighter and probably less fragile to carry around and e-ink being easier on the eyes.... but if any activities like email, web browsing, calendar, contacts, games, etc are in the cards, then a tablet type device is a better choice and the price and performance of a hacked Novel is good.So.. if the tablet is the desire due to projected usage, then pros are performance and capabilities for the price.. cons are the need to hack to get these things (really pretty easy) and weight and occasional wi fi issues.If a reader (only) is your need, then the pros of a Novel are primarily its backlight and the cons are weight, screen type (not e-ink), occasional crashes and wi-fi issues..

·
Registered
75 Posts
One big advantage is that once hacked, you can run multiple readers on it (which was one of my main reasons for getting it even tho' I already own a Kindle). I wanted a device that can handle different book stores (epub) and libraries.As for fragility of the Kindle verses PDN, for some reason, I'm more paranoid about wrecking the Kindle screen rather than PDN--PDN just seems sturdier.Anyway, other advantages/disadvantages folks have already discussed. As a reading device, it's challenging reading PDN outdoors. Oh, and you have to charge it every day.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I endorse the opinions of davidr and zsmomma. The best and worst thing about the device is that it was released as an ereader. That's great because it is well-tailored to that purpose, it sucks because it's just about ONLY tailored to that purpose, but for that purpose other devices are better. I have both a PDN and a nook, and if I were going to carry something around for textbook or other serious reading, I would carry the nook - 3g enabled it can get books anywhere, it's lighter, easier on the eyes for long periods, and it can do the music while reading thing as well as the PDN (or better). That said, there is a lot to be liked about the PDN, including the hackery. I also like that it is color, can play video, and can run any reader. With rebates and discounts, it IS the best bang for buck, period. THE WHITE that is. The black is in my book of grudges.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First I want to say that I love having my PDN. I use it for MANY things, reading, internet browsing, etc. It is great, and I can do *just about* anything I need to on it.I like the screen size, and all, but first and foremost I wish it were capacitive instead of resistive (for faster and more accurate response). I could then use something like the SlideIt keyboard, which is on my phone, and I really like it. As it is, the response is too slow to use it, even with the recent firmware upgrades. I'll seriously consider the new Cruz Tablet if it's screen is that much better than the PDN's.I would like to use another launcher besides Pandahome, but they all have problems with rotating. I don't really like Pandahome, but I have no reasonable alternative.I wish it could boot faster, or sleep for quick startup, so that I don't have to wait so long to use it, or waste battery while it is not in use.I want "tun" support on it so that I could use the VPNConnections to tie into the corporate Cisco VPN. I'm trying to "tun" support on the PDN, but I haven't figured it out - yet. :)Flash support would be nice (Froyo, where are you?).I also wish it had a home button, though I now have ways around it that make it okay.

·
Registered
133 Posts
derelicte;40396 said:
best thing = robo defenseworst thing = robo defense:D
+1000Worst things:1. No flash2. Video errors on YouTube.3. Haven't gotten SLEEP mode to work yet4. Horrible outside; even with 100% brightness, reading is difficult5. Video stutter (every 5 seconds)...and having to convert my videos. Still watchable though.6. Limited space for installing apps. I'm getting LOW DISK SPACE (but a lot of free space on my internal and external SD cards). From what I have read, even with larger SD cards, the memory is limited for apps. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.Overall, I still like it for what I can do with it. Read, watch videos, surf. Once SLEEP mode gets worked out, it'll serve a better purpose...instant on for news/weather.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From 07_04 FW to 08_06 FW, the main cons have remained consistent. Since 07_24 FW, the UI responsiveness is much better. The list is based on priority.Main cons:1. Sleep Management (never sure if it will sleep or wakeup & consume battery, A pain with WiFi problem since going to sleep means lost WiFi)2. WiFi reconnection (never was good, got worse since 07_24, fast with a reboot but reboot is a slow process) 3. Screen readability outside (like most LCDs. hard to impossible to read outside, iPad is better and Kindle/Nooks are incomparable)Main Pros:1. Price to usefulness incomparable @ $120 or so.2. Pretty good e-book reader for Adobe DRM epubs free from local library3. Pretty good Web browser using Skyfire, Dolphin browsersThe other app. that would have been killer is internet radio/streaming. RadioTime is fantastic on it BUT the sleep management rears it's ugly head. Cannot turn of sleep so the radio function will shutdown once the sleep timeout runs down and WiFi gets lost.All in all, a decent toy to learn about Android w/o paying for smartphone service.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
[quote name='SpinControl;40413]Limited space for installing apps. I'm getting LOW DISK SPACE (but a lot of free space on my internal and external SD cards). From what I have read' date=' even with larger SD cards, the memory is limited for apps. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.[/QUOTE']The internal operating memory is limited, but the internal SD card should give you variable room for DATA on native apps and the external sdcard should do the same for DATA on 3rd party apps. This issue concerns me, and I haven't seen it much. Start a separate thread (or bump your existing one with an update): what have you done to it, what are you running, do you use a task killer, what size cards do you have in, etc.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Like Most: Price $99+tax (After BBB Pricematch Walgreens, 20% off, $20 Rebate)Like Least: Fragile screen, my 1st Novel busted after a 24" fall to Tile floor, also the reset button got broken when I poked the reset hole too hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.