Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems many of us have programming experience, Linux experience, and Android experience, but we seem yet to have gotten a ROM developer checking out the Pandigital. Or is someone out there lurking? I am still curious how someone even got Froyo to boot.CPG

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I also think we should be bugging Pandigital for the source/kernel...

·
Registered
143 Posts
There's already a custom firmware out that one of our members created, but even I didn't know about it until a day or so ago. On the front page I believe is a custom firmware that is pre-hacked and includes Google Experience already preinstalled so you don't have to go through that headache. That being said, we do need more people with the knowledge to create a better custom firmware including all of the most utilized installs so we can avoid having to rehack the PDN in the future.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I volunteer each of you...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote name='bmurphr1;21219]There's already a custom firmware out that one of our members created' date=' but even I didn't know about it until a day or so ago. On the front page I believe is a custom firmware that is pre-hacked and includes Google Experience already preinstalled so you don't have to go through that headache. That being said, we do need more people with the knowledge to create a better custom firmware including all of the most utilized installs so we can avoid having to rehack the PDN in the future.[/QUOTE']This isnt so much a custom firmware, as a script that installs all the needed apks etc for Google stuff.. It is great though... and a step in the right direct...

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have, repeatedly. They told me they would refer it to the "right people." Probably the Russian mafia, out to kill me right now...

·
Registered
255 Posts
[quote name='lawman;21357]I have' date=' repeatedly. They told me they would refer it to the "right people." Probably the Russian mafia, out to kill me right now...[/QUOTE'] Is this asking Pandigital for a GPL release? You're lucky, they haven't even replied to my email...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Everyone,Just a quick though (and excuse me if it is completely incorrect...I still have a WM phone ;o) ) but if the Novel uses the same processor as the Samsung Moment wouldn't a good starting point be looking at the Kernels/Roms that can be used on the moment? As I said I am new to Android but want to learn....

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='Sigson;21582]Hello Everyone' date='Just a quick though (and excuse me if it is completely incorrect...I still have a WM phone ;o) ) but if the Novel uses the same processor as the Samsung Moment wouldn't a good starting point be looking at the Kernels/Roms that can be used on the moment? As I said I am new to Android but want to learn....[/QUOTE'] That's what I've been doing. I got a 2.1 ROM to get to the boot screen, but can't unlock it due to a lack of hardware keys. Once I'm home from vacation I will probably try to hook up a keyboard to see if I can get by it that way.At the moment, there isn't much point in distinguishing "a ROM" and "a series of scripts", because the end result is mostly the same. Almost all the changes being done now are being done to /system, which can be done via adb scripts, and since I'm working from Windows that is the easiest way for me to do it.At some point, we will probably need to replace their recovery partition with a custom one, because they use some kind of funky program to check images and write them, as opposed to any of the standard android programs that I am aware of. I just think we're a long way from being at that point yet, so I'm not really worried about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.