Android Tablets Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Going to be the PowerVR 530. The chips are done as SoC. CPU+GPU on single chip. More info for EV2 CPU:
http://www2.renesas.com/news/en/archive/1002/0801_1.html
http://www2.renesas.com/news/en/archive/1002/0801.html
This was the biggest "mistake" of the chipset designers for this chip IMHO... The gave it a "so-so" GPU. I wish they could have gone the route of AMLogic and paired it with a Mali-400. Of course, it does get the best battery life of pretty much every other mobile chipset out there in the sub-$300 China-Tab market... Perhaps the slow GPU has something to do with it?

-Roman

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
This was the biggest "mistake" of the chipset designers for this chip IMHO... The gave it a "so-so" GPU. I wish they could have gone the route of AMLogic and paired it with a Mali-400. Of course, it does get the best battery life of pretty much every other mobile chipset out there in the sub-$300 China-Tab market... Perhaps the slow GPU has something to do with it?

-Roman
They would have gone with SGX 530 to cut down on cost. This GPU gives middle performance and is beat out by Mali-400 & SGX 540.

The biggest reason would be that this tablet runs @ 3.7 volts. Other Chinese tablets use 7.4 volts. Getting tablets to work with 3.7 volts will always give much longer battery life. ie, just under 2X longer run time. You should confirm what battery voltages each of your tablets run on. The S5PC110 is supposed to also get very good battery life (about 7-8 hours) but will cost good money to buy. Pretty sure the S5PC110 runs on 3.7 volts too. Also, the tweaks below likely give another 2 hours to Rena's total run time.

From one of links I gave:
The new products incorporate various technologies such as automatic clock control, on-chip power-switch and quick-recovery (Note 1). Using those features, EMMA Mobile/EV is reducing power consumption by up to 30 percent compared to EMMA Mobile 1, thereby contributing to longer battery life.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Apparently video playback is greatly improved compared
to Rena.

It supports most 1080p video.

Not sure bout flash but I'm sure they've sorted that out too fingers crossed.
The EV2 chips support GPU (hardware) decoding. See below for details. If you use software mode, that means the system is missing the proper drivers to do GPU decoding. ie, firmware issue.

Rena is also capable of GPU decoding but only with proper drivers on Android. If only able to use software decoding mode, it could be that PowerVR graphics driver is missing & using VESA modes or not using the latest Flash version?

From my link (for GPU decode):
-AV Engine:
H.264 decode: BP/MP/HP up to Full HD (1920 × 1080) 30 fps
MPEG2 decode: MP up to Full HD (1920 × 1080) 30 fps
MPEG4 decode: SP/ASP up to Full HD (1920 × 1080) 30 fps
VC-1 decode: SP/MP/AP up to Full HD (1920 × 1080) 30 fps
MP3, AACHE-AAC, WMA decode
AC-3 decode Dolby digital 5.1ch

PS when you buy Chinese tablet, not only do you have to check the hardware but make sure they release stable and proper firmware (upgrades) for the tablet. You can see that the Visture looks like a higher quality product and so they will do better job with their firmwares.

Take note that GPU acceleration will help play HD videos on Flash sites like Youtube because you reduce the load on the CPU but not help with Flash Animation & Games.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts