Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I connected my Novel to my PC (actually 2 of them) for the first time, Vista trundled along and THINKS it has the drivers it needs. Both PCs think the Novel is a USB drive or drives, and won't let me update drivers. So I'm trying to follow Nate the great's rtf file, but I can't install the driver.Any clues? I'll have to borrow an XP device from work if Vista is the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
search the forum (note the sticky ed post telling people to search the forum :p ). several, including me, had this problem. meth and nate found you may have to find the device id and change the relevant files.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ultimately installed the unsigned driver using the "add legacy hardware" route, but it says it encountered an error when installing, and the device cannot start (code 10). Since I get the same error whether the Novel is connected or not, this doesn't look to me like a device id error - at least not at this stage.Also related, I don't see anywhere (and yes, I searched) that tells you where to actually find the device id string, though there are several posts that say they used one android_usb.inf file or another.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe I can get the device ID from Device Manager when the Novel is connected as a USB drive. Assuming that the same one applies for adb. But I still have the driver error - code 10.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
right click on the icon representing the unrecognized hardware in the control panel/system/hardware window. As I recall, it will give you the information there. Again, I would look around, as I know this issue has been addressed. If I get time later, I will try to be more helpful, but like G-d, I prefer to help those who help themselves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There never were any unrecognized items in the device manager after the first attempt to load the driver failed. I had to use the legacy hardware method to force it to load the android_usb.inf file, which it then identified as an Android phone, with 'Android Composite ADB interface' under it. But I still have the code 10 error, even without the Novel attached. Since there is no device yet, it can't be the device id which is causing the problem.What I have now for a device ID is 18d1&pid_b004&rev0224so[Google.NTx86]; Pandigital Novel%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USBVID_18D1&PID_A004&MI_01[Google.NTamd64]; Pandigital Novel%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USBVID_18D1&PID_A004&Rev_0224&MI_01The prior ones had B004 instead of A004.Still code 10.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I got it from another site entirely. Deleted all USB controllers, rebooted, and NOW see device which let me install this driver.So it looks done, but I have to go chauffeur daughter, and will have to work with it further later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks ibap. i believe lawman is mistaken in that this is a different problem than what's he's referencing. i've been afraid to ask any questions anywhere on the site since i saw his response to your question. the search facilities, are , um, less than adequate on this site, and i really did try to read every single post and reply, but there are an awful lot of them. anyway, vista let me install to my heart's content for two days, then poof, and ever since it's been 'error - no device' regardless of how i uninstalled drivers and tried to replace them. vista doesn't even recognize the adbwinusbapi.dll any more. it wants an inf and only an inf will do.i'll try your idea and let you know probably this evening.

·
Registered
87 Posts
[quote name='fuzzmello;19454]thanks ibap. i believe lawman is mistaken in that this is a different problem than what's he's referencing. i've been afraid to ask any questions anywhere on the site since i saw his response to your question. the search facilities' date=' are , um, less than adequate on this site, and i really did try to read every single post and reply, but there are an awful lot of them. anyway, vista let me install to my heart's content for two days, then poof, and ever since it's been 'error - no device' regardless of how i uninstalled drivers and tried to replace them. vista doesn't even recognize the adbwinusbapi.dll any more. it wants an inf and only an inf will do.i'll try your idea and let you know probably this evening.[/QUOTE'] In the package that Nate provided, there is an inf. I am using it with Vista 64, no problem here. I am surprised that Vista thought it had the drivers, mine didn't. But no problemo, what you need to do is to dig into the device manager and tell it to update the legacy driver, this is buried on some obsure tab in the properies menu, and point the resulting search to where you unpacked Nate's stuff (there was an inf there for Vista to use). Worked for me and Vista 64.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I plugged in my item I did not install the driver. I then went to the device manager pulled up the one with the yellow ! and looked for the device ID then copy/pasted that into the inf. Worked like a dream.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Eureka!What happened to me was, I think (and there was so much fumbling around I'm not 100% sure, but here goes):At the first connection, Vista couldn't find the driver it needed (not sure about this) but mounted the Novel as though it were strictly a USB device, which is what it looked like I guess. I ended up with the PC thinking it had a USB drive. My impression was that I wound up with an android_winusb.inf file that did not match my device ID. It wasn't clear to me where to get that ID, but eventually I found it in device manager - universal serial bus controllers - details - hardware ids, but that wasn't quite right. Even so, every time I tried to use device manager - action - add legacy hardware to install the driver, it would give me a code 10 error, installed but the device couldn't start. On another site, where someone was working with an Android phone (found by google), http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2676mugafuga said you need to uninstall every single usb controller, even though they are working, and let Vista re-install them. He said then his adb was automatically correctly installed. He had also said you needed usb debugging turned on. (Note that mugafuga said it took him 4 days to figure this out.)I had once seen that screen, and did not recall how I had left it, (don't recall how I got there, either) so I did a reset on the device (didn't have much on there yet anyway) and now I could tell that usb debugging was on once I plugged in the cable, via the message in the top bar.Mine did not automatically install adb, but after rebooting Vista, I NOW (first time) had an unidentified device in the usb section of device manager, where I saw the device id with the b004 form (not the a004 I saw earlier). With that correctly edited into the inf file for the driver (which was, I think how it started out), I was finally able to install the driver. After that, I used Nate the great's instructions to install the volume button hacks and PandaHome.I was then able to install the other apps Nate had included (eReader, Kindle, Aldiko) so I'm now poking around for what else I can add, and how to get back to the BN reader app. So far, I can get back to it via the original Home screen through PDSystemSetting and closing that, but it isn't a direct route.So I hope this helps.I agree that the forum search function is not the greatest (this is true of a lot of forums), and when I started doing this, I got that Server Error 500 message almost every time I tried to move to a new page.Note that all of this is really related to getting the driver installed, and not to the PDN itself. Note: All of the default books in the BN reader app disappeared after the reset, including the Novel manual, but that is now back up on Pandigital.net and I can get it there. The one lousy music file, however, remains.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never had the yellow ! on the one I needed the id from. That only appeared on the ADB driver item under Android phone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tyrela;19550 said:
When I plugged in my item I did not install the driver. I then went to the device manager pulled up the one with the yellow ! and looked for the device ID then copy/pasted that into the inf. Worked like a dream.
I never had that on the right device to get the id. I only saw it on the ADB driver under Android phone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Note: All of the default books in the BN reader app disappeared after the reset, including the Novel manual, but that is now back up on Pandigital.net and I can get it there. The one lousy music file, however, remains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
what you need to do is to dig into the device manager and tell it to update the legacy driver, this is buried on some obsure tab in the properies menu, and point the resulting search to where you unpacked Nate's stuff (there was an inf there for Vista to use)
yeah windows is telling me that inf won't work with my s32 bit system. which is pretty weird since it worked the first time i tried it! i'll just keep at it. i'm sure i'm missing something here. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In PandaHome, start any of the PD apps, at the bottom of the screen inside any of those, you will see the tab for the B&N programs, just bring up that menu and you can access any of the B&N stuff within PandaHome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ibpa said on 07/17/10 Mine did not automatically install adb, but after rebooting Vista, I NOW (first time) had an unidentified device in the usb section of device manager, where I saw the device id with the b004 form (not the a004 I saw earlier).
you got the unidentified device in the device manager by connecting the pdn after your reboot and vista installing those usb drivers, right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote name='fuzzmello;20084]you got the unidentified device in the device manager by connecting the pdn after your reboot and vista installing those usb drivers' date=' right?[/QUOTE'] I believe that what I did was to uninstall all of the controllers and the usb devices (but not the hubs) in device manager. Vista seemed to almost immediately reinstall them. Then I rebooted and re-connected the pdn. Then the unidentified device appeared with the usb devices, but once I got the right driver, it appeared under 'Android phone'.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote name='tyrela;19586]for me it was %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install' date=' USBVID_18D1&PID_B004&REV_0224&MI_01[/QUOTE'] That's what it was for me, eventually. However, when I was trying to figure out what was wrong, people had posted "here's the inf file" without guidance as to where these strings were coming from. Also, at once stage, I saw a similar string, but with A004 in place of B004, in device manager - properties - details - hardware ids. I have no idea as to why it showed up with A instead of B, but that was an extra excursion that I didn't need and didn't make any sense.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts