Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was originally going to base my next ROM on 1.2 but Onda seem to be very slow about releasing it. I ran the 1.2rc522 firmware for about 10 days, and there are still problems with it. Since I have had a number of requests, I decided to go ahead and release a new version of my "minimal" ROM, but it is still based on 1.1.

As with Mike V1.1, all Chinese apps have been removed and VoiceSearch is included. V1.1.1 isn't quite as minimal as V1.1 - a few extra apps are included. It's about 10MB bigger.

Changes since V1.1:
  • Google Talk & Google News/Weather included
  • Adobe Flash & Adobe Reader included
  • The ROM now pretends that a GPS, Bluetooth are installed, which enables more apps to be visible in Play Store (such as Facebook)
  • Busybox has been pre-linked in /system/bin. Note: it will *not* appear in the apps. Do *not* install a Busybox app on the Vi40 - it can cause major problems!
  • Browser has been updated to new version. Improves hangs, but it still isn't perfect. Opera Mobile is still better IMHO.
  • Many other system apps have been updated to new versions.
I tried to get FaceUnlock working, but unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the camera interface, so I have not included it.

Download the firmware at: https://hotfile.com/dl/161117478/4d08e8a/Vi40_V3_v1.1_Mike_V1.1.1c.zip.html

Instructions on flashing can be found at: http://www.topnotchtablets.com/A10Firmware (Under "Instructions").

If you need LiveSuite you can find it here: https://hotfile.com/dl/159916531/85c3449/LiveSuitPack_v1.07.zip.html

Once you have flashed the ROM, boot the tablet and set it up in the usual way:
  • Set input language if it isn't US English;
  • Set your timezone;
  • Enable Google's "location services" (assuming you want it);
  • Connect your WIFI;
  • Go into PlayStore, set up your Google account and install the apps you want;
Note: Pretending to have a GPS has some downsides. Google Maps will ask you to turn on the GPS, but you can tell it to skip and not ask you again. You also need to "turn on" the GPS to use Google Navigation even for planning trips (you can't actually navigate without a real GPS of course). However you can also plan trips using "Directions" in Google Maps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was originally going to base my next ROM on 1.2 but Onda seem to be very slow about releasing it. I ran the 1.2rc522 firmware for about 10 days, and there are still problems with it. Since I have had a number of requests, I decided to go ahead and release a new version of my "minimal" ROM, but it is still based on 1.1.

As with Mike V1.1, all Chinese apps have been removed and VoiceSearch is included. V1.1.1 isn't quite as minimal as V1.1 - a few extra apps are included. It's about 5MB bigger.

Changes since V1.1:
  • Google Talk & Google News/Weather included
  • Adobe Flash & Adobe Reader included
  • The ROM now pretends that a GPS is installed, which enables more apps to be visible in Play Store (such as Facebook)
  • Busybox has been pre-linked in /system/bin. Note: it will *not* appear in the apps. Do *not* install a Busybox app on the Vi40 - it can cause major problems!
  • Browser has been updated to new version. Improves hangs, but it still isn't perfect. Opera Mobile is still better IMHO.
  • Many other system apps have been updated to new versions.
I tried to get FaceUnlock working, but unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the camera interface, so I have not included it.

Download the firmware at: https://hotfile.com/dl/159916150/79c86cb/Vi40_V3_v1.1_Mike_V1.1.1.zip.html

Instructions on flashing can be found at: http://www.topnotchtablets.com/A10Firmware (Under "Instructions").

If you need LiveSuite you can find it here: https://hotfile.com/dl/159916531/85c3449/LiveSuitPack_v1.07.zip.html

Once you have flashed the ROM, boot the tablet and set it up in the usual way:
  • Set input language if it isn't US English;
  • Set your timezone;
  • Enable Google's "location services" (assuming you want it);
  • Connect your WIFI;
  • Go into PlayStore, set up your Google account and install the apps you want;
Note: Pretending to have a GPS has some downsides. Google Maps will ask you to turn on the GPS, but you can tell it to skip and not ask you again. Google Navigation will not work (it worked in my 1.1 ROM for planning trips without a GPS of course). Please let me know if there is a way past the prompt saying that the GPS is disabled - I couldn't find one. However you can also plan trips using "Directions" in Google Maps.
Great work Mate! now we have many Chef's with their own flavors..

Big thing to add is the Linaro's Android 4.0.4 optimizations, 100% supercharged ICS, hope we could have integrate it in our Tabs, Galaxy Note custom ROM's with Linaro is already out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
dear Mike, 1st thank you for your effort to bring us a complete & light rom

2nd is it possible to add & enable init.d folder? (/system/etc/init.d)

this could be really useful for people using various scripts/tricks
Installed Mike's version without doing a format, did not see nay difference. Went back to Angel's "ONDA_Vi40_Elite_firmware1.1_AngelV4".
Edited: Still have problem with V4- Display setting crashes, now gone down back to V1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ivory, I'm not sure what differences you were expecting. The main difference is that my ROM is quite a bit smaller to download, and doesn't automatically install apps that can easily be downloaded from PlayStore. This version has most Busybox utilities pre-linked to avoid installing it from PlayStore, which can overwrite Onda's binaries, and make the system unbootable. But unless you are doing things at the Linux scripting level, you would not notice it.

Suiller, what exactly do you want to use init.d for? Starting or doing stuff at boottime? I believe that there is a file init.rc that can do much the same thing.

And finally, it seems that by turning on the non-existent GPS using the control-bar (the one that also controls brightness, turns on/off wifi etc), you can use Google Navigator for trip planning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great work Mate! now we have many Chef's with their own flavors..

Big thing to add is the Linaro's Android 4.0.4 optimizations, 100% supercharged ICS, hope we could have integrate it in our Tabs, Galaxy Note custom ROM's with Linaro is already out.
Thanks Mike a nice clean rom.....As you say I can now put in "What I want" ....Google voice is great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the clean firmware. One problem I've encountered is I can't find some apps on the market, FPSE (playstation emulator) and USB/BT Joystick Center 6. I think it's due to the lack of BT on the Vi40. Is there a way or tricking the market like the GPS to Fake BT capability? I found apks for fpse and Joystick Center. fpse works fine, but Joystick center will not recognise any USB Gamepads that I had.

I found another app not available on market which is "GTA 3" which is on sale today for 99c.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bomaderry: Yes, you *can* fake bluetooth, but you have to know what you are doing! You need to edit the file /system/etc/permissions/tablet_core_hardware.xml, and insert the following line:
<feature name="android.hardware.bluetooth" />
It doesn't matter that much where you put this line - somewhere in amongst the other <feature name=... /> lines.
Then go into "Manage apps", clear the data of "Google Play Store" and then "Google Framework Services", then re-boot the tablet.
When it boots, you should notice that a Bluetooth symbol appears on the controlbar (the one that you can set brightness, turn on/off wifi etc).
Go into Google Play (you will have to go through the acceptance stuff), and your app will hopefully appear.

Note: To edit the file, there are 2 basic ways. I strongly suggest that you make a copy of the file before you change it (copy to the internal "sdcard" or somewhere safe). If you know how to use a Unix editor such as "vi", you can go into "Terminal Emulator", run "su", cd /system/etc/permissions, and run "vi tablet_core_hardware.xml" (or "busybox vi ..." if you are not using my latest 1.1.1 ROM which has "vi" linked) and make the change. Otherwise you can use "ES File Explorer" to copy the file to the "sdcard", then plug the USB cable into a PC and edit the copy on the sdcard on your PC (eg: using wordpad). Unmount the USB and copy the edited version back to /system/etc/permissions.

Sleek: My firmware has exactly the same battery calibration info as the stock Onda 1.1 firmware - I do not change that area at all. It seems that there are lots of people complaining about battery calibration on the Vi40 (all firmwares), and I'm not an expert on it, sorry. I suggest that you download a battery calibration app and re-calibrate, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike,

Thank you. Just installed. This is a huge improvement from the ROM I was running previously. Also, appreciate you including Google Talk. Only problem I'm seeing is with Google Talk. If I try to initiate a video call or chat using the mic it crashes. Is there a voice/video component that must be installed first?

REB

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh #!%#%##, you are right - I seem to have left the 2 Google talk libraries out of the ROM. Sorry about that, chief.

I have put them up on https://hotfile.com/dl/160450560/0aad860/google_talk_libs.zip.html

Unzip this file and copy the 2 files into /system/lib, and re-boot the tablet. You can use ES File Explorer (with the "up to root", "root explorer" and "mount file system" options set) to do this.

I'll re-build & upload the fixed ROM tonight.

Thanks for letting me know, Reb.

Mike

Edit: I have now uploaded a fixed version of the Firmware, available at: https://hotfile.com/dl/161117478/4d08e8a/Vi40_V3_v1.1_Mike_V1.1.1c.zip.html
I have also defined fake Bluetooth in /etc/permissions so that even more apps are visible in PlayStore.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Mike!

In fact this version batt drain is an improvement over the previous copy; as the Batt Drain will drops 2-3% hourly to about 60% then steeply to 40%, before gradual 2-3% down to 27%, then same as here at 20%.

Thks for the great ROM and will upgrade to 1.1.1b shortly too!

Forgot to add that using Easy Battery Calibration on the Vi40.

Sleek: My firmware has exactly the same battery calibration info as the stock Onda 1.1 firmware - I do not change that area at all. It seems that there are lots of people complaining about battery calibration on the Vi40 (all firmwares), and I'm not an expert on it, sorry. I suggest that you download a battery calibration app and re-calibrate, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh poo, just noticed this thread after I've installed v1 of your ROM Mike. Back we go again. LOL

Again, MANY THANKS for your great work on this!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well it looks like I might have been a bit hasty defining a fake compass in the hope of making more apps visible in PlayStore. It seems that it can make the tablet un-bootable in some circumstances

The declaration of fake bluetooth seems OK though.

So if anyone has installed my 1.1.1b firmware, I suggest that you either upgrade to 1.1.1c available at https://hotfile.com/dl/161117478/4d08e8a/Vi40_V3_v1.1_Mike_V1.1.1c.zip.html or if you know what you are doing, all yoi need to do is to edit the file /system/etc/permissions/tablet_core_hardware.xml, and remove the line with the word "compass" in it (before you power the tablet off).

If you are unable to boot, I'm afraid that you'll have to reflash with the "c" version.

Please note that this problem *only* affects the "b" version dated 20120620. You can check this date by going into "About tablet", and look at the date in the "Build Number".

I'm really sorry about that.

Thanks to jd_james for letting me know.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it looks like I might have been a bit hasty defining a fake compass in the hope of making more apps visible in PlayStore. It seems that it can make the tablet un-bootable in some circumstances

So if anyone has installed my 1.1.1b firmware, I suggest that you either upgrade to 1.1.1c available at https://hotfile.com/dl/161117478/4d08e8a/Vi40_V3_v1.1_Mike_V1.1.1c.zip.html or if you know what you are doing, all yoi need to do is to edit the file /system/etc/permissions/tablet_core_hardware.xml, and remove the line with the word "compass" in it (before you power the tablet off).

If you are unable to boot, I'm afraid that you'll have to reflash with the "c" version.

Please note that this problem *only* affects the "b" version dated 20120620. You can check this date by going into "About tablet", and look at the date in the "Build Number".

Mike
im recently upgrade using ur 1.1.1b firmware, for couple hours it's quite stable for me, im able to boot several times
and what's new on 1.1.1c ?

·
Registered
29 Posts

So if anyone has installed my 1.1.1b firmware, I suggest that you either upgrade to 1.1.1c available at https://hotfile.com/...1.1.1c.zip.html or if you know what you are doing, all yoi need to do is to edit the file /system/etc/permissions/tablet_core_hardware.xml, and remove the line with the word "compass" in it (before you power the tablet off).

Mike
Thanks Mike for your prompt action with your ROM.......I did not have promblems with b......But your ROM is best of all, so stable ....Its like I have a fully working tablet now.... THANK YOU

1 - 20 of 34 Posts