Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent most of the weekend using my new Novel, this is the first e-reader I've owned. I'm fairly happy with the machine and think it's a pretty functional device for the money, with a few features that surprised me with their coolness. I have a couple of weird things that I thought I'd post to see if anyone had similar issues, or if there were simple fixes for. First, I can't seem to get covers to load with my epubs when I add a book to my library. I read in one of the posts that the name of the cover .jpeg must match the title of the book exactly. I've done that, but they still won't show up as a thumbnail in the bookshelf, just the name of the book as text. Also, when I copy songs to the Novel, even though the file is named, it shows up as unknown (title and artist) in the music player. Apparently there is no way to name the songs once they are loaded to the device. If any one can offer any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, but I've emailed the issues to the Pandigital support line on their web page. I'll post their response once I receive it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry can't help here, never actually used the device as a reader haha, I bought it after reading how to unlock the launcher. The wife has booted the default launcher twice and it froze white screen on her both times so she got mad and told me I need to return it haha...

·
Registered
29 Posts
We just got a couple last Saturday and played with them Sunday.To make the covers show up with the story, the cover image must be a JPG or PNG file and be exactly the same name as the story. Once this is done, you should get the covers showing.On the double entry post, you probably didnt double enter the books. The lower line shows what books are on the device and the upper line are the books you have viewed. I found this to be very stange because it tricked us into thinking we double entered the books too.As far as the music names, that is strange. Neither of ours have the song naming problem as they come in with the artist and song names listed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I've got this figured out. The Novel uses the Metadata of a file to display info such as title, author, artist, etc. of a epub or mp3 file. Metadata is information about the file, included with the file as a tag. All of the files I was having issues with were files that I converted from another format to epub or mp3. Any file I've downloaded from Barnes and Noble, or downloaded directly as an mp3 file, has displayed correctly. Apparently when converting files from one format to another, in most cases the Metadata gets lost. So, it's basically just a matter of restoring the Metadata tags, and the Novel displays the info just fine. For mp3 files, iTunes will reconvert the tags, although there are stand alone apps that will do this, also. For epubs, I recommend a program called Calibre. This is a super-powerful e-reader conversion program that offers a LOT of flexibility for converting files, including covers, and editing Metadata tags of epubs.Hope this helps. I'm more impressed with the Pandigital Novel everyday, maybe I'm easy to please, but my experience with it so far has been very good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
An epub is basically a zip archive. Open it up as a zip file, stick your cover in the root of the archive as 'cover.jpg' (sans quotes), resave the file as necessary, and poof, you've got a cover at import and beyond. Or so I've discovered; maybe there's a better way, I don't know, but this has worked for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts