Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
As lambstone and others have mentioned, the default case that Chuwi has created for the v88 is pretty hideous. There are slew of cases for the IPAD Mini so it would seem logical to try and find an IPAD Mini case variety that would also fit the v88. The problem is the v88 is slightly larger, both in width and height, vs. the IPAD Mini. Below are the dimensional specs for both the IPAD Mini and v88:

IPAD Mini: 200mm x 134.7mm x 7.2mm
Chuwi v88: 201mm x 136.6mm x 7.2mm

For this reason, IPAD mini cases, which use formed plastic to secure/protect the tablet, offer no flexibility and therefore will not work for the v88 (hence the reason in lambstone's retrofitted case guide the plastic molding was removed).

In my mind, the best case would be a combination of three things:
1. Stylish
2. Protective
3. Sleep/Wake function

Please report your success/failures in the thread below. When reviewing your product, please provide a link to your product as well as how well the case functioned with the v88. It would be great if you could touch upon style, protection and wake/sleep functionality in your review.

Thanks,

smithmal

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was trying to work out if the Ipad mini smart cover would work, as it's magnetised onto the tablet. Haven't found anyone with one to try with though, and haven't had a chance to head down town to see.

Any thoughts?

·
FW Developer
710 Posts
I was trying to work out if the Ipad mini smart cover would work, as it's magnetised onto the tablet. Haven't found anyone with one to try with though, and haven't had a chance to head down town to see.

Any thoughts?
Nope. Google how the smart cover works and you'll find that out v88 is lacking one crucial component.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Case Review: Snugg iPad Mini Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand with Elastic Hand Strap and Premium Nubuck Fibre Interior (Black) - Automatically Wakes and Puts the iPad Mini to Sleep
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0092PZZLS

To get a better appreciation of the style and functionality of this case check out a YouTube review here (not made by me).

The case is available in a variety of colors (see pic below), but I choose black (which is cheaper in price - $24.99 shipped).

1. Does it fit?

Yes, it does fit, but there are of course port access issues since this case was built with the IPAD mini in mind. Below is a list noting which ports have access when the tablet is placed in the case. Front camera orientation is used as an indicator to the tablet orientation.

Access when the tablet is positioned so the front camera is on the right side:
- Front camera
- Back camera
- HDMI port
- SD Card port
- Headphone port
- Microphone
- Reset button

Not accessible:
- Volume Rockers
- Power Toggle
- Power Port
- mini USB port

Access when the tablet is positioned so the front camera is on the left side:
- Front camera
- HDMI port
- mini USB port
- SD Card port
- Microphone
- Reset button

Not accessible:
- Volume Rockers
- Power Toggle
- Power Port
- Headphone port

Access to the volume rockers and power toggle is problematic but can be overcome. In the case of the volume rocker buttons, volume soft buttons are provided in the software task bar. In the case of the power button, the tablet can be commanded into sleep/wake using the case magnet (more about that below). The fact that both the volume rocker and power button is on the back of the tablet instead of the side bezel and/or on the front pretty much makes all cases not built for the v88 problematic. Putting these buttons on the back was a questionable design move by Chuwi especially in regards to the functionality of a tablet case.

Non-access to the power port is more of an issue. At the moment, the side straps (higher or lower depending upon how you orient the tablet in the case), which helps hold the tablet in place, cover the power port regardless of which orientation the tablet is placed into the tablet (see 2nd pic above for side strap location). The port is accessible if the tablet is pulled slightly out of the case (which is not optimal) and/or one of the side straps is amended in some fashion. The side strap just covers the power port so it is possible to make a small amendment to the strap to confer access.

Edit: I've amended two of the side straps with some scissors and now the power port is completely exposed.

2. Stylistic

You can decide for yourself (from the YouTube review) what you think of the style of the case. To me, it looks sleek and the imitation leather looks real. I like the fact that it also employs a holding strap as well as a clasp to allow the tablet to be laid at an angle when viewing from a table. I would have preferred the corners to be more protected and don't really see a need for a stylus holder (which I may decide to remove). Overall I'm impressed with the quality of the case material.

3. Wake/Sleep function

As mentioned before, the tablet does have the ability to sleep/wake using a properly designed case. The v88's sleep/wake sensor (if looking at it with the camera on the left) is underneath the front bezel parallel to the power port. Unfortunately the Apple mini is in the bottom right corner so the magnet built into the case is not in the correct location. The sleep wake function can still be used if the case flap is pulled up about an inch. At the moment, I'm using the Sleep Lock app on my home screen which use to put the tablet to sleep. I then wake it by temporarily pulling the flap up. Obviously this is not optimal. I did some experiments with some magnets to see how strong the magnet needed to be to activate the sleep/wake sensor for the v88. Your standard refrigerator magnet was too weak. I also have some stronger rare earth magnets which we use to hold the heavy stuff on the refrigerator and that worked without issue. For this reason I purchased some small rare earth magnets which I will be gluing to the case in the correct location once I receive them.

Edit: Glued a magnet into the appropriate location on the case and now it's a fully functional sleep/wake case. See post below for more info on this mod.

So there are some good points and not-so good points with this case. I'm very happy with the quality and the fact that the tablet fits well into the case. It looks sleek and appears well fitted for the tablet. There are some port access issues as well as a sleep/wake issue which hopefully I'll fix using a well placed magnet. All in all, I am pleased with this case, at least until Chuwi comes out with something better.

smithmal

·
Registered
32 Posts
Case Review: Snugg iPad Mini Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand with Elastic Hand Strap and Premium Nubuck Fibre Interior (Black) - Automatically Wakes and Puts the iPad Mini to Sleep
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0092PZZLS

To get a better appreciation of the style and functionality of this case check out a YouTube review here (not made by me).

1. Does it fit?

Yes, it does fit, but there are of course port access issues since this case was built with the IPAD mini in mind. Below is a list noting which ports have access when the tablet is placed in the case. Front camera orientation is used as an indicator to the tablet orientation.

Access when the tablet is positioned so the front camera is on the right side:
- Front camera
- Back camera
- HDMI port
- SD Card port
- Headphone port
- Microphone
- Reset button

Not accessible:
- Volume Rockers
- Power Toggle
- Power Port
- mini USB port

Access when the tablet is positioned so the front camera is on the left side:
- Front camera
- HDMI port
- mini USB port
- SD Card port
- Microphone
- Reset button

Not accessible:
- Volume Rockers
- Power Toggle
- Power Port
- Headphone port

Access to the volume rockers and power toggle is problematic but can be overcome. In the case of the volume rocker buttons, volume soft buttons are provided in the software task bar. In the case of the power button, the tablet can be commanded into sleep/wake using the case magnet (more about that below). The fact that both the volume rocker and power button is on the back of the tablet instead of the side bezel and/or on the front pretty much makes all cases not built for the v88 problematic. Putting these buttons on the back was a questionable design move by Chuwi especially in regards to the functionality of a tablet case.

Non-access to the power port is more of an issue. At the moment, the lower side strap, which helps hold the tablet in place, cover the power port regardless of which orientation the tablet is placed into the tablet. The port is accessible if the tablet is pulled slightly out of the case (which is not optimal) and/or one of the side straps is amended in some fashion. The side strap just covers the power port so it is possible to make a small amendment to the strap to confer access.

2. Stylistic

You can decide for yourself (from the YouTube review) what you think of the style of the case. To me, it looks sleek and the imitation leather looks real. I like the fact that it also employs a holding strap as well as a clasp to allow the tablet to be laid at an angle when viewing from a table. I would have preferred the corners to be more protected and don't really see a need for a stylus holder (which I may decide to remove). Overall I'm impressed with the quality of the case material.

3. Wake/Sleep function

As mentioned before, the tablet does have the ability to sleep/wake using a properly designed case. The v88s sleep/wake sensor (if looking at it with the camera on the left) is underneath the front bezel parallel to the power port. Unfortunately the Apple mini is in the bottom right corner so the magnet built into the case is not in the correct location. The sleep wake function can still be used if the case flap is pulled up about an inch. At the moment, I'm using the Sleep Lock app on my home screen which use to put the tablet to sleep. I then wake it by temporarily pulling the flap up. Obviously this is not optimal. I did some experiments with some magnets to see how strong the magnet needed to be to activate the sleep/wake sensor for the v88. Your standard refrigerator magnet was too weak. I also have some stronger rare earth magnets which we use to hold the heavy stuff on the refrigerator and that worked without issue. For this reason I purchased some small rare earth magnets which I will be gluing to the case in the correct location once I receive them.

So there are some good points and not-so good points with this case. I'm very happy with the quality and the fact that the tablet fits well into the case. It looks sleek and appears well fitted for the tablet. There are some port access issues as well as a sleep/wake issue which hopefully I'll fix using a well placed magnet. All in all, I am pleased with this case, at least until Chuwi comes out with something better.

smithmal
Thank you for this very good and informative post! I am in the process of building my own Moleskin-type case by following this guide: http://www.themoderndaypirates.com/pirates/2010/06/how-to-make-a-moleskine-ipad-case/

I'm using rare earth magnets for the sleep/wake function and it is working very well!

The buttons on the back side is more problomatic though, and my only sulotion so far is making a cut-out for those on the back of the case.

This is still just a prototype, the final product will be covered in brown faux-leather and have a lining of red faux-suade.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Gahrgamel,

Great post. Is there a reason why you are using four magnets instead of one? Also, where did you get your magnets from? Since you're custom designing yours, did you have any thoughts of how to deal with the access issues of the back rocker and power buttons? I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.

smithmal

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have spent far more time Googling this than the subject is worth and I think this is as good as we're likely to get. Available from a well known auction site that dare not speak its name.I'm happy with it, given the alternatives. $14.99 with free shipping to the US.

Fits perfectly: it is a "universal" case with ipad mini dimensions. The elasticized "claws" are very well thought out and do not block *any* of the bottom ports. Of course due to Chuwi's bad decision on the volume and power buttons, they are not in the clear but it's easy enough to slip your finger between the back of the tablet and the case to get at them. There's no hole for the back camera (it's a "universal" case, remember). Closing the case does not put the tablet to sleep (no magnets). None of these things bother me at all, given the case's excellent fit (and finish). The claws (which of course would look better in white) are not nearly as ugly as the black elastic used in the cheapo Chinese universal cases. It should be noted that the official case leaves room all around the device so that the back camera is exposed and the buttons are accessible, which is . . . odd. It's like OMG, we really didn't design this thing too well so now we have to offer a really funky case to make it work.

Whatever. This is a discontinued item by a legit luggage manufacturer, KroO. It's the Accord model and there's actually a video for it. LOL.

The outside has a nice pleathery finish without trying too hard to pass for leather. Available colors as of today are hot pink, rose pink, red and black. I had to wait for the black to come back into stock. Blue appears to be sold out but the vendor is responsive to questions about stock.

So after about ten days most of my issues with the V88 are resolved or I can live with them. I've learned a heck of a lot about Android and ROMs in the meantime. Hope they get around to a 4.2 update.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
zazoupazou, is your neoprene a case or a sleeve?

CBM, thanks for the review. From the pic, it looks like the corner "claws" are pretty large. The HDMI port for the tablet is almost at the bottom corner of the tablet. I would think that the "claws" would cover this up. Is this not the case? This could be a good solution and gluing in a magnet would solve your sleep/wake functionality issue.

smithmal

·
Registered
77 Posts
As I said, *all* ports are in the clear and I could care less about "auto-sleep." Frankly I consider that an Apple thing.

Sent from my Chuwi V88 using Tapatalk HD.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Right now I'm using a no-name case I found on that big famous "online auction bay website". The item is titled:
"Leather Case Stand USB 2.0 Keyboard for 8" Tablet MID Bundle Micro OTG Adapter"

This is an adgenda style faux-leather case with a flip stand and a built-in mini USB keyboard. It also comes with an OTG cable needed to hook the keyboard up to the tablet.

My thoughts? This could be a fantastic case for anyone who prefers a real keyboard for typing emails, blogs posts, etc. But it's not. It's hamstrung by several serious flaws.

In decreasing order of severity the flaws are:
1) Insecure grip on tablet. This morning (day 2 with the case and tablet) the tablet shot out of the side of the case as I was hurrying down a flight of stairs. The tablet tumbled down the stairs and was scuffed up, but miraculously the screen was undamaged. Huge fail. The design flaw is that the tablet is held in by tension only on the long edges of the tablet. The tablet can slide out of the case quite easily. Yikes! I'm thinking of trying to apply some grippy tape onto the case, like you might use on a tennis racket, and see if that helps secure the tablet. Be... very.. careful...

2) Horrible keyboard layout. From a photo the tablet looks like you could touch-type with it if you don't have large hands. It's very cramped, but I was almost able to touch-type on it, with the exception of one important key- the space bar. Instead of your thumbs resting on the space bar (as they ought to), they will rest way down off of the bottom of the keyboard. If you're like me you will find your thumb desperately bounding the case below the keyboard, missing by a mile. It's a darn shame, because there was plenty of vertical space to avoid the whole problem. If you hunt-and-peck with your index fingers, this keyboard is usable however. The key feel is actually surprisingly nice and the location of most keys are pretty much where you would want them.

3) Bad choice of OTG cable. The OTG cable provided (by that seller, at any rate) is a bad choice for this case for two reasons. The first reason is the cable is straight instead of a 90 degree cable. This means that the OTG cable sticks awkwardly out of the side of the device about 6 inches when in use. The other problem with it is that the full-size female end has exposed metal edges that could easily scratch up you tablet if you fold it up inside the case with your tablet. Also the keyboard cable seems a bit flimsy. At any rate, this thing should have come with a micro-usb connector instead of a full-size one. One could try to solder on a micro-USB end to the cable, I suppose.

Okay, so what's good about it:
1) Build quality seems pretty nice. It's not real leather, despite the description, but I'm vegan, so I like that about it. Stitching looks good and solid.

2) The magnet closure flap seems strong enough to hold the case closed well enough.

3) The kickstand works pretty well on a desk or table. It provides a good viewing angle for the tablet. Also the magnet in the kickstand keeps the kickstand tucked in to the case when not in use.

4) Nice size. This is a universal case, and this tablet is on the small size for an 8-incher. That means that the case is considerably larger in all dimensions than it needs to be. However, the overall size of the package is still pretty portable. It's a way smaller than a laptop or a full-size iPad, for instance. If I wasn't afraid of the tablet flying out of the thing, I would have no problem taking this package just about everywhere with me.

5) It's stupid cheap.

If I can't fix the problem of the tablet sliding out of this thing and on to the floor it will probably go into the garbage. If I can fix it I'll probably hang onto it until/unless I find a better case with a keyboard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going to take a gamble and order a TPU gel rubber case. We use them for our phones now and they are fairly flexible to the point that I may be able to streth it the extra mm or 2.

Link

This one even looks like the camera and most of the ports/buttons will be open, or close to the correct positioning. Excluding the HDMI and USB which I rarely use. I may need to adjust the size of the openings, add a speaker slot, and have a couple extra unused holes, but I'm willing to chance it.

Rubber case

This one is more of a rubber material than a gel. From experience these are far more flexible, but the size/location of the holes seems slightly more problematic.

I think I'm ordering the gel version today. Will update.

Edit - Also ordering one of thesefor the wife. If it's not close enough I'm going to use the lambstone method to modify.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just for your info for those who are needing magnets for their cases, I cut out the ones in the Chuwi case that came with the tab. They're tiny but seriously strong, and stuck 1 into a padded case for the Ipad (similar to the Belkin quilted padded one) on the inside, and it works fine now. The only real issue I have is that it makes the tab feel very thick and heavy now compared to it's actual weight and size, and you can't get to all the ports. Shane they didn't stick with the same size as the Ipad Mini, as there are (obviously) so many of them available.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the link. The ones I purchased on amazon are slightly smaller in length (6.35mm), but slightly thicker in size (1.59mm). Should be getting them in today. Now I just gotta figure out how to add one to my case without it looking like I added one to my case. I'm thinking about using a razor blade to make a small incision and then slide the magnet into the double layered side. Hopefully with some super glue it will stay put unless someone has a better idea.

smithmal

·
Registered
23 Posts
Received our v88 smart covers today. These are temporary for now, but so far I'm liking it. The auto on/off works great. As is the built in stand, which also works as a nice "handle" when holding in portrait one-handed. Lack of edge protection is a deal breaker for me though. Something other than pastels would have been nice also.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Got my magnets in and placed one in the "sweet spot." Tablet wake/sleep now works with this case is it should. My only problem now is I have a bunch left over and nothing to do with them. If anyone's interested in getting some to mod your case PM and I'll ship a couple your way for $1 (via paypal).

smithmal

·
Registered
227 Posts
fortunately while travelling in Shenzhen i bought V88 along with its original leather cover (blue ones) and bought one for use with my onda v818 also, bought it in SEM (Shenzhen Electronic Market) just across SEG Building.

the case is good, but no protection for right side corner, as it exposed,
it has engrave chuwi logo on the corner.

case stick to device using 2 of some kind of non residual sticker (removeable)

magnet works ok for turnon-off device, and another magnet for make a triagle stand fix.

got it for 40 CNY each..

ps: i'm not affiliate with below web, but if anyone interested, i found some seller in google.
http://www.umitablets.com/folio-leather-stand-case-cover-for-chuwi-v88-tablet-pc-041388.html#.UbAMRisW3Zg

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey,
here's my a review of the case I finally settled on for my chuwi v88.

After quite a bit of speculation I decided to opt for a ipad mini case from www.lentedesigns.com
They are a small design company based in the uk and they hate PU or 'fake'leather so most of their cases are made from canvas fabric.
If you're looking for something a bit less 'run of the mill' then have a look.

www.lentedesigns.com/ekmps/shops/lentedesigns1/

Okay so here is what it looks like, how it fits and which buttons and ports you can and can't access.

Overall the fit is really good and snug.

There was no problem putting the tab in the case and to be honest it is as if it was made for it.
As this is a folio type case, with a slotted window, the sides of the tab are covered and protected and there are no issues with the extra couple of mm's of length and width that the chuwi has compared to the ipad mini.

The magnet sleep wake funtion works perfectly. No need to buy magnets and fiddle about with all that.

It has the three fold front cover which flips over to make a small triangular base, although the magnet sleep is recativated when you do this, so can just lift it off breifly and replace, to toggle it back on.

okay, so far so good.

you can't really access the power and volume rocker on the back, but that isn't such an issue for me, as i use the
on-screen volume keys and the tab wakes and sleeps via the magnet. So, other than to reboot, I don't use the buttons on the back of the tab that much.

On the port side of the tab, the headphone, power charge, microphone and sd card slot are all easily accessible, leaving the HDMI and USB covered.

The back cam is (just about) available, It looks like it might shadow the lens as the chuwi cam dosen't sit dead cenre in this hole, but hey, I don't know anyone who catually takes snaps on their tab, however, if that's your thing then, it works fine and there is no shadow.

The front cam and the mysterious reset? button are also available.

All in all its a great little case. Light and thin. Well made and not too expensive at £19.00 including postage.

Hope this is of use to someone.

I think the general note here is, most mini ipad folio cases are gonna fit your chuwi v88.
View attachment 22865
View attachment 22873
View attachment 22881
View attachment 22889
View attachment 22897

1 - 20 of 102 Posts