Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is assuming you followed Nate's guide to installing a home screen located in another thread and are at the point where you want to start installing .apk. First, you have to get to the command prompt.Most of us just use run by clicking Start menu > Run.We then type in "cmd" and hit enter.We have to change directory to the location of the folder where ADB.exe is.You might want to put the APKs you are trying to install within the same folder.
Next, we have to execute the ADB program in order to run ADB.
This is an optional step: I like to run this command to make sure that the pandigital is in debug mode and the computer can actually detect the Pandigital Novel using the ADB USB daemon.
Finally, here is the command to actually install an APK.
There have been posted problems associated with installing more than one at a time but I think this is rare as I have not ran into this problem.I highly recommend installing apkinstaller.apk or something similar as the first thing you put on your PDN. This will allow you to install .apk off of your sdcard.Let me know what you think of this method.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice tutorial. I was looking for something like this yesterday. I managed to figure it out. For the noobs I would probably specify that you are going to the command prompt on your computer, not on the Novel.I installed a bunch of apk's I grabbed from my Incredible via OnTheFly Backup although I realized later I could have just used Astro. No problems installing a bunch all at the same time. Although I remembered reading somewhere that you should do an adb reboot command at the end. Don't know if that helped or not, but I did it.The first apk I installed was Astro (great program, I paid for Pro). That let me install apk's right from the SD card. I tried AppBrain, but it crashed when it tried to send me to the Market to install stuff. I actually had an apk for the Market app too, but that didn't work. I tried Appoke too, but I'm not exactly sure how that is supposed to work. I also need to play around with DoubleTwist.A lot of newer apk's failed during install - i.e. Seemic, Twitter. Installed a few video players but I don't have any video files on there yet. Still need to play around with that.Pandora works great. Dropbox was fantastic. I dumped all my apk's in there. Evernote is on there now. The Facebook app works and looks fantastic. Instant Buttons works. ;) Installed a bunch of alternate eBook readers - Aldiko, Kindle, eReader etc. Opera works great but I had to change a setting to get it to connect.I installed Sound Manager to be able to adjust volume a little quicker. Can someone make a toggle button to be able to switch back and forth?I tried Swype but the ver I have didn't work. Curious how Swype or Shapewriter will work on these screens.Really having fun playing around with this thing! Thanks to everyone for all the tips, tricks and tutorials.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How do you install a zipped program? When I unzipped the file, there was no "apk" file in the unzipped folder? I tried to place the zipped files on the SD card and see if the PDN would recognize the files with the normal PDN interface...no luck. Then I tried to read the SD card with Panda Home and Launcher Pro and still no luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='rac83;24129]How do you install a zipped program? When I unzipped the file' date=' there was no "apk" file in the unzipped folder? I tried to place the zipped files on the SD card and see if the PDN would recognize the files with the normal PDN interface...no luck. Then I tried to read the SD card with Panda Home and Launcher Pro and still no luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE'] Does the file name look something like this filename.apk.zip? If it does then rename it so it looks like this filename.apk. Then install it. Far as I know Android does not install .zip extension files (.apk is a compressed file like zip).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.