Android Tablets Forum banner

USB Host Support

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  DrilLer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#2 ·
Is USB Host mode supported on the latest firmwares on the A81E? (over the sole USB port, the mini one.) (A81E = older model before the full-sized USB A port was added.) I think I read that maybe the A81E USB host mode can work for data, but it can't send power. I've looked around the forum a lot but could not get a clear answer.I have:-my A81E with with a Female-Mini-B USB port-a Mini-Male-B (what goes into the A81E) to Female-A USB cable. (I've confirmed this cable works with a convoluted A to A setup.) (See image below.)-I can plug into the cable my standard Male-A devices like my basic USB keyboard, USB flash drives, and my USB flash light. However on my A81E running the stock 1122 ROM:-These USB devices never seem to get power-They never light up-They never work in any way.-The A81E never seems to register them (eg. I never see a /dev/sda device for my flash drive.)-I've tried resetting the device completely by removing the AC power connector and the battery, then reinserting them, plugging in my usb cable/device, and then turning the system on. Still nothing happens with the USB devices. -Hooking my A81E upto my desktop seems to work fine, the debugger option immediately pops up on my A81E.Any advice?

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Linw, actually you can get 5Vout of 3.7V using a DC-DC converter, or a charge pump. I suspect wits has added that circuitry to the A81G. Otherwise, as you mention, you have to use a powered hub , as is the case with the A81E.Figured this out while I was exploring how to add a full USB spec. (ie 5V) port to my A81E.Here is a 300mA version that will take 1.5V-4V and convert to 5V. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8290

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.