Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i get one of the USB OTG host adapters and plug it into my SN with a USB GPS stick, what else does it take to get Android to recognize it and use it for location? I assume some kind of a driver is needed; is anyone working on that?

PS I tried to search for gps but i was told my search word was too short.

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have not tried a USB GPS, but I have tried Bluetooth.
I used my phones Bluetooth as a feed, and Bluetooth GPS apk on the tablet. Worked with Sygic navigator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not tried a USB GPS, but I have tried Bluetooth.
I used my phones Bluetooth as a feed, and Bluetooth GPS apk on the tablet. Worked with Sygic navigator.
Hi,

Is there any chance of using a bluetooth dongle on my tablet (ONN N3T, RK2918 chipset) with USB On The Go? It doesn't have bluetooth support, it seems, although is running Android 4.03 ICS. If that works, I plan connecting an external bluetooth GPS receiver that I have laying around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If i get one of the USB OTG host adapters and plug it into my SN with a USB GPS stick, what else does it take to get Android to recognize it and use it for location? I assume some kind of a driver is needed; is anyone working on that?

PS I tried to search for gps but i was told my search word was too short.

Thanks,

Al
First, Most if not all USB gps devices under linux use some Serial to USB conversion
Second, GPS NMEA is mostly a serial protocol

So to get the GPS data into the OS you probably need a USBserial driver (like the pl2303 or cp210x) and you also gonna need the core USBserial drivers
Once these drivers work and the USB GPS stick is detected, then linux OS part of andriod wil get a ttyUSB* device. reading from this device will receive the gps data.
How to get these devices drivers (kernel modules) compatible with your device is gonna be the hardest part.

Once the OS knows the GPS device as a ttyUSB then to make this GPS data avalable to the Android environment you will need a android serialgps library.
The x86 android opensource tree has a serialgps library that can also be compiled for any arm based android

To get al this working can take an insane amount of work (if at all possible)
I myself succesfully did it for a fview 7" pro [a rk2918 based tablet see elswhere on the forum for detail] but i took me about 6 months (and it's only complatible whith that specific type of tablet)

So if you want GPS i advice you to look for other options
- you your tab has bluetooth, a bt-based gps will be easyer to acomplish
- if you also have a android smartphone with GPS you cold loop for wifi gps theter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts