Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy an 8'' tablet but im stuck on which to get. my main concerns are usb charge, hardware buttons, hi resolution (ips doesnt really matter)must be slim, and decent battery.
my options... p85, momo8,pipo s2. which of these can usb charge? thanks in advance.

cheers!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I want to buy an 8'' tablet but im stuck on which to get. my main concerns are usb charge, hardware buttons, hi resolution (ips doesnt really matter)must be slim, and decent battery.
my options... p85, momo8,pipo s2. which of these can usb charge? thanks in advance.

cheers!
The P85 definitely charges through the USB port. You have to watch that a computer USB is a charging port, and most of them don't really give enough power to charge properly. This is not unusual, as many devices really need a dual USB lead to feed them power, such as an external hard drive with my Asus Netbook, or the addition of an external power supply. For a power source, even a designated USB charge port really is limited by the amperage it can supply.

For the size of the device, and maybe the state of the driver development (are the rather good power saving hooks in the Android kernel, and the driver exploitation of them, really anywhere near optimum yet? I doubt it), the battery isn't actually that bad, if you switch off all the Google rubbish, the syncing, the Cloud nonsense, and background updates, when running off battery (I switch the stuff off anyway, only check for updates when I want to, and that's when I am using the P85 connected to the charger). You also have to watch that a rogue application isn't going nuts with your resources, including the battery in the process.

With wifi off and the device put into standby and left, it'll do a couple of days easy. That says the basic power management is ok. If I am going to be doing anything on the internet for an extended period, I do it with my 2 amp microprocessor controlled smart charger plugged in (there's a decent enough length of lead with it, and they are cheap as chips on *****###########***** off reputable sellers). Neither the charger nor the tablet even begin to heat up with such heavy use, but then again, I refuse to game on a device with poor ventilation and cooling (e.g. a laptop), let alone non existent ventilation and cooling (a tablet). Heat dramatically reduces the reliability and service life of such devices, so I am well impressed at the running temperatures in normal use.

The hardware buttons seem to be rather nice, and hopefully point to achieving a long service life. I am sure the IPS screen is better on the HD model, but personally, I am more than happy with the G+G screen on the standard one (and I have used IPS screens on other devices). The P85 is certainly slim, and I for one wouldn't be terribly upset if it was less slim, because that would allow a bigger battery to be fitted.

Chasing slimness because of improved batteries and efficiencies, therefore reducing the battery life back to square one, doesn't seem the most sensible direction to take, but as things are with the P85, it easily works where I want it to work and when I want it to work (largely thanks to that excellent charger I picked up), so no big deal.

Hope that helps, good luck with whatever you get, and of those you listed I would probably be tempted most by the new momo8, but that is due to the excellent reputation of the UK Ployer agent, and the well documented level of service and support provided by them, which as a valuable convenience to a customer, is worth far more than a small premium in price (check out GTR Electronics feedback on Amazon, which was how I came across them). But that isn't to say that the Teclast P85 isn't a seriously good device, obviously, because it really is.

I have no experience with the pipo, so can't comment on that, other than to say it looks very nice, and I like the features.

*****###########***** Seriously, this petty approach to sites such as Eeeeeeebayeeeeeee, has about finished me with this site. If this is what you think is encouraging and helping your userbase, I'll see you around, but not if I see you first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i am also wondering about this, i got a 2.1a portable charger
if i bought a usb to dc2.5mm cable does it work? charge the P85HD using portable charger

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think so, my 10000mAh powerbank with max. 1.5 amp output does charge the P85 HD trough a lead as you describe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think so, my 10000mAh powerbank with max. 1.5 amp output does charge the P85 HD trough a lead as you describe.
that's great
how's the charging speed? almost same like charge through the official charger? or slower?
i got a 10400mAh with 2 usb output 1a and 2.1a so if like you said then i can charge it without any issues ^^

·
Registered
436 Posts
Slower, charging and using the tab, battery keeps his level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts