Android Tablets Forum banner

USA: Pandigital Novel eReader (Android, 7 in., 800x600, 1GB) at Kohls/JCPenney

8K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  zsmomma 
#1 ·
This is copied from SlickDeals.net. I'm holding out on buying the SmartQ V7 so I can buy this tablet and have the satisfaction of knowing if it breaks I can return it with a 10 minute drive. So far it looks like it's going to have a better resolution screen than any of the current model tablets on the market, has a Samsung ARM11 667mhz CPU, only 1GB of internal storage with an SDHC slot, WiFi, and I can't tell for sure which version of Android it's running, but it's definitely Android. I had planned on purchasing a SmartQ V7 before I saw this, but now that I know I can pick it up for $150ish locally this is going to be the slate I get for sure.Pandigital Novel eBook Reader / Tablet with Android OS 159.99 AR (maybe less with coupons) at Kohl's Starts June 9Kohl's going to have the Pandigital Novel eBook Reader on sale starting June 9 to 16 for $159.99 after $15 rebate (original Price on Kohl's website is $259.99 but MSRP is actually 199.99). The sale is listed in next weeks Kohl's ad and you might be able to save more with Kohl's coupons.UPDATE PRICE is $160 after rebate THX meth for the ad copy.Kohl's Card Holders, check your mail for INSTORE coupons (15, 20, 30%) mailed this weekONLINE COUPONS for Kohl's Card Holders:SAVEINJUNE 30% Off Valid 06/09/10 through 06/16/10FREE SHIPPING CODESStackable??)HOME50FREEMYKSHIPPossible Total= $107.50 After Rebate and Coupon, plus any tax and shippinggoogoogejoob's instructions on how to use Kohl's gift cards with the 30% credit card holder discount:http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=30167036&postcount=53Specs: * 1GB internal memory expandable with SD Card slot * 7 inch LCD resistive touch screen 800 x 600 resolution * Runs Android (Android 2.0/2.1 Eclair Confirmed). Arm 11 CPU (Samsung S3C6410XH-53 0810 at 667mhz??) * Full access to B&N ebook store, including the eBook lending feature. * WIFI only (there will be models with celluar access released in the future) * Includes web browser and a couple of other multimedia apps. * 6 Hours battery life in reading mode (wifi off) or 3-4 with Wifi on.This device is based on the Android OS and Pandigital says there will be future firmware update that will allow you to install Android apps on it, however there probably will not be marketplace access until Google lifts its restrictions on non-phone devices.http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=2063286&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524892664553&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374752659824&searchTerm=novel&bmUID=1275969129042More device info:http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=2063286&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://www.techlicious.com/blog/pandigital-novel-a-color-ebook-reader-that-run-android-apps/http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=2063286&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20005624-1.htmlOther:http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=2063286&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://www.pandigital.net/pandigitalnovelhttp://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=2063286&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://www.pandigital.net/?pageid=124

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't understand some of the "online" features. Does it come with a browser? Can you surf the internet or is it just the B&N online store? Is there any RAM? I am realizing this is mainly a digital reader but it's very vague regarding its wifi abilities. Are you familiar with these features please let us know.

#4 ·
[quote author=brie987 link=topic=769.msg6122#msg6122 date=1275997002]I don't understand some of the "online" features. Does it come with a browser? Can you surf the internet or is it just the B&N online store? Is there any RAM? I am realizing this is mainly a digital reader but it's very vague regarding its wifi abilities. Are you familiar with these features please let us know.[/quote]The online features you see in the bottom of those pictures are just normal Android programs...as far as I know it has a Samsung ARM11 667mhz CPU, 128 or 256MB of RAM (probably 128), 1GB of internal storage, 802.11b/g/n Wireless, hardware graphics acceleration, etc. The browser icon I'm betting money will end up being the exact same browser that is standard on the Android platform, same for the video and music player. Right now the installation is pretty customized, but within the next short time period the company promises a firmware update that will allow installation of third party programs via an APK installer. The specs inside of this unit are far ahead of the Eken M001 and the Moonse/aPad. I'm willing to be confined to internet browsing/MP3/DivX movies/etc until newer update comes out, or somebody figures out how to root this device quickly and create a custom ROM for the device. This is pretty much the first USA Android tablet device though that is widely available, so it's pretty much a shoe-in to be hacked to bits and customized within a short period of time (especially considering how cheap the device can be had for). I did the math, and after my 30% off using my Kohl's charge card, 15 dollar rebate, and another coupon I have laying around, I'll be walking out of the store tomorrow morning paying about $115 total for the tablet, and if anything happens I can go exchange it or get a refund within a few minutes. IMO, that guarantee beats out any eBay/Chinese Android tablet seller fifty-fold.

#7 ·
Pandigital has confirmed it is running at least 2.0 (maybe 2.1) that being the case I would guess it has at least 256 MB of ram. I plan to pick one up myself. Pandigital has also shown they are serious about supporting this device they are working on new firmware everyday.

#8 ·
I'm half-way tempted to open this sucker up and take a few snapshots of the internals...I don't know if I can bring myself to open it up though. I would like to see the internals that made it to the consumer market though. Great to know it has 256MB though. As soon as this thing is rooted or is "unlocked" this thing is going to take off like wildfire.

#10 ·
So far after about 4 hours of usage, I've made my decision about this device. I've had the privilege of testing out the Eken M001 several weeks back thanks to a friend who purchased one from China for about $95 shipped, and I must say this device is WAY more responsive than the Eken. I've tested out the majority of the functions of this tablet and it does everything it's supposed to. I have not installed any firmware updates yet, but so far I haven't had any crashes or slowdowns and my WiFi has stayed connected for the entire duration of using the device. The eBook reader application is spot on, and very easy to read. It 'does' seem it slows down after 10-15 minutes of page flipping, but it's still as responsive as it is when you first turn on the unit. The only thing that changes is that the page turning animations look a tad more jerky when the pages turn. The internet browser (same browser in a stock Android ROM) performs adequately for most websites...obviously no Flash support, but all pages are rendered properly and the scrolling is adequate enough that you won't be getting mad waiting for the page to move down farther. MP3s sound very good with the proper headphones...I used some genuine iPod earbuds and music sounds fantastic, with just the right amounts of treble and bass. I watched an episode of Top Gear (the American special) and the video quality is more than adequate for a standard-encoded file. I have not had the chance yet to try out any 720p movies, but I'm almost certain they should play with no problem even though there's no mention of 720p capabilities in any of the product info I've read. Most importantly though the device is light-years ahead of the Eken M001 and considering I paid all of $30 more for this device than what the Eken costs on eBay it's a HUGE bargain. I'd highly recommend that if you are wanting an Android tablet before you buy an Eken off of eBay to go to your local Kohl's if you have one and check this device out. While it's kinda locked down right now to only a few abilities, Pandigital has released 4 firmware updates in the past week for this device, and they've also made it known that there will eventually be a firmware update that will enable third party installations. Their CS is also more than helpful and are dedicated to making sure the customer is completely satisfied with the product. I'm a strong believer in this device now...the only thing now is to see how the hardware will hold up in the long run.

#12 ·
You will not be able to buy one of these for a few more days I was told by a Kohl's employee. Apparently the firmware Pandigital shipped out with the device pisses off the WiFi module inside the device, so they temporarily recalled the device until "techs can come out and update the software on the unit." You can drive to your local Kohl's and walk up to the customer service counter and request a raincheck and they will call you when a tech as stopped by and fixed the devices. All sale prices and discounts will still be available if they are not fixed by the end of the sale period.Also, all devices that were bought before the sale period will be held as well until the updates can be applied to them, so if you ordered one early it won't ship for a few more days.

#14 ·
I said the same thing...I went back this morning to pick up a second one for my parents since they are big book readers, and they had been recalled as of the opening of business this morning. I believe all of the devices are being shipped back to Pandigital so they can update them with the latest firmware and then being shipped back out to the stores. At the very least though, I have a receipt showing the final sale price after discounts and such, so I'll be able to pick up the second tablet for the same price. Personally I think it's good business though...they've acknowledged that the device has a WiFi problem and are correcting the mistake at their own expense so the customer once they receive the tablet won't have any problems with it whatsoever.

#15 ·
http://www.slashgear.com/half-baked-pandigital-novel-gets-recalled-0989166/After early users reported multiple problems with the ereader device, Pandigital has apparently decided to recall the Android-based Novel. Owner Nate has been in touch with Kohl?s telephone support, who have confirmed that owners can send back their tablets for a full refund. Among the problems reported were patchy touchscreen responsiveness, sluggish browsing and WiFi that was reluctant to connect.There?s no detail on the Pandigital site itself, at least at time of writing, but we imagine that if owners of the Novel ring the customer care number in their documentation they should be able to find out the full process. As for when it gets re-released, it?ll apparently still be running Android 2.0, as it is now, and Pandigital promise you?ll eventually be able to install applications yourself (though it?s not clear if that will be through the Android Market).Update: Nate has been in touch to confirm that he spoke to Kohl?s customer service, not Pandigital?s, and that Pandigital have said this is a software recall. Once the new firmware is loaded the Novel will be back on shelves.

#18 ·
Go on Pandigital's website and look at their distributors. Kmart is in there, bed bath and beyond is in there, I think macy's... Remember, they truncated the rollout, and so technically NO ONE sells it yet.

#19 ·
I can confirm that within a few months the device will be sold at Staples and Sears, but even Pandigital CS has no knowledge of when they will arrive. On Pandigital's front page they also have BJ's Wholesale Club, Kmart, Blackphoto, and Bartell Drugs listed, but nobody is sure if they will actually stock and sell the Novel. Once the black Novel is released I imagine it will be seen at a few more stores besides Kohl's and JC Penney.

#20 ·
I think the black is supposed to have 3g. I expect it to be a more limited rollout than the white. More complicated, more expensive, not their primary target market.

#22 ·
You are correct - I rounded up g. More g than the white, in any event, making it less ideal for their target market who shop for tech at kohls, kmart, bed bath and beyond, etc. The target market for the novel does not frequent websites like this... Otherwise their promotional material would ooze processor speed information, and the device wouldn't show me the page turning.

#23 ·
Haha true...it's going to end up being a pain in the ass having to download megabytes worth of PDF files and books onto the device over EDGE though considering your maximum download speed is roughly 150kbps (or 18-20 kilobytes/sec). A single 5 megabyte novel could end up taking 4-5 minutes to download completely, and that's only if you have a strong signal. At least for my usage I already have most of the books I want on my device in PDF format, such as my college textbooks, a virtual subscription to PC magazine, and the last 2 years of Playboy in PDF format...I seriously doubt I'll be buying any novels on the actual device itself though, and if I did I would most certainly download them from a WiFi connection.

#24 ·
Playboy on pdf... So noted. Looking at your signature, did you mean Playgirl?My question is whether you'll have to pay for Edge. Seriously? That would mean you were literally paying for a 2gb micro sd card instead of a 1gb micro sd card (the inborne memory is stored on the sd card it ships with) and a less than usable wireless service that you had to pay a monthly fee for. At which point I'll keep my white and wait for the next generation of devices. Either way, the gui better be silky smooth on the white before I even consider the black.

#25 ·
I highly doubt that they would charge for EDGE service, only because the nook has a 3G connection that's completely free of charge (of course it's limited to only downloading readable content from the Barnes and Noble online store thingamabobber). I know I sure as hell wouldn't pay for EDGE service since it's so slow and there's a wireless hotspot just about everywhere you step these days.P.S. I couldn't think of anything to put in my signature when I was modifying my profile, and saying vagina over and over again isn't quite as ridiculous sounding as penis is. Plus I had been drinking...didn't help the situation much.

#26 ·
[quote name='bmurphr1;7320]P.S. I couldn't think of anything to put in my signature when I was modifying my profile' date=' and saying vagina over and over again isn't quite as ridiculous sounding as penis is. Plus I had been drinking...didn't help the situation much.[/QUOTE'] Soooo, as Dave Chapelle says in Blue Streak.... "GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY!!" Not that there's anything wrong with this, but when you're drunk, and your inhibitions are gone, you're telling me that with 2 years of playboys on pdf, all you can think about is... penis? Penis? Really?Yeah, I can't imagine charging for Edge. However, I can imagine ATT charging for Edge, because it will use up system resources. If not, I can see them limiting use of edge to downloading books or something. Otherwise, they're going to have serious bandwidth problems if these things get popular. I also don't really see the need for always on wireless. I have a blackberry. My laptop doesn't have always on wireless. When do people stop working if they're always connected to everything? Anyway, if they can't sort this one out, they may never get around to the black, frankly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.