Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
List below are models suspected of containing the RK3288 SoC. Components and prices will be updated as specs become available:

Possible Tablets Models using RK3288 SoC:

Manufacturer: iFive

Model: TBA

Form Factor: TBA

RAM (MB): TBA

NAND Type: TBA

Battery Size (mAh): TBA

Release Date: TBA

Estimated Cost: TBA

Manufacturer: Yuandao

Model: Vido M12

Manufacturer: Chuwi

Model: TBA

Please discuss prospective models and specs below.

Thanks,

smithmal

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
True, but comparing one Chinese tablet with another using Antutu is comparing apples with apples.
Still a bit irrelevant metric. Antutu won't show if the GPU can handle the screen rez. RK3188 scored pretty good in Antutu but ipod resolution was bit too much for it.

In any case based on my experience so far I'll try to get a specimen that has decent flash memory on the next round. You pretty much have to ask people who already have one to run androbench to find out, for some reason manufacturers won't advertise the fact even when they have the superior product (Ramos i9).

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I expected more to be going on here. :p

So basicly for the time we've got PiPO being really on top of this...

10.1"

PiPO P9 | [..]

9.7"

PiPO P1 | [..]

8.9"

PiPO P4 | P90HD (but only availlable in white?) | [..]

7.9"

PiPO P8 | [..]

Haven't seen much else than that. The P4 seems closest to what I would want to go and get. The M7 Pro of mine needs replacing... :lol:

And as always keep youself updated by checking sites such as:

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
TNT has been waiting, and waiting, and waiting on the RK3288. I am glad at least that rockchip finalized the architecture on Cortex A17!

Off topic.. We have also been discussing at length the possibility of selling phones.But this would mean moving away from the Rockchip SoC as they have yet to really make a chipset that gets featured in any mobiles hence our hesitation as we have really liked what Rockchip has produced historically.

That being said, I have two phones of excellent quality from Xiaomi... the Mi3 and the Redmi 1s, one is snapdragon 800 and the other snapdragon 400.

Pricing would be the kicker :( - the Mi3 would hit near the $300 mark delivered and the Redmi 1s probably around the $200 mark. Both are great devices and worth the money if they come fully "westernized" imho as that was one of the things I spent weeks doing, but I am not sure that the general retail crowd would bite at that price.

Regards,

Roman

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, I know a couple of people ordering the PiPO P4 from like AliExpress and Banggood. And I believe two or three other RK3288 tablets should be on the market as we speak as well.

I've actually expected people to be more into the new generation, than it appears, atleast, on here... This is (or atleast used to be) the place to-be for tablet stuff (did everyone move on to Freaktab and others?)...

Concerning phones, currently got the Jiayu G4S (MTK6592). But the MTK6595 with 4G/LTE should be just around the corning waiting to make an appearance, so I can't wait for that!

In meanwhile I've gotten the Kingzone K1 Turbo in for review. I wanted to see what Kingzone as a brand was like and now with a lot of 5.5" phones (like the OnePlusOne)... can I get used to size or will I prefer 4.7"/5.0"?

So I'm gonna play around a little with that, till the next gen is there. Should be some availlable somewhere next month I believe.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I've actually expected people to be more into the new generation, than it appears, atleast, on here... This is (or atleast used to be) the place to-be for tablet stuff (did everyone move on to Freaktab and others?)...
Yes, very quiet in here about the new tablets with rk3288 or A80 chips. No idea why. Maybe everybody is spent out buying rk3188, A31, Intel Z2xxx or Amlogic m802 tablets???

rk3288 or A80 are huge performance jump from rk3188 or A31. Also, big jump from m802 or Z2xxx and compare very similar to Z3xxx.

Only tablets worth buying now are those with rk3288, A80 and Z3xxx chips.

Also, my next tablet must have eMMC. Very important since makes a big difference. Ramos and Teclast started using eMMC on Z2xxx tablets. IFive supposed to use eMMC with rk3288 tablets. Onda have eMMC with V989 (A80) tablet. No idea for Pipo. Couldn't find any information anywhere. Pipo maybe still coming with nand flash? Need to see androbench results to know for sure.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It seems Rockchip takes a long time to get new chips onto devices, then even longer to get the firmware optimized. I really liked the 3066 chip, but never was impressed enough by 3188 to run out and get one until recently, and it is still disappointing. I just picked up an Asus Memo Pad 7 with z3745 for $129. With performance close to snapdragon 800, I can see why people are not that interested in taking a chance on a Chinese tablet when there's almost no price or performance advantage.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I just picked up an Asus Memo Pad 7 with z3745 for $129. With performance close to snapdragon 800, I can see why people are not that interested in taking a chance on a Chinese tablet when there's almost no price or performance advantage.
Yes, Z37xx (x86) is a really great chip for tablets but the battery life is a little worse compared to ARM type chips. I think about 20% worse. Could maybe even be 25% or 30%? Now we have rk3288 and A80 which perform very close to z37xx but have somewhat better battery time.

I consider Intel, Nvidia, Qualcomm and Samsung 1st tier for chip making. Rockchip, AllWinner and Amlogic are 2nd tier which are little worse quality. 1st tier will have better overall hardware design and software support. ie. chip maker works on modifying kernel for Android and Linux to work with their chip. etc.

rk3288 tablets from Pipo (P1 & P8 shipping; P9 not yet), Teclast (p90HD shipping), iFive Mini 4 (shipping in 1-2 weeks), Chuwi V88 rk3288, Yuandao M11PRO. Cube may use them too but I don't care about them. Most China tablet makers seem to be going with rk3288 chip. Lots of choice for rk3288 tablets coming.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I hope the rk3288 tablets do well. The success of the earlier allwinner & rockchip cpu was what led to Intel getting into the mobile chip market so heavily. Competition is good for us consumers, now you can buy very powerful tablets for very reasonable prices.

sent from hdx+ with tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
It seems Rockchip takes a long time to get new chips onto devices, then even longer to get the firmware optimized. I really liked the 3066 chip, but never was impressed enough by 3188 to run out and get one until recently, and it is still disappointing. I just picked up an Asus Memo Pad 7 with z3745 for $129. With performance close to snapdragon 800, I can see why people are not that interested in taking a chance on a Chinese tablet when there's almost no price or performance advantage.
I used to check slatedroid many times a day, since my pandigital novel! but its gone real quiet.

I agree that the problem is that tablet prices have dropped so low that there isn't much interest in trying an untested china tablet anymore. I've currently got 11 tablets (for a family of 5) mainly because I can get them SO cheap after they've been out for a year or so. I still have several HP Touchpads even, and they are working just perfect for my young kids.

I was very excited about the 3288 chip, and might still get something just to try it out

·
Registered
211 Posts
Concerning phones, currently got the Jiayu G4S (MTK6592). But the MTK6595 with 4G/LTE should be just around the corning waiting to make an appearance, so I can't wait for that!

In meanwhile I've gotten the Kingzone K1 Turbo in for review. I wanted to see what Kingzone as a brand was like and now with a lot of 5.5" phones (like the OnePlusOne)... can I get used to size or will I prefer 4.7"/5.0"?

So I'm gonna play around a little with that, till the next gen is there. Should be some availlable somewhere next month I believe.
I've never used any of the MTK processors, but there are lots of tempting phones with them. I really like the look and specs on that Kingzone K1 Turbo. I'd never heard of it until I stumbled on it on the OnePlus One forum. I'd LOVE to hear your feedback on that phone.

I'm currently using 4.7" phone and have a hard time imagining going bigger. I passed on my invite to buy the OPO because I was worried it was just too big.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also hope that these rk3288 processors are good performers, Ive had rk3066 and then rk3188 processor tablets. The Rk3188 tablets left a lot to be desired, especially the cheap Pipo s1 pro. I got a tegra note 7 when it came out and it totally blew away my Chinese tablets in terms of performance, sound quality etc. I use a dedicated tablet for my bedroom, I was using a window n80rk, but the plug connector in the tablet got too loose from using it plugged in. I was looking for a replacement but the rk3288 and a80 based tablets were too expensive or not mature enough to get so I got the clone of the tegra note, the HP Slate 7 Extreme. It is a great tablet, and constantly has new ota updates. Not to mention I got it for $130 on amazon. That is the problem with these Chinese market tablets. 1)There is a lack of unbiased reviews that are honest. 2)The quality compared to older US market tablets like the HP S7E is not good(bad camera/speaker(s)/screen). 3) The Chinese tablets usually have zero OTA updates and you have to rely on sites like this one to have a large interest in that particular tablet you purchase. 5) Slatedroid and other sites seem to have gone down in new posts for the new tablets coming out, making the chance of having to deal with stock roms. I think I'm going to hold off buying a rk3288 or a80 based tablet until they mature alot more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts