Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine wanted a versitle ereader and instead of mying a generic android she bought a nook (2 weeks prior to color).However, we were discussing books yesterday and i was showing her how amazon has a function that allows you to "demo" their books on the kindle SW on your PC, android etc (basically you get 4 - 5 pages, TOC cover etc)Well when I pulled mine up on my desktop I drilled down to the library for the 1st time, and found that amazon is not only using what appears to be a proprietary format, but its in 3 pieces per book?So then she asked the question of can NOOK users buy or read amazon books?From what I can see Calibre is not going to convert this so my instinct says no, but not having one to play with I ask all you folks who DO have them.can you read/buy books from amazon? do THEY offer a version of kinle for the nook?I know theres an android one, but I dopnt think that will work on a stock nook.thanksJ

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
3 pieces per book? Is it possible you're seeing the cover and some junk?I don't think, but haven't tried, to use kindle on the nook. I can tell you, however, we will not discuss at length how this is done here, that you can dedrm a kindle book bought legitimately for use in calibre to convert. I have not done that, but have seen it done. Your essential question is whether you can use a kindle book on a nook directly, and the answer is no.I have a nook. You can "read in store" on the nook, which allows you an hour a day to literally "take the book off the shelf" at a BN and read it on your nook. That's the equivalent of demoing on a kindle, I think.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply.but yes that was my bottom line questionI have no hesitation that the nooks can be hacked back to basic android and then load whatever you want.but this young lady is NOT that technically curious or adventerous, so I wanted to find out if there were a method that she could read books bought at amazon on her nook.BTW: 2 things1) yes they do break the cover out into a seperate file, then there is another 2k file (unkown) and then the bulk of the book is in a compressed format AZW I think2) Calibre doesnt know what to do with ANY of the partsthanks again!j

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
mindwave;91001]I have no hesitation that the nooks can be hacked back to basic android and then load whatever you want.[/QUOTE]I do. The two screens said:
BTW: 2 things1) yes they do break the cover out into a seperate file, then there is another 2k file (unkown) and then the bulk of the book is in a compressed format AZW I think2) Calibre doesnt know what to do with ANY of the parts
As I recall, you can crack the azw such that the other parts don't matter. look at this: When Editing Azw files in Calibre... - MobileRead ForumsTry a google search.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lawman, thanks for the commentsthe calibre thing i had looked on the calibre site, i didnt go to deep since its not actrually my issue, but I know she has a copy of caliber, whether she USES it or not well....thanksj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts