Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be old news to some but there is a way to load ubuntu on android. Specifically to the C91 tablet as I have done it already. I switched to the LXDE instead of Gnome and use tight vnc server and android vnc to get to the ubuntu gui. It actually works very well. Basically this is a chrooted ubuntu running over the android so android functions are not lost. It is more of a virtual ubuntu. The roms we have from Zenithink have loop support which makes this mod possible. Now we may be able to carry this further because there is are ARM ports of ubuntu available. If Zenithink won't release source code for the kernel, ubuntu certainly has source code for the ARM port so we can just compile a kernel with the drivers needed for the C91. Ubuntu and debian (which C91 uses for kernel I believe) are similar so making a new kernel for the C91 should not be that difficult. We know what hardware we have. I am going to explore this some more but as I travel a lot for my job I don't have a lot of time. We may even be able to fully run linux/ubuntu on the Zenithinks without android. Would that not be a nice thing? Any way to a search for "ubuntu on android" and you will find instructions on how to get ubuntu running on top of android. It is really neat and easy to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts