Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WIPFirst a warning this is almost completely useless. The display and wifi don't work but every project has to start somewhere. I'm sharing this in hope of finding people who want to get ubuntu running on the A81. This setup runs from a memory card and doesn't break android. The only display is through a serial connection. Thanks to sittisaks and A81 linux 2629 kernel download : Android - Page 2 I was able to set this up. The uboot setup in the download enables usb2serial. I was not able to get a driver working for Windows 7 64bit. In theory a person could run console by plugging in a usb straight to the A81. So here is the download for the brave wits-ubuntu.tgz - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download.Now instructionsYou will need a linux install. Also a memory card at least a 1gig. Download file. Decompress. Enter directory.
Code:
tar zxvf wits-ubuntu.tgzcd rootstockchmod a+x mk3PartSDCardrun ./mk3PartSDCard {mmc} [I]"example- ./mk3PartSDCard /dev/sde"[/I]
Mount the first and second partitionCopy MLO boot.scr u-boot.bin uImage and uInitrd to the first partition.Enter where you mounted the second partition. Warning very important you could wipe out your system if you enter the wrong folder. decompress armel-rootfs-201008071910.tgz
Code:
tar zxvf armel-rootfs-201008071910.tgz
unmount partitionsBoot A81 like you were going to flash an update. Username: ubuntu password: tempI'm going to work on getting the display working. I don't take credit for most of this. ubuntu rootstock made the rootfs. Got u-boot from Downloads - beagleboard - Project Hosting on Google Code.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is a slightly OT question: does the serial port connection work underthe default android? If so, I could use this to project slides for school work!!Oh -- please don't scream -- what about the S-video connector -- does it under under android as well?THANKS!

·
Registered
135 Posts
[quote name='ficklecycler;33528]There is no connector for either' date=' only a space on the circuit board.[/QUOTE'] True; the OP (and the embedded links there) does describe how to build a VGA connector.Speaking of S-video: I can see from the photo (page 1 of the first link in the OP) where it says clearly "TV/S_video", but I couldn't see the soldering spots, probably because of the angle from which the picture was taken? Could anyone confirm the existence of soldering spots?And I'm VERY interesting in knoning if this VGA hack would work in android. It would make my school/work life so much easier.THANKS!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes the serial works in android. Brings up the android shell. Progress report. I am able to use the android kernel. The blacklight is initializing but I don't think ubuntu knows where to send the video. Think if I mess with the omapfb settings in u-boot I can tell it where to go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Download the new Android 809.Erase my mlo, uImage, and u-boot.bin on memory cardPlace Android 0809 mlo, uImage, and mmcuboot.bin on memory cardRename mmcuboot.bin to mmcflash.binNow ubuntu boots using new android kernel. I have been concentrating on only getting video. I don't think wireless will be to hard. I have been using a usb network adapter to get network access from ubuntu.Wits made it alot easier by suppling mmcuboot.bin. Wish it would read my boot.scr instead of just using somedefaults.

·
Registered
23 Posts
turtlehazard;38037 said:
So I finally getting somewhere. Have posted a video booting into enlightenment on the A81-E at my new blog. It is not ubuntu but its a start. I will post downloads and instruction soon.A81-E Running Angstrom
Nice work. I am waiting for my tablet to arrive (in few days) and then I have plans to port MeeGo and Angstrom on it. Infact I think since it is based on beagleboard so with little effort we can port all beagleboard OSes to it. Problems will be with drivers of GPS, Bluetooth etc which can be sorted out later with community help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.