Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so how important is Netflix really?

I know it seems to be on almost every tablets wish list.

I ask because I have inadvertently got a perfect working Netflix on the Supernnova while building the Ubernova V2.0. I haven't decide whether to continue on this line or maybe release a fix instruction set. It is a convoluted process that I found strictly by mistake, lol.

So is Netflix a big deal for you all or not so much?

·
Registered
104 Posts

I ask because I have inadvertently got a perfect working Netflix on the Supernnova while building the Ubernova V2.0. I haven't decide whether to continue on this line or maybe release a fix instruction set. It is a convoluted process that I found strictly by mistake, lol.

I really like it!

Jammer

·
Registered
34 Posts

I can take it or leave it

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so far so good. Here is the deal. I was messing around with the different stock images. I was pissed because I had a brand new 2TB drive die with all my stuff on it, so I have had to download everything all over again. I had been getting different stock roms and I accidentally used the root.tgz from the failsafe image in the 01/12 firmware. It updated and netflix from a previous test was still on and I accidentally launched it. Much to my surprise it popped up pretty smoothly and so I decided to try to watch a movie and it took about a minute or two to sync but once it did it ran great.

The problem is something in the pre12/11 firmware does not like the tweaks I make for wifi. It recreates the same problem the stock firmware had when they released the 10/11 firmware that would get the error and not load the wifi. If you do a factory reset it will work for awhile, then do it again.

So I have to decide if I want to try the tweaks line by line to find the issue, just leave the wifi alone, which isn't bad but can run smoother, or just stick with the newer firmware as a base and hope netflix pulls it's head out of it's rear and starts allowing people to use older versions again without force updates.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok so far so good. Here is the deal. I was messing around with the different stock images. I was pissed because I had a brand new 2TB drive die with all my stuff on it, so I have had to download everything all over again. I had been getting different stock roms and I accidentally used the root.tgz from the failsafe image in the 01/12 firmware. It updated and netflix from a previous test was still on and I accidentally launched it. Much to my surprise it popped up pretty smoothly and so I decided to try to watch a movie and it took about a minute or two to sync but once it did it ran great.

The problem is something in the pre12/11 firmware does not like the tweaks I make for wifi. It recreates the same problem the stock firmware had when they released the 10/11 firmware that would get the error and not load the wifi. If you do a factory reset it will work for awhile, then do it again.

So I have to decide if I want to try the tweaks line by line to find the issue, just leave the wifi alone, which isn't bad but can run smoother, or just stick with the newer firmware as a base and hope netflix pulls it's head out of it's rear and starts allowing people to use older versions again without force updates.
Any idea on when we might see this new V.2.0 release?

I'm willing to test... I have my wife's PDSN with a cracked screen I could use if I connect it to my TV via HDMI, so it wouldn't matter if it bricked or not. She already got a replacement; a Craig tablet running ICS 4.0, so she wouldn't care.

Let me know if you want me to test.

Jammer

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any idea on when we might see this new V.2.0 release?

I'm willing to test... I have my wife's PDSN with a cracked screen I could use if I connect it to my TV via HDMI, so it wouldn't matter if it bricked or not. She already got a replacement; a Craig tablet running ICS 4.0, so she wouldn't care.

Let me know if you want me to test.

Jammer
Maybe this week. I am still having problems with the wifi tweaks.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update, close to releasing 2.0. I built it off the factory fail safe firmware. Netflix is working awesome with no tweaks. I finally got WiFi working better. Testing some system tweaks for overall performance. Should be soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're awesome. Rabid runs great on my Supernova, can't wait for this one. It was a gift to me, as are most of my gadgets but, if I had literally even a few bucks, I'd donate in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's just taking a little more time. I lost my Linux install and now it won't re-install dual boot. So my choice is to wipe everything and start over or to run a live cd but have to start from scratch every time I reboot. For now I am using the live CD.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's just taking a little more time. I lost my Linux install and now it won't re-install dual boot. So my choice is to wipe everything and start over or to run a live cd but have to start from scratch every time I reboot. For now I am using the live CD.
I understand that. Been having troubles with my tablet and had to reload it...again. I've only done it like 4-5 times now, or so Google Play seems to think.

I'm just hoping you can get this done soon, so I can load it up and get going better. The main things I want on mine are Netflix and Kindle apps, along with the normal root stuff; Titanium Backup, etc. The rest of the stuff I like and want I can always add back in again.

In the UberMod v1, there was an app that I didn't really see the point of. It looked like it just showed the versions of stuff on the tablet. I didn't see any other reason for it, though. Can't remember the name of it, though I know it started with a "C".

Jammer

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're the man, sorry you're having troubles, we all understand PC related issues haha. Fact is, your ROM makes the Supernova (And yes, it IS a great tablet for how ridiculously cheap you can get it, and it's fast!) a greater gadget and fun. And well, most of us love flashing and toying with it/them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just an update, close to releasing 2.0. I built it off the factory fail safe firmware. Netflix is working awesome with no tweaks. I finally got WiFi working better. Testing some system tweaks for overall performance. Should be soon.
Forgot to say: Awesome on the Netflix front. My daughter loves her My Little Pony on it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand that. Been having troubles with my tablet and had to reload it...again. I've only done it like 4-5 times now, or so Google Play seems to think.

I'm just hoping you can get this done soon, so I can load it up and get going better. The main things I want on mine are Netflix and Kindle apps, along with the normal root stuff; Titanium Backup, etc. The rest of the stuff I like and want I can always add back in again.

In the UberMod v1, there was an app that I didn't really see the point of. It looked like it just showed the versions of stuff on the tablet. I didn't see any other reason for it, though. Can't remember the name of it, though I know it started with a "C".

Jammer
The Only C on there was CM# a benchmark app so people could see the performance difference with any changes they made.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be posting 2.0 this weekend. I am trying to work out an issue with netflix. If I preinstall it it won't run. So If I can't fix that I will include the working version in the zip file to install after flashing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I will be posting 2.0 this weekend. I am trying to work out an issue with netflix. If I preinstall it it won't run. So If I can't fix that I will include the working version in the zip file to install after flashing.
I, for one, appreciate all of your efforts to help us improve these tablets.

Jammer

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
uploading now, will post the link when I get home. Ended up having to install the Netflix app separate.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Only C on there was CM# a benchmark app so people could see the performance difference with any changes they made.
Ok. Yeah, now I remember, it was CaffeinMark. I thought that was what it was for, but since I didn't have it installed or run before, it didn't really show me anything I could use.

Looking forward to trying v.2.0!

Thanks.

Jammer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts