Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this on June 19 on a different forum, but it seems more relevant to post it here as well. This is a recap of my experience with the Apad after two weeks of use. So I got my Moonse E7001 Apad on June 4th, and I've now had two weeks to work with it. I wanted to spend some time with the unit before sharing my opinions so I could give it a fair shake.I have not rooted or flashed this product in any way; simply added some apps from the Market. Otherwise, this system has been used for two weeks as it was when it came out of the box.I want to say up front that one should keep their expectations realistic with this unit. Let's face it, this is a cheaply priced, quickly built Ipad look alike unit. It needs to be handled and treated as such. If you don't expect performance nearing the Ipad, you won't be let down. You can't go in to purchasing an Apad thinking it's going to replace a netbook or notebook. Think of it more as an avenue for a better experience handling the type of data you might normally turn to your cell phone for.While the Apad looks nice upon first glance, it becomes apparent after holding it for any length of time that while it's solid, it's cheaply constructed. A little extra care and handling will go a long way to insuring the unit continues to operate well over the long haul. I bought a small neoprene netbook case and I would credit this to my Apad not having some of the problems others have discussed elsewhere in this forum.For regular web surfing, normal email checking and other similar tasks, this is a nice little machine. The resistive screen, while not ideal for scrolling, is still relatively functional. I trimmed a generic non-glare screen protector designed for a netbook, and got more of a tactile feel and smoother scrolling which has improved the experience.The entire boot sequence takes under a minute, and you're off and running. I am going to assume that if you're here, you have a functional understanding of the Android OS, and all the great customizations it brings.Getting on to wifi at home or in public settings hasn't been an issue whatsoever.The standard browser does a solid job of standard browsing. I also added Opera, and Skyfire as supplements to enhance the experience.The standard browser is fairly quick and responsive as long as you don't have too many programs running. I've found that all 3 browsers go into their own 'force close' when the system is being taxed. This can be rather frustrating and sometimes happens without warning.Sometimes, you don't need the standard full web page, and I've found that Opera on the Apad works very well for viewing Mobile websites.Because of its ability to play video other browser can't handle, I added Skyfire. It works well for viewing YouTube and other such sites. For regular websurfing, it can be a bit clunky. If you have Skyfire installed but are surfing with the standard browser and you click on a video, an option to open the video with Skyfire will be shown, so you don't have to go out of your way to use it.Overall, browsing works out pretty well here. Graphic or flash intensive web sites can take a while to load or can even cause a force close, but for the most part, this is a decent web surfing experience.As for sound and music, the internal speaker is somewhat weak, but I haven't found it as intolerable as others on the forum. For me personally, using the pad is more of a private experience anyway which requires the use of headphones. The standard headphones that ship with the Apad are the cheap kind you'd find at the Dollar Tree. Functional but crappy. Plug in a pair of your own and the sound is really quite nice. The built in music player works well, and there are several options in the App Market that really provide a great experience when using it as a music player.I loaded a couple of movies onto my sd card, and both play well with the built in player. Both movies were converted using handbrake for an ipod touch, and look and sound good here. The Apad specs say it will handle 720p video, but play at this level is a bit choppy. I know we all want the top performance these days, but the 480p video looks pretty damn good on this unit.Now on to the battery....battery life is not top notch. However, it's noted in several forums and on the 2 page notesheet my seller included that you should do 2 full charge cycles of at least 10 hours after first getting the Apad. He had already put the first 10 hour charge on my tablet the day I picked it up, so I used it at coffee shop with free wi-fi until it ran dead after a little less than 3 hours of solid surfing. I took it home and ran the second 10 hour cycle and now I get about 3 hours and 15 minutes of solid web surfing.I credit two things to the battery usage; 1. Adjusting the brightness of the screen. While generally a no-brainer, when on battery power I turn the screen down to the lowest brightness I can and still have decent functionality. Even a slight adjustment seems to help the battery. Of course when I'm plugged in, I crank the screen all the way up! 2. A week ago I added Automatic Task Killer from the Market. I know this is a contentious issue in the Android phone community, but I've seen tremendous results in both battery power and overall performance since adding the app. As expected, the unit can be used while plugged in and it will continue to charge, though charging is slower while in use.With the wi-fi off, I get close to six hours of various functions including video, music, ebooks and other tasks . But let's be honest, this is designed to be an internet connected device.Ebook reading is perfectly fine for casual reading. I must say, I'd rather use a Nook or Kindle for serious ongoing reading, but for grabbing a book for a weekend getaway, the Apad and the Aldiko Book Reader app work perfectly well.The camera on this unit, as noted elsewhere, is pretty crappy. With that said, it functions fine with Fring and other video messaging apps. I'm not sure how or why anyone would want or try to do more with the camera than that.Earlier I mentioned a couple of rare force close issues, and prior to adding Automatic Task Killer, I had a couple of situations where the system became interminably slow. In those instances, I simply did a full power off by throwing the little power switch, waiting a few seconds and then booting back up. Problem solved!The USB ports both work fine for transferring files over from a pc or using a flash drive. I've not experienced problems with either.For the record, I use my Apad primarily under two circumstances. One, I use it while I'm sitting in my chair watching tv for sufing and email. Two, I've taken it on a couple of weekend getaways instead of taking my notebook for the same tasks.I must say, I'm happy with the overall experience of my Apad. I take care of the unit and treat it gently. I believe this is something that hasn't been stressed enough in the forums. I can't emphasize enough that this is a cheap device, not a technological advancement. It's a device of convenience and fun, not necessity and practicality. Know this going in, and I believe you'll have as pleasant a user experience as I have.FOOTNOTE: I bought my Apad from a seller on Ebay, stuff2diy, who I noticed was selling and shipping from Sacramento, which is about an hour from me. I contacted him to see if I could pick up the item rather than ship it and we made all the arrangements. For me, meeting the seller, and seeing and handling the Apad first hand before purchasing it made a big difference. This seller even included a two page info sheet of some common questions, and a translation of some of the Chinese symbols that pop up before changing the settings over to the "Android Keyboard" option.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.