Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing was released teamed with BN. Why the hell can't we get wifi access at BN then? I try the stock browser, and when I try to click on the link at the top of the page to enable me to sign in for wifi, it won't click. I do the same with dolphin, and the same problem happens. With opera, it can't even get to the BN home page to click the link.Is the login link on their website java and that causing the problem, or is there some issue I don't know about? Anyone got the pdn to work on the wifi at BN yet?

·
Registered
13 Posts
[quote name='lawman;51313]This thing was released teamed with BN. Why the hell can't we get wifi access at BN then? I try the stock browser' date=' and when I try to click on the link at the top of the page to enable me to sign in for wifi, it won't click. I do the same with dolphin, and the same problem happens. With opera, it can't even get to the BN home page to click the link.Is the login link on their website java and that causing the problem, or is there some issue I don't know about? Anyone got the pdn to work on the wifi at BN yet?[/QUOTE'] i can get to the bn website but cant leave i try to go to email and it loops me right back to bn website ditto for weather and stocks etc.

·
Registered
180 Posts
glamourking;52196 said:
i can get to the bn website but cant leave i try to go to email and it loops me right back to bn website ditto for weather and stocks etc.
I had the same experience at the closest B&N tonight, although that was only after I fooled around for over a half hour not getting any AP's to scan that my smartphone with wifi could pick up easily, then I restarted the PDN, and everyone in the neighborhood (mall) showed up on the PDN - weird. I could then go all over the BN site, but nothing "outside" - like some kind of super locked down corporate firewall would do. Now that I think about it, I have had similar experiences with my Nokia N810 Internet Tablet - the IT browser would often seem to be "stuck inside" the BN site, although not always.I started to download a free ebook, but when BN wanted me to log in with my password, and I realized it was NOT "https" (i.e. secured), but wide-open plain-text "http" on the URL, I killed that notion - too many others in the store with their notebooks doing who knows what could intercept my credentials and charge our "default credit card" to download a bunch of ebooks before I could get alerted by the credit card company.Just for funsies I then connected to the Apple Store's open AP across the way, and then got an https URL for BN to log in (as well as getting right into my Google Mobile home page intially), and "order" the free ebook - something is wrong with this picture...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Figured it out. The trick is to get the AT&T Wayport TOS screen to pop up after the BN homepage, then click the tiny box to accept the TOS. Getting that screen to pop up is the challenge - timing seems to be the key. Just keep clicking/tapping that AT&T wifi message bar at top till yo see the TOS window.Sent from my PDN at BN.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried, but will keep trying... can't we get dolphin browser to open pop ups?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol. I get the bar on the side... i just turn it 90 degrees...haven't tried xscope...

·
Registered
180 Posts
lawman;57424 said:
lol. I get the bar on the side... i just turn it 90 degrees...haven't tried xscope...
Couple more thoughts now I am home and can use a real PC/keyboard ("Better Keyboard" may be better, but typing on-screen with no tactile feedback and lagging response is still tedious for me): I was forced to revert to the stock launcher (self-inflicted damage from my attempt to save battery while on the go by setting screen brightness to minimum with the power widget on with Launcher Pro, and then not being able to get it to respond after I got settled in BN for the wifi experiment; then a reboot after pulling the battery connection still brought LP's launcher selection up on the fully dimmed screen, and I missed the right tap which gave me the stock launcher, so I figured what the hey, and went with that), so dunno if that let the TOS pop-up break out, or what.I plan on trying Skyfire next time I am in there to see how it does with the popup. Oh - I also bookmarked the popup while I had it, so that might give me another option.FWIW and good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
[quote name='AJP;57603]I was able to connect to the ATTWIFI at my local B & N. However' date=' when I would click on the agreement bar nothing would happen.[/QUOTE'] That's the part I was referring to about "keep tapping" - it is supposed to cause a pop-up window for the TOS agreement, and that seems to be hit or miss with the Webkit browser getting it to appear. Until you do get the TOS window to appear so you can click the agreement button (very tiny), you are stuck "inside" the BN site.Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having the same problem while at BN. Tried skyfire, xscope and dolphin. The only browser that worked consistently was the default Browser. It was the only one that would bring up the TOS when you tap on the "option" button on the AT&T section of the BN website. After you get the TOS, just check the agree box and off you go.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried for hours one day and never got it to work...

·
Registered
180 Posts
OK - try this:My saved link for the TOS page looks like this:http://nmd.bn[Store number].durhanc.wayport.net/index.adp[....]As I recall, that base URL with your store number (on all their receipts), and the city/state part (durham abbreviated to durha - 7 character limit for city/state?) will get you to the TOS page (maybe add "/index.adp" - play with variations depending on what you see with the first URL that appears when you connect in the store. I think the idea is to not get all the way into the BN site, with a longer URL. I would need to hack around with it in the store, and pay closer attention to what URL's are involved.FWIW

·
Registered
180 Posts
[quote name='AJP;60018]I will try again' date=' this Sunday. Let's hope my poor finger doesn't get tendinitis.[/QUOTE'] Well, I don't think speed is the key, so much as "timing" in seeing/catching the window. Wait a few seconds after each attempt to give that sluggish PDN time to process everything - hard to tell with this single-window interface. I will try to get in to another store this weekend to fool with their Wayport setup to see if any pattern is evident. I think the key could be starting with a direct link to the AP without trying to "catch" it from the BN internal home site page via pop-up. Once Wayport registers your assent to their TOS, that seems to open up the access to the 'net.Maybe I should haul along my super netbook Fuji P1610 to analyze in a "normal" (X)windowing environment...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.