Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
This is for the bluetooth version and it works on both 1 gb Ram and 2 Gb Ram devices.

-Built on 05/09 Release from Chuwi - This firmware does apparently make the screen a smidge brighter. Brilliant screen to begin with though!
-Rooted
-Chinese stuff removed
-English language set as default, English timezone
-Added some handy apps
-Default home-page in browser changed to our paid search! Thanks for using it. If you don't like it you can switch the homepage out. Searches using that page help support our efforts!
-Branded HD background
-Swapped keyboard sounds for less harsh/nicer Cyanogen Mod keyboard sounds
-English dictionary fix applied
-Pretty Google "X" boot animation

Get it from here: http://www.rockchipfirmware.com/node/159

Been testing this and it works great! Chuwi V88 is a rockn' tablet!

Cheers,

Roman

PS - First boot with new firmware is REALLY slow. Just be patient.

PS - I am ad and donation supported on my site (rockchipfirmware.com). ONLY click ads if you have a genuine interest in what is being advertised. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Roman could this update help with freezing or crashing issues that my tab have now(stock) and do you know how to make a clean install for this tab I read in another thread that this action can help so do you know something about it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks, yet again, Roman for a another tidy Android firmware. So, glad you're also hooked on the v88.

I found that I'm getting a better Antutu score now - in the mid 17k, up from mid 16k

(This thread should probably be moved to: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/817-firmware-release/"

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Woot! Just found my v88 vendor. TNT prices their tablets a little higher than the Chinese sites, but you get quality ROM development, great CS and they QC all their tablets before sending them out using FedEx tracking. I consider TNT to be the mine sweeper for the DangerZone that Chinese vendors seem to live within. If they sell it, then they'll make sure it's working perfectly before sending it to you. Additionally, TNT has a warranty package that you can purchase so you only deal with TNT if you have any issues. This will be my fifth TNT tablet.

smithmal

ps - don't know if this is true or not, but their website suggests that you might be able to get the v88 in black. I haven't seen black offered anywhere else so you may want to confirm.
pps - TNT confirmed that they don't have black in yet, buy may when they acquire a later production run

·
Registered
32 Posts
What's the best way of flashing this ROM if I'm on a Linux (Debian Wheezy) machine? I have a VirtualBox with Windows XP installed that I've used once to flash my Xperia-phone, so is that the best way to go with this ROM as well?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Woot! Just found my v88 vendor. TNT prices their tablets a little higher than the Chinese sites, but you get quality ROM development, great CS and they QC all their tablets before sending them out using FedEx tracking. I consider TNT to be the mine sweeper for the DangerZone that Chinese vendors seem to live within. If they sell it, then they'll make sure it's working perfectly before sending it to you. Additionally, TNT has a warranty package that you can purchase so you only deal with TNT if you have any issues. This will be my fifth TNT tablet.

smithmal

ps - don't know if this is true or not, but their website suggests that you might be able to get the v88 in black. I haven't seen black offered anywhere else so you may want to confirm.
pps - TNT confirmed that they don't have black in yet, buy may when they acquire a later production run
^+1

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
What's the best way of flashing this ROM if I'm on a Linux (Debian Wheezy) machine? I have a VirtualBox with Windows XP installed that I've used once to flash my Xperia-phone, so is that the best way to go with this ROM as well?
Gahrgamel,

To flash this firmware you would need to use RKBatchtool v.1.6 or higher. Take a look are the firmware section of the v88 forum to obtain the tool. Natbyte also has a thread providing you with a Step by Step guide on how to use this tool. Please ask if you run into any issues.

Thanks,

smithmal

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
will there be a android 4.2 version for this magnificent tablet?
My bet is that Chuwi will provide an update to the latest Android OS, but it's debatable how much firmware support Chuwi will provide on this model. As all hardware components seem to be functioning fine with the 4/26 and 5/09 firmware builds, I wouldn't expect another firmware update unless Chuwi really thinks something needs to be improved upon. By all accounts the v88 certainly looks to be a viable product for them so continued support by upgrading the Android OS would lead to more sales, but it's up to the factory. Hopefully in the near future, ROMs like CyanogenMod or AOKP will become compatible with this tablet which is another avenue to acquire the latest Android OS for the v88.

Generally TNT's ROMs are built around what they consider to be a stable version of the factory's firmware. From there they clean it up (i.e remove Chinese bloatware), optimize, tinker with thinks like prop files and such. They may or may not release future ROM updates for this tablet. I'm betting that once Rockchip figures out how to optimize the RK3188 firmwares so it runs stable at 1.8 Ghz then you'll see another update from Chuwi and therefore another ROM update from TNT.

The fact that TNT has "adopted" this tablet is great news for us as it is in their best interest to support it so more potential buyers purchase from them. Among other things, the ROM development which TNT allows all to use freely whether or not you purchase your tablet from them is the main reason for my loyalty to their brand.

smithmal

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi roman,

thank you very much for your effort in customizing this firmware for chuwi v88. I have flashed it on my tablet but i got an error when trying to launch the camera app. Upon launching the camera, an error message popup "Can't connect to the camera." Any idea on how to solve/fix this problem?

your help will be much more appreciated.

thank you in advance.

by the way, i have the chuwi v88 2gb memory with bluetooth version

harold

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roman,

Can you tell us if TNT will be offering this tablet model?

Thanks,

smithmal
Yes definitely! Thanks for asking! Here is the product page:

I have already bought 3 of them myself... 1 was the initial tester, 1 was for my Wife (this is the first and only tablet she has ever been totally happy with) and 1 was for my boss who normally goes apple for the build quality but likes the Android OS a bit better. He was sold when I showed him the tester and realized how much better the specs are compared to the underwhelming iPad mini and at like $100 less the price...!

Screen is awesome, design is awesome, build quality is very good and something not many people have mentioned but the speaker is pretty much AMAZING as well!

http://www.topnotchtablets.com/buy_v88

Use coupon code at checkout: slateV88 for a $15 discount at checkout!

Cheers!

Roman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts