Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered one of these through QVC. With flex pay it's 6 payments @ $29 + I get until 2/12 to return it. It was a toss up between this or the newer Nextbook 8" with capacitive touch. The 8 was a little cheaper but I decide the extra cam and HDMI out was better for now. Anybody have any "first thing" recommendations for this pad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Personally I'd get something else. The build quality on the Nova is crap. One day I heard something rattling around inside mine and took the opportunity to crack it open and look around inside. one of the screw posts for the bottom two screws had cracked open (probably over-torqued on the assembly line) and a chunk of the post was rattling around. I expoxy'd in back in, but noticed that several other posts were also cracked. I'm anticipating building a custom case for this thing once this POS case completely falls apart.

Also, the cameras are crap. I couldn't even scan a barcode with the "3mp" back camera, and the front camera isn't picked up by any video chat application I've tried to so far (vTok, Fring, GTalk, Skype). Speaking of Skype, it'll load and sort of work for voice calls, but I'm getting horrible mic quality and I can't hear my caller. I also can't get it to dial out, only receive calls. Text chatting is painful, even with a stylus.

I paid $50 for mine, so I'm happy using it for test prep, PDF/Epub reading, RSS feeds, internet radio/white noise, but I couldn't imagine doing anything else with it, I'd tear my hair out.

I just ordered one of these through QVC. With flex pay it's 6 payments @ $29 + I get until 2/12 to return it. It was a toss up between this or the newer Nextbook 8" with capacitive touch. The 8 was a little cheaper but I decide the extra cam and HDMI out was better for now. Anybody have any "first thing" recommendations for this pad?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I'd get something else. The build quality on the Nova is crap. One day I heard something rattling around inside mine and took the opportunity to crack it open and look around inside. one of the screw posts for the bottom two screws had cracked open (probably over-torqued on the assembly line) and a chunk of the post was rattling around. I expoxy'd in back in, but noticed that several other posts were also cracked. I'm anticipating building a custom case for this thing once this POS case completely falls apart.

Also, the cameras are crap. I couldn't even scan a barcode with the "3mp" back camera, and the front camera isn't picked up by any video chat application I've tried to so far (vTok, Fring, GTalk, Skype). Speaking of Skype, it'll load and sort of work for voice calls, but I'm getting horrible mic quality and I can't hear my caller. I also can't get it to dial out, only receive calls. Text chatting is painful, even with a stylus.

I paid $50 for mine, so I'm happy using it for test prep, PDF/Epub reading, RSS feeds, internet radio/white noise, but I couldn't imagine doing anything else with it, I'd tear my hair out.
I can see where people have issues with the build quality, although it is more of a bad choice of materials than really a bad build. it's supposed to be high impact plastic, so we shall see. I have throw a few games at it that work well. it benches OK, a little better than mt Skypad and a hell of a lot better than my Flytouch 3. I do think they should be a little more descriptive about the soft screen and the case material. The display size is a love hate thing, sometimes I love it sometimes I hate it.

My cameras work great, although I haven't tried a barcode reader yet. Glare is so so, not much worse than any other pads without matte screens. We will see how it holds up. The nice thing about the QVC deal is I can return it no questions up until the last payment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I discovered some neat features yesterday though, don't know if it's Pandigital's doing or Gingerbread's, but not only is the USB port powered, but it loads a mouse driver! So, I plugged in a 2.4ghz KB/Mouse combo dongle and remoted into my Win7 desktop, it worked great! Flash drive was the same.

Sure the cameras work, but can you do anything with them other than use the stock camera app? I can't.

I can see where people have issues with the build quality, although it is more of a bad choice of materials than really a bad build. it's supposed to be high impact plastic, so we shall see. I have throw a few games at it that work well. it benches OK, a little better than mt Skypad and a hell of a lot better than my Flytouch 3. I do think they should be a little more descriptive about the soft screen and the case material. The display size is a love hate thing, sometimes I love it sometimes I hate it.

My cameras work great, although I haven't tried a barcode reader yet. Glare is so so, not much worse than any other pads without matte screens. We will see how it holds up. The nice thing about the QVC deal is I can return it no questions up until the last payment.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I discovered some neat features yesterday though, don't know if it's Pandigital's doing or Gingerbread's, but not only is the USB port powered, but it loads a mouse driver! So, I plugged in a 2.4ghz KB/Mouse combo dongle and remoted into my Win7 desktop, it worked great! Flash drive was the same.

Sure the cameras work, but can you do anything with them other than use the stock camera app? I can't.
Well I hosed my market. I just downloaded the latest signed gapps so once I install them I will try a couple of different bar code apps and see.

I did a little more playing with HDMI out and used my wireless mouse and keyboard on our big plasma downstairs. It is kind of nice. Even netflix look ok through hdmi out.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I tried 2 different code readers QR Droid and Barcode Scanner and both can scan QR code. QR just seems to want to read the code and go straight to the website in a browser. Barcode Reader can download . I downloaded the new game Castle of Shadows, Silent App Killer, and it even downloaded a pepsi commercial off my cup. Light seems to be the biggest issu. it does fie off of the TV or even another pads screen, but anything else seems to need a lot of light and little to no glare. Maybe another prog would do better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi! I'm new to the neighborhood of Android. A friend mentioned this site, so I
thought I'd drop by.
Wifey er...I mean Santa Claus, just ordered a SuperNova 8" DLX for me.
This
will be my first experience with a Tablet AND with Android. What am I in for?

Can I get to the "root" dir? I'd like to view the files and get a sense of the file structure.
What can I and can I not do? What should I do first, out of the box? Can anyone
give me some tips and/or tricks? How does the BlueTooth work, good, bad, or? I would
love to connect a BT GPS to this.

Video chat/Skype is one of the features I was most looking forward to. Any mods to help that?

My main intended uses are:

1. Internet
2. YouTube music
3. Listening to music
4. Skype/VideoChat with my kids & Grandkids
5. Reading
6. Modding/Hacking/Learning Android
7. Having fun!

Thanks for any comments you may take the time to leave.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi! I'm new to the neighborhood of Android. A friend mentioned this site, so I
thought I'd drop by.
Wifey er...I mean Santa Claus, just ordered a SuperNova 8" DLX for me.
This
will be my first experience with a Tablet AND with Android. What am I in for?

Can I get to the "root" dir? I'd like to view the files and get a sense of the file structure.
What can I and can I not do? What should I do first, out of the box? Can anyone
give me some tips and/or tricks? How does the BlueTooth work, good, bad, or? I would
love to connect a BT GPS to this.

Video chat/Skype is one of the features I was most looking forward to. Any mods to help that?

My main intended uses are:

1. Internet
2. YouTube music
3. Listening to music
4. Skype/VideoChat with my kids & Grandkids
5. Reading
6. Modding/Hacking/Learning Android
7. Having fun!

Thanks for any comments you may take the time to leave.
I haven't tested skype beyond the test call so can;t say if it will work or not. You can root the Supernova using Gingerbreak 1.2. Over all I have been really happy with the Supernova for the price. With that bundle you are getting a better deal than I did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts