Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Nexus 7 a month or so back and am pretty happy with it as it came out of the box. Have loaded all my "must have" apps and Really like the 7" form factor. That said, can anyone give me a good argument on why I should "root" this tablet? I can't think of a thing I'm missing but I'm not sure what options rooting would open up.

My little gTab is feeling lonely these days. It's running Brilliant Corners and has been a great learning tool for Android. I may start using that one as a test bench / learning platform to dig deeper in the tweaking world.
Thanks.
KonRad

·
Registered
212 Posts
I picked up a Nexus 7 a month or so back and am pretty happy with it as it came out of the box. Have loaded all my "must have" apps and Really like the 7" form factor. That said, can anyone give me a good argument on why I should "root" this tablet? I can't think of a thing I'm missing but I'm not sure what options rooting would open up.

My little gTab is feeling lonely these days. It's running Brilliant Corners and has been a great learning tool for Android. I may start using that one as a test bench / learning platform to dig deeper in the tweaking world.
Thanks.
KonRad
if you want to use a ps3 / xbox controller on pretty much ANY game then you need sixaxis app or other which has TOUCH EMULATIOn so all onscreen button can be assigned to physical pad buttons

i.e. get modern combat 4 working with ps3 controller WIRELESSLY

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you want to use a ps3 / xbox controller on pretty much ANY game then you need sixaxis app or other which has TOUCH EMULATIOn so all onscreen button can be assigned to physical pad buttons

i.e. get modern combat 4 working with ps3 controller WIRELESSLY
Thanks for the info. Not a gamer so no benefit on that front. I guess it'll stay stock until some need pops up. I like simple.

KonRad

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Best not to root unless you have to.

People root their tablets because:
a] have to change build.prop for better Market listing.
b] to remove Chinese apps
c] a certain app may require it (ie. backup programs)

Nexus 7 should not be affected by a] & b] above. Only time to root with Nexus 7 is with c]. Also, rooting disables Google movies app from working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was still on the stock ROM, the reason I rooted my Nexus 7 was because I wanted root-access apps. For example:
  • AdAway - Removes ads from websites.
  • Stickmount - Enables OTG, connect flash drives to your device.
  • TitaniumBackup - Backup all my apps in case something was to go wrong.
If you don't have a reason to root, just leave the tablet as it is until you find one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should root your N7 and then experiment with all the ROMs that are available out there. Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 7 comes with a really good default ROM from Google but I've been using it for a couple of months now and I got bored. I said, what the heck, I bought the droid because I'd like to customize it the way I want. For anything else, you have the iPads..

I setup some goals, that I will flash my Nexus 7 and try a different ROM each month. The first one which I used was the CM9.1 I think and now I'm trying out AOKP, to see if it's anywhere near the CM.

Like I said, you bought and Android device so you should experiment with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely root it, I held off for about 5 months until I gave in and theres a huge responsiveness difference to be had. I really don't know how to quantify it outside of saying it is significant and immediately noticeable. For twenty minutes of work, its time well spent. I'm running SmoothRom with the "Bricked" Kernal at 1.6GHZ on my N7 atm.

If you have any questions about step by step instructions and so forth feel free to shoot me a message.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely root it, I held off for about 5 months until I gave in and theres a huge responsiveness difference to be had. I really don't know how to quantify it outside of saying it is significant and immediately noticeable. For twenty minutes of work, its time well spent. I'm running SmoothRom with the "Bricked" Kernal at 1.6GHZ on my N7 atm.

If you have any questions about step by step instructions and so forth feel free to shoot me a message.
I'm still running stock but like the idea of Root. Problem at this time is that I've pretty well got the tab set up with all (a ton) of apps I like/need. I hate the idea of tossing that all away and having to reinstall everything. Catch 22 here: I need to do a full system back up before rooting but can't do the back up Until it's rooted... Suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
As far as I know I think you are stuck with losing all your apps and data until root unfortunately. I'm no expert on that matter so if anyone else could chime in with more info that would appreciated. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should root only when someone ports Samsung Galaxy roms with multiwindow support to our N7. I m waiting for that day to come before rooting my own N7 tablet which I am using for last 10 months.
One of the big disadvantage of custom roms are there always some bugs.
:D:DB)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got Nexus 7, i just upgrade to Nakasi JWR66Y and put TWRP and of course SuperSU.

My Purpose for Root is:
- ES Task Manager, i can disable a lot of un used startup apps, so i can boot faster.
- ES File Explorer, i can backup APK.
- Titanium Backup PRO, i can save all the setting of my installed apps, so i don't need to re configure if i re flash the ROM.

This Nexus 7 + JB + MX Player, can play Anime Hi10p smoothly, and the OS is so Smooth.
Battery life is wonderfull, no overheat when play game like in my Ainol.
I Will sell my Ainol Tablet, it's not worthed anymore to keep it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think for heavy users it's vital to root your android device. To be able to flash custom roms and really do what you wanna do with your device is just awesome. I already tested IOS and Windows Phone devices, but for me android is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts